Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 07-27-2018, 10:48 PM

Another relaxing day at the range, and got to see first hand how a frugal clamp on muzzle brake works.

A fellow from Edmonton has been running 2 rifles for the last 7 years, and they shoot pin holes.

150gr out of his 30/06, and 212gr from his 300 win Mag.

His first shoot of the day was the 16" gong at 600 meters, then he quarter shot all four sections of the gong from there. 12, 3, 6, and 9 oh-clock.

I have never seen this done at the range with a big bore, I guess the non threaded Kahntrol Solutions MB works.

http://www.snipercentral.com/clamp-muzzlebrake-reviews/

They claim it has 40% less recoil, but he said its more like 25 to 30% since he has tried some other MB's in Europe that show much better results.

He didn't have time to do the machine threaded unit when he bought the rifle 7 years ago, so this was one of those throw away ideas when he had time later on,,, funny thing is that it worked right of the get go he said.

It's alot like shooting his 30/06 with no MB with light loads.

His Ought-6 is sporting the same, it tamed it down into the 243 category, he watch each of his bullets hit the target, nill for kick and muzzle blast was pretty tame.

A person can run with or without them at their choosing as it only takes a minute to put them on. No machining, no fuss.

I was not going this route, but after seeing how tame his rifles were on the bench, I'm sold.

He said if the shooter is planning on switching back and forth, make up 2 different impact charts, that way the bullet will be on target with our without the Brake.

He said its almost like cheating in the accuracy game. Ha

Maybe my friend will add some to his 30/30's. "Not."
Old 07-28-2018, 04:18 AM

Part II of shooting day

Another new shooter at the range was doing some load development, we had a chance to chat between the barrle kool down times.

He explained that he was getting better grouping with his factory ammo then his reloads, so we took the time to check things out in that department.
Everything looked with in specs with the reloading skills he's at,

Looking at his scope I noticed that the parallax knob on his scope was just set at infinity for 100 and 200 meter targets,,, I asked him if he understood the concepts of how Parallax works. His reply was, "I use it to focus."

Don't laugh my friends, I thought the same thing for 30 years, but I got schooled fast last year while getting up to speed on attacking the easy small things first,,, and tuning the Parallax for your eye,,, and your eye only is pretty important.

So we discussed what is, and how to set it,,, plus I shared in the idea of getting the cross hairs to move off the Bulls Eye just by moving your eye back and forth on the target with out touching the rifle.

At 300 meters I can manipulate the cross hairs on my scope to move 10" from the bulls eye in any direction when it's not set correct, I refer to it as wondering crosshair test.

So here's a link that helped me get up to speed, and my new friend at the range,,, well things down range are looking much better.

https://www.longrangehunting.com/art...parallax.1175/

So it will take a few times to get it set,,, get a color marker and the best of blue skies.

And a target beyond 200 meters really shows how it's working.

I test the parallax settings at all of my distances shooting to make sure its set,,, after that, I re-checked it every year just incase my eye sight changed.

So in stead of setting to where it's working,,, I go the other route of getting the widest spread I can at 300 meters on my target. A incorrect Parallax adjustment can do this.

Both of my optic Len's can get about 10" of drift from the bulls eye on either side,,, that 20" ish inches in total,,, that's alot my friends.
When we get to see this, we know what needs adjusting.

So I use the link above to get my scope adjusted, then fine tune the cross hairs from there,,, its kind of a work in process,,, but once you get it,,, your cross hairs will be on target no matter where your eye is on the "objective lens."

This is a must for those of us that shoot the tactical reticle lenses since we normally centre the black outter ring around the aiming bar we are using at what ever distance,,, I like to mount my optics forward so the black ring is seen all the time,,, just like archey sights,,, pin in the center, peep hole edges evenly around the pin.

No matter where my eye is while looking threw the objective lens, my cross hairs are true on the bulls eye evey time,,, so long as my Parallax is set for that intended distance.

Just to simple, and its like free accuracy that "could" improve the shooting sport.

Attack the simple easy stuff first, it befits the shooter the most, I always like this saying from my shooting coach friend.

