Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-16-2018, 09:43 PM

Default Calling Lake: Amazing year classes, amazing numbers

What more can be said. Out at the Lake with Glen and Marlo fixing a furnace problem and fishing, but not in that order.

Many double headers, finally a triple header. I need better fishing partners, because we should have had a lot more triple headers.

What is amazing is the many obvious year classes, and the heavy representation in each year class. Including "Unders & Overs".

This is admittedly prime time, and the heavy winds last week have pushed all sorts of feed onto the east shore by the town site. Sometimes as shallow as 5 fow in mid day!!!???

Have fun out there. If you have some non fishing friends or young kids, get them out there.

Drewski
Old 06-16-2018, 09:51 PM

Well then.....guess I'll see tomorrow!
Old 06-17-2018, 08:30 AM
Banned

Oh man I wish I didn't have a broken leg!
Old 06-17-2018, 02:17 PM

Shh, slot limits clearly dont work. Our govt makes sure to remind of this regularly lol...
Old 06-17-2018, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavYak View Post
Shh, slot limits clearly dont work. Our govt makes sure to remind of this regularly lol...
Can’t have big carrots if you pull all the medium carrots. Probably one of the worst analogies I’ve ever heard.
Old 06-17-2018, 03:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustinjoels View Post
Can’t have big carrots if you pull all the medium carrots. Probably one of the worst analogies I’ve ever heard.
Lol, the sky is falling!!!

Somebody kept a walleye!!!!!

There's only 7 million left in the lake, we'll never eat carrots again!!!!!!

Calling lake is a prime example of what can happen with proper management and some of you are so anti catch and keep that you're blind to the success.
Old 06-17-2018, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorne View Post
Well then.....guess I'll see tomorrow!
Haha...me too!
Old 06-17-2018, 11:35 PM

Default Dustinjoels, really???

The whole point of the slot is that the fish have spawned a few times before 45 cm. They have replaced themselves and then some.

If they get caught, their genetics have already passed on.

If they get past 55, and lots and lots of them do, then they are in fact the "big carrots".

Yes, I would like to see the opportunity to keep 28"++ fish for the month of August as the big ones that are caught are coming from the deep, are stressed by the warm water, and may not make it back down if released anyway.

A 28" walleye is about 8+ pds and about 17 years old. It has done its reproduction and recruitment 100 fold.

What happens to the big walleye is that they end up being caught by the FN & Metis "subsistence harvesters".

You and I do not get a chance to utilize the resource.

But the Asian Restaurants seem to benefit somehow!!! Besides, there may be some indirect sin taxes paid by the sellers!!

Lord knows, there is no enforcement for the lucky ones who get to place nets and them decide to sell fish. The mesh size used is targeting the big walleye. The small ones go through.

It clearly cost the special harvesters more in gas to get to the lake than what an equivalent week of groceries would cost. Can't understand the economics if it truly is subsistence, given the cost of net, boat, truck, gas, etc.

But yes Dustinjoels, this is who is pulling the "big carrots" from our lakes across northern Alberta.

Drewski
Old 06-18-2018, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewski Canuck View Post
The whole point of the slot is that the fish have spawned a few times before 45 cm. They have replaced themselves and then some.

If they get past 55, and lots and lots of them do, then they are in fact the "big carrots".

Yes, I would like to see the opportunity to keep 28"++ fish for the month of August as the big ones that are caught are coming from the deep, are stressed by the warm water, and may not make it back down if released anyway.

A 28" walleye is about 8+ pds and about 17 years old. It has done its reproduction and recruitment 100 fold.

What happens to the big walleye is that they end up being caught by the FN & Metis "subsistence harvesters".

But the Asian Restaurants seem to benefit somehow!!! Besides, there may be some indirect sin taxes paid by the sellers!!

Lord knows, there is no enforcement for the lucky ones who get to place nets and them decide to sell fish. The mesh size used is targeting the big walleye. The small ones go through.

It clearly cost the special harvesters more in gas to get to the lake than what an equivalent week of groceries would cost. Can't understand the economics if it truly is subsistence, given the cost of net, boat, truck, gas, etc.

But yes Dustinjoels, this is who is pulling the "big carrots" from our lakes across northern Alberta.

Drewski
Well me and my GF did fish Calling on Sunday and did keep our 1 fish each....lol....all factored in that 3 lbs of clean fillet cost about as much as a crate of lobster or many many meal of fine Ahi Tuna! That's right nothing but the best for my gal!
Old 06-18-2018, 12:42 PM

I could be wrong but I believe Dustin was agreeing with us. Slot limits make sense in every way because minimum sizes just guarantee all large fish get removed but at least with slots some survive.

Spencer was another slot lake that to my understanding also has a healthy population. Aep changed the regs this year so bigger fish arent protected anymore... Would be nice if the population now struggles so a guy can finally prove that Aeps views on slot limits are ridiculous(which they are because they are all based on when they tried using reverse slots which of course doesn't work in heavy fishing pressure areas...
Old 06-19-2018, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavYak View Post
I could be wrong but I believe Dustin was agreeing with us. Slot limits make sense in every way because minimum sizes just guarantee all large fish get removed but at least with slots some survive.

Spencer was another slot lake that to my understanding also has a healthy population. Aep changed the regs this year so bigger fish arent protected anymore... Would be nice if the population now struggles so a guy can finally prove that Aeps views on slot limits are ridiculous(which they are because they are all based on when they tried using reverse slots which of course doesn't work in heavy fishing pressure areas...
I’m all for slot limits. Maybe my last post was ambiguous. I was poking fun at the bio that gave the lecture comparing harvesting carrots to fish.

There’s no reason why slot limits wouldn’t work wonders on all the low to moderately pressured lakes in Alberta.
Old 06-18-2018, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewski Canuck View Post

Drewski
The point of a slot is not about individual fish or their maturity, sex, age or length. . It’s about the overall health the lake.
Old 06-19-2018, 11:55 AM

Default WHAT THE ... Mooserivertrapper?

The overall health of the lake is because of the reproduction of the individual walleye in the lake. If they are allowed to breed, and recruit to the population, then the lake is sustainable for recreational and non regulated fishing.

Slot sizes do in fact work, and the tag system is really only useful on small lakes or lakes with very significant fishing pressure. And then when the FN / Metis Nets hit the water where tags are allowed, or on no retention waters, totally pointless anyway.

The tag system bandwagon that AEP has been on for more than a decade is badly applied. Many of the Non retention Lakes around St. Paul, closed for as much as 15 years, is proof of that.

Baptiste Lake was converted to tags based upon a Creel Survey done in the hottest days of August. Guess what, few people caught any walleye, and the Bios said Baptiste had collapsed. Tags went on and that is the way its been.

Later test netting showed that the walleye were in fact stable, and it was a poorly done Creel survey due to the hottest days in August and the short period of time of the survey.

BUT THAT DID NOT MATTER!!! THE AGENDA WAS MAKE IT A TAGS ONLY LAKE!!!

SO if you are the bio who made the decision, you know you set this up to fail to justify your agenda, or you made a bad decision that you now refuse to reverse. No Reason Baptiste should not be on a Slot system.

I hope you are with AEP or forward this thread to them. More lakes should be on a Slot System.

Your "overall health of the lake" explanation is just a "Chicken and Egg" argument that forgets that its the strategy of allowing individual fish to reproduce while balancing the interests of recreational fishermen, that is critical.

Drewski