Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 10-16-2019, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Blake View Post
I would imagine he has moved out of the northern bc area he manages for the non resident aliens to the more Southern area he manages for the non resident aliens. Yes probably still "hunting".
Sorry for the delay, I was just finishing some odd jobs for “My Masters” !!! lol

But in all honesty can you break it to my wife for me, and let her know we don’t actually own our lodge and outfit ? Also if you have a name and contact number for the non resident aliens I’m supposed to be working for I’d appreciate that too, I’m guessing they’ll be expecting some money at some point ! lmfao
Old 10-16-2019, 12:31 PM

Anyway. Onward and upward !

Before I’m accused of baiting moose again or working for some evil non resident Outfitter syndicate I’ll exit stage left.

Good luck this season folks, almost half over now. North country’s a wrap for another year, now it’s time to take the boy out hunting.

God Bless
Old 10-16-2019, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torkdiesel View Post
I’m sorry if you misunderstood what I meant. Phil broke the law, and was convicted for that. He’ll pay his fine, deal with the consequences personally, and miss out on a couple years of hunting.
Some of his actions warranted the charges, some of them did not in my opinion.

I certainly have never condoned any type of poaching or breaking the law, but I’m also a realist.

yes. you would never condone it.

you just have a different "opinion" on whether its legal or not, even if it is a law.

With your logic, if YOU think its not illegal(with your opinion), you can disagree with the law and not be condoning poachers.

interesting thought pattern,,,,
Old 10-16-2019, 01:00 PM

Quote:
So 4 charges in the end, not nearly as dramatic as the lynch mob was hoping for I’m guessing.

I’m sure Phil is happy to see this chapter of his live over, and some of the decisions he made that came back to haunt him will surely not be repeated.

There is always two sides to every story, this one is no different.

I will add the speculation and jealousy from some of the members here is nothing short of astonishing.
This is what he got CAUGHT doing. Wonder how long its been going on? One would have imagine for quite awhile but that is just speculation right?
Old 10-16-2019, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucksman View Post
This is what he got CAUGHT doing. Wonder how long its been going on? One would have imagine for quite awhile but that is just speculation right?
I’m not sure. There’s really no benefit to leaving ducks on the pond, the Outfitter would not get paid more for doing this. Which does make me wonder if there is more to the story ? I’m not sure why the hunters paying to hunt would be ok with it either ? Maybe they were going to get a boat, or a dog as was suggested, maybe they weren’t?
Generally Outfitters that do cross the law, do it for money. Not sure what the benefit of this would have been.
The wildlife violations ? Well he broke the law, so in the end it was wrong and he’s being punished.
Old 10-16-2019, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Black View Post
yes. you would never condone it.

you just have a different "opinion" on whether its legal or not, even if it is a law.

With your logic, if YOU think its not illegal(with your opinion), you can disagree with the law and not be condoning poachers.

interesting thought pattern,,,,
Yes, speeding is illegal, yet it happens everyday. I don’t like you any less because you got a ticket for doing 35 over the posted speed limit.

And if you were convicted of letting your kid shoot a gopher out of the truck, I would feel the same way.

So yes, in my opinion some things are far more severe then others
Old 10-16-2019, 02:03 PM

Disgusting, I think of all those birds just sitting there left to rot and it makes my blood boil. There is no hearsay or other side to the story, convictions have been handed down.

Should have been a lifetime ban from outfitting but iirc by past posts the guy has kids, so not a life time ban on personal hunting. Maybe 10 years would be long enough to smarten him up and he'd still be able to be involved in showing his kids the RIGHT way in the future, 2 years is nothing.
Old 10-16-2019, 03:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by OL_JR View Post
Should have been a lifetime ban from outfitting but iirc by past posts the guy has kids, so not a life time ban on personal hunting. Maybe 10 years would be long enough to smarten him up and he'd still be able to be involved in showing his kids the RIGHT way in the future, 2 years is nothing.
if their father taught them how to hunt i wouldn't be upset knowing that their father wouldn't be able to ever hunt with them
Old 10-16-2019, 03:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
You’re right, I accidentally left out the unknown number of charges per duck, I apologize.