"Not much sence chasing the rotation of the earth when there are many other things you can do to improve accuracy that will show better results sooner with better consistency time and time again,,, once I have that down pat,,, then take the time to chase the the more technical things to tighten up the package after that." The rotation of the earth along with other things fit into that category. Ha

I know most folks already know this.

I only shared the above with newer shooters that choose to get up to speed at their choosing, and yes, the above link is only 1 way of many to lock those cross hairs on to target.

It was interesting learning this last year, the new shooter at the range is grouping much better,,, between the parallax fine-tuning and some dry fires prior to a shot, his water line is much much better.

Even a mid age dog like me sometimes needs to refresh the game plan.

And yes, I'm sharing more information with him in the reloading category, this winter the both of us are on board with the "Reloader II course." time to get a handle on this to.

Last edited by Don_Parsons; 07-28-2018 at 04:40 AM.
Old 08-02-2018, 07:41 AM

Guns & Fun to the Max

Well a long awaited stint is underway this year, after watching the kids and grown-ups at the shooting range,,, I see the value of good times at a frugal budget with the old school rimfire.

I cleaned it up, bolted on a cheap range finding reticle scope for now, and lots boxes of different ammo.

There are 2 brands of 22 ammo that lm not fond off, Winchester bulk pale Wild Cat hollow points, and boxed up Winchester 235 round 36gr plated hollow points.

The old timer came up with a trick to improve them since they seem to not extract after firing.
Dump the box of ammo onto a rag, spray a lite coat of carb cleaner on them and clean them by tumbling around in the rag. Ha.

All the wax comes off, and they seem to shoot pretty straight after that,,, maybe the carb cleaner adds to the ft-per seconds.

2 of my favourite rounds so far are the CCI Stinger 22 LR @ 1640 ft-per seconds with a 32gr copper plated hollow point,,, there great for Gophers in calm to no winds.

The target rounds that work nice out of the old 22 are Winchester Super X T-22 40gr Standard Velocity. Not for varmits since the Gophers seem to get way after impact.

This is one fun frugal cartrage to shoot, and it adds to the big center fire rifle.

I find the wind plays Havoc on the 22 rimfires at 2 to 300 meters much like my 308 F Class at a 1000.

I seen a post of a fellow that compared the 2 cartrages in trajectory drop and wind drift at each of their own specs. They are not twins when it comes right down to it, but they are both affected by the out side elements when if flight.

Yuppers, always thrilling to take up good times from long ago.

Lots of prone, sitting, kneeling, and standing shots going down, it's all about missing the target and paper as I try to close in on hitting a barn. LOL.

Nice thing about missing the target means I get a chance to save it for the next trip out.

Ye Ha, bring on the good times.

Last edited by Don_Parsons; 08-02-2018 at 07:58 AM.
Old 08-02-2018, 08:33 AM

I'm looking forward to my 3rd trip out to the mile at Edson this long weekend. Sigh....just three more days....
Old 08-02-2018, 08:49 AM

Yes, I hear lots about that range up there 6MT, it's a must on the bucket list.

We have a nice unlimited range in the West country, lay down the shooting mat, drop the bypod, and get at it.

We make a day of it, since the bon-fire Smokey dog cook and after noon nap keeps us on target. Ha
Old 08-02-2018, 01:08 PM

Yeah, I get out to a friend's property near Two Hills for 2600+ yard fun times.
Old 08-03-2018, 08:24 PM

It took a bit of searching, but I found the link I'd like to share for those that are looking for frugal ways to share the fun shooting sport with family and friends.

My older brother is game for this at the farm.

Plain old boring farm 22 rimfire rifles with rusty barrels and worn out optics.

A fun thing that our family and friends can join in on.

One only gets to compete against them selves since its all about doing the best we can,,, and it costs nill to get into.

A few extra clips, old 22, and set your pace.

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/...buts-in-march/

It stated in 2008, and is growing every year with different fun shooting platform that offer challanges.

