Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-18-2016, 07:05 PM
Banned

Default homemade pvc jawjacker....what rod/reel should i use for pike?

I'm building some jawjackers for medium/heavy action rods to catch pike.Any suggestions on a rod/reel combo in the 38-40" range?

I made some smaller ones for walleye/perch rods and work perfect!
Old 01-18-2016, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PINEHURST-PIKE-FREAK View Post
I'm building some jawjackers for medium/heavy action rods to catch pike.Any suggestions on a rod/reel combo in the 38-40" range?

I prefer the st.croix ice series of rods - they come in those lengths, have an actual reel seat, decent size handle butt and really don't cost as much as you think at $ 30-$40.

Med/Heavy is perfect for pike.
Old 01-19-2016, 12:40 AM

Interesting. I thought about making a JJ. I sometimes take out a few people and I'm not dropping $50 X 5.
Do you mind sharing some pics and details of your builds?
Old 01-19-2016, 12:50 AM

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7RU3fqhwjsQ
Old 01-19-2016, 08:22 AM

Quote:

As you don't need a sensitive rod for this purpose don't spend the money on graphite. What you need are basically small downrigger rods so get the 30 inch high or all glass kind.

I spoke to a guy who has now broken 2 high end graphite rods with his jaw jacker, one of which was a St. Croix and he said the same thing. Get one with lots of glass.

Let us know how you make out.
Old 01-19-2016, 11:02 AM
Banned

Jaw jacker sucks balls for pike. Fyi. Stick to a tip up. Catch more fish.
Old 01-19-2016, 11:39 AM
Banned

Default jawjacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by binnzer32 View Post
Jaw jacker sucks balls for pike. Fyi. Stick to a tip up. Catch more fish.
i had 6 hits on my version yest ,6 fish!!

you need to hang a a slip on just passed the first eyelette from the reel with 6-8"s slack to give them a little time to grab the bait.I used a 3/32 welding rod bent to hook the eyelette and stick straight out to cradle the line to set it off.I can adjust the sensitivity by bending the part that goes into the rod.I'm going to order "ice stopper bobbers" I have also designed a wind powered self jigging tip up, 4 to 1 hits compared to a still bait set up. I can often ice 30 fish a day ! 2 big bags of herring.
Old 01-19-2016, 11:44 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayDoh View Post
Interesting. I thought about making a JJ. I sometimes take out a few people and I'm not dropping $50 X 5.
Do you mind sharing some pics and details of your builds?

i don't know how to post pics
Old 01-19-2016, 12:14 PM
Banned

Were any of them over 38 inches? ?

Quote:
i had 6 hits on my version yest ,6 fish!!

you need to hang a a slip on just passed the first eyelette from the reel with 6-8"s slack to give them a little time to grab the bait.I used a 3/32 welding rod bent to hook the eyelette and stick straight out to cradle the line to set it off.I can adjust the sensitivity by bending the part that goes into the rod.I'm going to order "ice stopper bobbers" I have also designed a wind powered self jigging tip up, 4 to 1 hits compared to a still bait set up. I can often ice 30 fish a day ! 2 big bags of herring.
Old 01-19-2016, 12:15 PM
Banned

36 at most
Old 01-19-2016, 12:21 PM
Banned

If the pike aren't being super aggressive and aren't hammering it and opening wide and flaring gills then your hook up rate will go to crap and trust me a tip up will work better. The only prob is sometimes they will take it too deep. Better for catch and keep. I love the hook set placement of jaw jacker though. Makes for easy removal and release. But the freezing hole issue is a pain in the arsh for jjs

Quote:
36 at most
Old 01-19-2016, 12:28 PM
Banned

Default jawjacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by binnzer32 View Post
If the pike aren't being super aggressive and aren't hammering it and opening wide and flaring gills then your hook up rate will go to crap and trust me a tip up will work better. The only prob is sometimes they will take it too deep. Better for catch and keep. I love the hook set placement of jaw jacker though. Makes for easy removal and release. But the freezing hole issue is a pain in the arsh for jjs

Freeze up is an issue for any tip up where the spool of line is above the water.The thing with a jaw jacker is that it will set the hook before they spit it out,in Wabamun this is a big prob ,they grab ahold,swim a foot and spit it.Wabamun fish are not very aggressive on a still bait,throw on a silver spoon and jig it and you will often hook up,I drill about 10 holes 60-80' apart and cruise hole to hole.I have 12" sq plywood cut with a 1" cut to the middle to slow down the freeze.
Old 01-19-2016, 03:45 PM

Not sure why you want a jaw jacker for pike. Big pike like big baits (typically) and having a system that sets the hook the instant a pike takes it will result in a lot of missed sets. nice idea for trout, pan fish and eyes but cant see it working for pike. my .02
Old 01-19-2016, 03:54 PM

I like the jaw jacker - if it's set up right any fish touching the bit will be quickly and humanely lip hooked. I jacked 7 of 8 today with only one lucky bugger tripping the jacker, taking my bait without getting hooked.

Out of the 7 that got a hook in the lip, 6 were iced (one came unbuttoned at the hole).

I don't use tip ups as often for the reasons Binnzer mentions. They will, quite often, take the bait very deep. Although the fish are released, some require a bit more surgery and bleed a bit leaving me to believe there is some higher level mortality associated with using a tip up versus a device like a jaw jacker.

If I was hunting big trophy pike - the tip up would be the way to go. I now use tandem singles on my tip up in an effort to reduce mortality and still hunt the big girls.

I also find the singles stay buttoned better too. Lost quite a few less fish with the single ..... and much easier to release.
Old 01-19-2016, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cube View Post
As you don't need a sensitive rod for this purpose don't spend the money on graphite. What you need are basically small downrigger rods so get the 30 inch high or all glass kind.

I spoke to a guy who has now broken 2 high end graphite rods with his jaw jacker, one of which was a St. Croix and he said the same thing. Get one with lots of glass.

Let us know how you make out.
I have had no issues with my St.Croix breaking on the jacker, and, after all, the warranty would cover it I think BUT you are right, if you are only going to use it for a jacker, the quality of the rod may be less of a concern. I don't disagree.

I just think there isn't a better mid to premium priced rod for the money - they are fantastic. I have 4 of them and they have become my baby blue go to rods.

I ussually like to use the same rods for a few different styles of fishing, but having said that, the one that is rigged for the jacker, stays pretty much on the jacker.