We have the home made 3D archery path along our Creek threw the trees and buck brush, so we'll add a few more features to add this to the mix,,, then at the end of the day we can add in the gopher patch of good times. Ha

Better doing this then sitting at home looking at a boob tube box that offers nothing.
Old 08-03-2018, 10:00 PM

This looks like a fun challange.

https://youtu.be/BqAgA97UK8c

Looks like the welding shop is open tomorrow. Ha
Old 08-04-2018, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_Parsons View Post
Another relaxing day at the range, and got to see first hand how a frugal clamp on muzzle brake works.

A fellow from Edmonton has been running 2 rifles for the last 7 years, and they shoot pin holes.

150gr out of his 30/06, and 212gr from his 300 win Mag.

His first shoot of the day was the 16" gong at 600 meters, then he quarter shot all four sections of the gong from there. 12, 3, 6, and 9 oh-clock.

I have never seen this done at the range with a big bore, I guess the non threaded Kahntrol Solutions MB works.

http://www.snipercentral.com/clamp-muzzlebrake-reviews/

They claim it has 40% less recoil, but he said its more like 25 to 30% since he has tried some other MB's in Europe that show much better results.

He didn't have time to do the machine threaded unit when he bought the rifle 7 years ago, so this was one of those throw away ideas when he had time later on,,, funny thing is that it worked right of the get go he said.

It's alot like shooting his 30/06 with no MB with light loads.

His Ought-6 is sporting the same, it tamed it down into the 243 category, he watch each of his bullets hit the target, nill for kick and muzzle blast was pretty tame.

A person can run with or without them at their choosing as it only takes a minute to put them on. No machining, no fuss.

I was not going this route, but after seeing how tame his rifles were on the bench, I'm sold.

He said if the shooter is planning on switching back and forth, make up 2 different impact charts, that way the bullet will be on target with our without the Brake.

He said its almost like cheating in the accuracy game. Ha

Maybe my friend will add some to his 30/30's. "Not."

I designed a clamp on brake for my 300wm Remy LR. my BIL built it for me as hes a machinist. I'm shooting 208 eld-m at 2850 fps. Recoil is less than my savage 243 shooting 95gr pills at 3000 fps. I designed the brake with ports on top as well as on the sides so it keeps the muzzle down. I can watch bullet impacts at 100yds while shooting prone with bipod. I designed it similar to the Witt brake and am super happy with it. I'm in the process of designing another one for a 308 but am using a design that takes a few less hours to machine
Old 08-05-2018, 12:39 PM

How do you keep an clamp on indexed correctly if you take it off and on all the time?
I would think if you were off just a few degrees the ejected gas wouldn't flow horizontally and would result in the gun jumping, thoughts?
Old 08-05-2018, 01:22 PM

Awesome fore sure, it sounds like a fun project that seems to be working.

The trick to clamp on and off MB is to add a line up hash mark once it's centred, that way it will line-up for the next shoot with it.

I was some impressed when I sat back to actually watch one being used on a big bore.

Same for buddy at the range with his, it might not of been the best of the best MB he's used, but it sure tamed things down.

I've been in contact with JE Customs who has tested alot of MB's, they are now pushing the limits of better than 65% recoil reduction since last year.

Of course this comes with louder sound feed back,,, mostly noticeable at an enclosed shooting range, but fairly tame in the field or thick timbers.

Pros and Cons of barrel stability or muzzle blast, I'm sure I'll find my balance. Ha.

My new Feather weigth will be liking the MB alot.
Old 08-05-2018, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhad View Post
How do you keep an clamp on indexed correctly if you take it off and on all the time?
I would think if you were off just a few degrees the ejected gas wouldn't flow horizontally and would result in the gun jumping, thoughts?
Hash marks work for indexing but I didn't wand to scribe in a line on my barrel. My design is flat on top so I just use a small bubble level and index it to my rail level. Simple and only takes a couple of seconds to do.
Old 08-05-2018, 10:05 PM

I blew up stuff today. Six 1/4 pound and one 1/2 pound Taneritte charges at 304 yards. Also got the hang of my new gen5 Glock with 400 rounds fired.

I even let a very nice 8 or 9 year old boy try out my 6.5x47. He hit the 10" gong at 304 yards on his first try. His Dad and a friend did the same deed. Smiles all around!

And, I got to try a hand cannon 45-70 revolver. Wow!
Old 08-06-2018, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_Parsons View Post
A awesome day spent at our RMH Range. 2 Young friend with 3 rifles, 6.5, with Two 308's. A Dad & his daughter shoot the 22 rimfire, 223, and 308. What a good group of folks.

The one fellow bought a 338 Lapua last year, he really like that gun and cartrage. Accuracy to 1000 meters with lots of critter punch down range. Kinda pricey he said, but well worth its value. His all round favorite at the moment is his 308, Frugal to shoot, easy to set up, and the kids enjoy it to. More so the practical side of things.

Excellent weather, a few challanges battling the ever changing shifting winds, but all of us did pretty good attacking the gongs. I'm running the F rig & my new harvest pipe, another mid weight 30 cal. Fun with Guns to the Max today.
Wow ! 1000m range. Lucky you.
There is no 1000m range around Edmonton
Old 08-06-2018, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor View Post
Wow ! 1000m range. Lucky you.
There is no 1000m range around Edmonton
...well...there's Edson. Yeah, I know....not really "around" Edmonton. But there's CHAS at Genesee that goes out to 800m. And in the next couple of years, it will be out to 1000m.
Old 08-06-2018, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6MT View Post
...well...there's Edson. Yeah, I know....not really "around" Edmonton. But there's CHAS at Genesee that goes out to 800m. And in the next couple of years, it will be out to 1000m.
Two years ago when I was a member CHAS 800 wasn’t approved by CEO.
Is 800m range opened now?
Old 08-07-2018, 08:05 AM

Just sorted out the 22 rimfire Ruck-pack at camp yesterday, always nice to have a few small things on the outtings

Found lots of helpful info for the rimfires on this site.

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/#/

Here is a good Web site to find the ballistics of most 22 ammo on the market, add in the variables gets us onto the paper, then fine tune from there.

http://www.jbmballistics.com/ballist...culators.shtml

I never thought the old 22 could reach out there, it is turning into one fun and frugal plinker

Click on the calculators of ones choosing.
Add the brand of cartrage being used.
Switch the over all spread to 25 yards or meters.
Add in the value of ft-per seconds.
Put in the zero-in yardage.
Change the wind drift.

And other calculations if you like.

I run this at first, then added the actual on paper groups into my ballistic app, Oh Yha.

The Gophers are dropping like flies. Ha.

Lots of Grouse and Rabbits to harvest this fall.
Old 08-07-2018, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor View Post

Two years ago when I was a member CHAS 800 wasn’t approved by CEO.
Is 800m range opened now?

Yes, it is. The club won its court battle with the cfo. That took 26 months! And, they got their .50BMG template back!

And there are big plans in the next two and a half years. Such as extending the long range out to 1000m and building a two storey shooting enclosure.

Cool stuff!

Last edited by 6MT; 08-07-2018 at 03:13 PM.
Old 08-09-2018, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Yes, it is. The club won its court battle with the cfo. That took 26 months! And, they got their .50BMG template back!

And there are big plans in the next two and a half years. Such as extending the long range out to 1000m and building a two storey shooting enclosure.

Cool stuff!
WOW, can't wait to get to this firing line fore sure, my friend and I will definitely come up to check it out. Thanks for the heads up 6-MT.

I had a small accuracy issue with my 22 LR rifle since the quality of the barrel showed signs of garbage Vertical and Horizontal. So it's 10/22 time.

A on-line search shows me that there's a endless supply of aftermarket accessories for them, so a mini PRS build is underway.
Hopefully it will refresh my long past iron silhouette days. My friend is building a range at his place, same for us at our farm. I'm naming ours the Iron Badger. Ha

The kids are pitching in, one has a Spung Bob cut out, oh boy.
I showed up with the big stuffed teddy bear, I seen some tears, so I'll save it for another day.
Even the old farm dog give me the look of disappointment,,, you know the look. LOL.
Old 08-10-2018, 04:41 PM

You'll have fun at CHAS. The only problem this summer has been that the club has really over booked the range with special events. I talked to Steve (the president) and he apologized and said that next summer season, there won't be as many events allowed to use the ranges. It seems every weekend, the range is booked with some event or another.
Old 08-10-2018, 09:08 PM

This post has got me fired up to resume my ELR 22LR quest. I've got a savage mkll heavy barrel with a 6-24x44 with 35 moa rail / ring combo, and a marlin 39A running irons and a tang peep. I shoot both these guns amazingly well to 200 yds. My goal is consistent hits to 500 yds on my 8" gong. sorting ammo by rim thickness and playing with all types of barrel dampening methods is a good fix for my ocd...let the fun times begin
Old 08-10-2018, 10:02 PM

Thanks for the heads up 6MT, it would be next year on a work day when we swing up that way.

And yes OB-1, the 22 rimfire is a blast, my friend, "Old Timer" hadn't been to a target ppractic for 55 years since he's a game hunter.
He's the worst bench shooter I've ever seen, so he got rid of the shooting block and rear bag to show me how its done.

The old hands are pretty steady with his 22 & 308 hunting rifles. Ha. Limited shots were in the bulls-eyes.
4" to 5" grouping off hand with Elbow rest,,, everything planted around the V ring,,, pretty good shooting at his 100 meter mark.

Then he bunkered down on the 200 meter using the post,,, 3 Shot rapped fire into the 8" and 10" pie plate.
Pretty impressed for the old school Hound Dog. LOL.
The old rusty Remington 308 semi auto is running strong.

We started off with the 22 rimfires on paper, switch to bottle caps, then using the empty 7.62x39 cases at 25 meters. We called them "chicken eye-balls. LOL.

Both of us went at it on the 2" and 3" gongs at the 200 mark with the 22's,,, we had the vertical pinned down, but the light breeze hampered the horizontal. All misses by the way. LOL

The simple 22 adds many things to the shooting sports, a chance to expand on shooting form, refresh old skills and learn new ones.
$0.01 to $0.04 per-shot depending on brand of ammo, and easy to launch 100 to 150 rounds of care free rounds.

And most importantly,,, 100% fun factor for young and old alike.

The last word out of Old Timer was,,, "I can't wait to come out to do this again."

A true houner to refresh the dream that my friend over looked in the path of life, Ha,,, lucky thing I remembered this for my self. LOL

Big Grin fore sure.

Last edited by Don_Parsons; 08-10-2018 at 10:10 PM.
Old 08-12-2018, 10:12 AM

I was thinking about posting this on another thread this morning, but it only made sence to share it with those that enjoy getting out there with the irons they have in hand.

"""All the math, science, innovation, and ideas can assist those that choose this path in life, but for many of us,,, well that's a different story. LOL

It's my turn to reflect back on my Pop's passing this year, the good stuff that is. Ha

Good times that matter the most in our own lives, whether it be a 223,,, 30/30 winchester or everything in-between. My Pops favorite guns were his 303 British, a family hand-me down 30/30,,, and a old rusty single shot 22 rimfire with a piece of wood broken off the butt of the stock.

I would'nt be suprized if I bring out the Old Flint Lock from hiding this year. The kids eyes will be as big as saucers. LOL

http://www.outdoorcanada.ca/dads-las...-the-memories/

My Pops was a People person first and foremost, but he also enjoyed his alone time all around our Americas.
As kids growing up he introduced us to the Mountains of BC along with the rest of Canada, and our nabours North and South.

I mounted a picture of him on our wall board this spring, a 9 Year old boy riding his favourite horse Prince on the Bald @$$ prairies of Big Stone Alberta.

Funny that this young boy grew up dirt poor to carve out a living for him self and family.

The above story will be one of those things I'll reflect back on in all of my harvests from here on in.

The good times sitting under the shade of a apple tree in the Okanagan Valley when I was his young age many years ago.

Always good times and memories to share at a camp fire near you.

The wilds surely offer this on every outing.
Old 08-14-2018, 10:28 AM

Between farming, oil patch and the fun stuff, life has been pretty busy, but there is always time to help out our nabours and best friends.

Old Timer {OT} and I did some target acquisition last week, kind of expensive doing the factory ammo thing since he's all about quality grade.

So I made him up a free batch of ammo that he can practic with, or go after the furry critters, nothing like rattling the cage with in the rapper. Ha.

He will like them alot, nothing hot since he's the follow up shot guy,,, bang,,,,, bang, bang, bang. Ha.

I finally spent some funds on a few extra gadgets for the reloading room,,, the 14 year stint into archery thinned out the supplies,,, so it's speed things up at the reloading bench time.

A RCBS Charge Master along with a automatic press are underway,,, not as fast as Dillon Ammo set-up,,, but not far off the mark.
If the brass is prepped, it takes nothing to run a batch of ammo. The kids are helping out with some innovative ideas as the assembly line incorporates each step with in its zone.

So relaxing now, lots of time to plink with the full bore and 22 rimfire.
Lawn chair time at the camp fire is just to fun. Ha
Old 08-24-2018, 09:47 AM

I was searching the normal stuff on the Web when I came across this short note on the rifle and cartrage that fits the shooters needs.

{ One should not carry a rifle that works well when everything goes right, but, rather one that will carry the day when everything goes wrong. } Ha

I'm sure there is a Gray area attached to the old saying.

I suppose a hunter could be packing the perfect rifle & caliber that does just fine for hunting, target shooting, general plinking, but "when" or "if" things don't go as planned on a take-down,,, the hunt then becomes Intresting.

All the known factors could fall into place, the unknown stuff sometimes show up when we least expect it.

Good luck to all going into the 2018 game season of good times.

Like one of our brothers said at the begining of the thread.

Hunting season can't come soon enough. Ha

Steady hands with solid cross hairs just might do the trick.
Old 09-19-2018, 07:00 AM

I finally got a chance to run the new 30 cal to the 1 km mark,,, the garbage wet noodle stock and crappy trigger made it challanging.

8 hits with in the 12" V ring, and 2 fly'ers at 16",,, I'm sure they were the warm up shots. Ha,,, I'll blame it on the 2 ton trigger pull.

A Frugal Remmy SPS, 24" barrel, hand loads using Lapua brass the with 42.6gr Varget behind the Hornady 178gr ELD-X. The rifle deffinatly needs a work over this sprig coming up.

My shooting friend wants a new rifle, so I'll build 4 rifles in total,,, Carlos Hathcock M40a1 Marks Man,,, a M40a3,,, and the M40a5 for my self,,, I'm just waiting to find out which one of the 3 my friend wants for him self.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M40_rifle

Yes the last 2 units are heavy, but they offer good consistency, the Carlos Hathcock build I'll use for general plinking, hunting, and the farm tractor packer. Ha Nothing like shooting the 9 lb'er where ever my boots take me.

My other pal and I spent a few days chatting about taking on the 2 mile challange, but after lots of debates we decided that this would not be practical in our shooting sports,,, not that that it dosen't interest us,,, we don't see that part of the hobby lasting since we're more in line with general plinking, camping and good times along the Eastern Slopes.

At least I'm getting the 1 cartrage thing sorted, might take 3 rifles in the collection to get there. Funny how things work out in the quest of good times.

Today we're doing the 1500 meter shoot, I'm suprized I at least mounted the scope level with out it being canted to one side or the other. LOL.

Very challanging working with the factory stuff these rifles come with, good thing that all of us have the options of some of North America's best Gun Smiths in our Province, mine lives a few miles West of me,,, that's a real bonus. Ha
Old 09-19-2018, 08:17 AM

Thumbs up Right on!

Quote:

Cool stuff!
Nice to know thanks 6MT. Glad to hear they have big plans on the build!
Old 09-22-2018, 08:43 AM

Thanks Uncle Don! Good info on parallax right there. Totally explains the trouble we were having last week.