I will however disagree with the two sides to every story. To me there’s a giant difference between shooting a deer out of your truck window on the side of the highway, and letting your 9 year old use the door as a rest at the farm to shoot her first gopher. But that’s only my opinion of course.
So you're saying all the charges were overblown because all he did was let his 9 year old use the truck door as a rest??
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Old 10-16-2019, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OL_JR View Post
Disgusting, I think of all those birds just sitting there left to rot and it makes my blood boil. There is no hearsay or other side to the story, convictions have been handed down.

2 years is an absolute joke
Old 10-16-2019, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtodrick View Post
So you're saying all the charges were overblown because all he did was let his 9 year old use the truck door as a rest??
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA
No. I’m saying that when passing judgement on somebody I like to utilize some actual common sense before I suggest they have their lives ruined.
Old 10-16-2019, 03:36 PM
Banned

I’m not taking sides
But word from his co workers is that he was going back to get his Jon boat to retrieve them. Might change perspective a little. Who knows if it’s true or not?
Old 10-16-2019, 03:42 PM

Quote:
No. I’m saying that when passing judgement on somebody I like to utilize some actual common sense before I suggest they have their lives ruined.
I'm the same as you Tork, passing judgement before the case is reviewed is an uneducated opinion at best. Now that the case has been before the courts, Phil will have to live with his decisions...

Personally, like many others, I feel the sentence is light on loss of hunting privileges.. When I read that Phil went out on a ram hunt this season, any respect that was left for his accomplishments fell to zero.... His choices are obviously self centered in my opinion.
Old 10-16-2019, 03:51 PM

A bit of a stretch to make this comparison but here it is right out of the good book.

“When they kept on questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, “Let any one of you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her.”
John 8,(7).

A lot of holier then thou members talking like they’ve never done anything wrong and never made any dumb mistakes.

Just sayin
Old 10-16-2019, 03:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly Bill View Post
A bit of a stretch to make this comparison but here it is right out of the good book.

“When they kept on questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, “Let any one of you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her.”
John 8,(7).

A lot of holier then thou members talking like they’ve never done anything wrong and never made any dumb mistakes.

Just sayin
the courts have set the judgment we now get to debate it. It seems we have found Phil's supporters coming out to defend it.
Old 10-16-2019, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3illy View Post
the courts have set the judgment we now get to debate it. It seems we have found Phil's supporters coming out to defend it.
Not being a “basher” doesn’t make you a “supporter”
Old 10-16-2019, 04:04 PM

Quote:

John 8,(7).

Just sayin
The charges were a little more than a "dumb mistake"

Past behavior is indicative of future behavior.
Old 10-16-2019, 04:05 PM

Quote:

Just sayin
A simple mistake is much, much different than a pattern of disregard for the rules.

Not that anyone with any common morality should need that pointed out to them.
Old 10-16-2019, 04:07 PM

I think the fine was not big enough plus the hunting time of 2 years was not enough.

In my life I grew up in logging camps and many were guys who had done hard time,about 40 percent,at first I was very uneasy and then as I grew older I seen the good side of many who never did another crime and lived very proud lives and gave plenty back to society.So to tar and feather someone for life is none of my business what so ever and only he can change his life.

Seeing that this site is full of angels and non criminals i know for some who are perfect it's just great being polished inside and out.

As for Phil he will either change for the better and if not back in court.

I don't know Phil or ever pm him or ever talked to him and what he did he will have to live with along with his family. I hope his children don't get hassled to much because they are innocent and don't deserve one bit of this crap.

In no way am I saying what he did was right and the courts have shown he is guilty of some crimes and you do the crime you pay the fine and sleep in your own mess.

AS far as being a poster boy made me chuckle because I never thought this at all, as far as Phil goes with me his life is his mess and up to him to clean it up.

JD
Old 10-16-2019, 04:11 PM

some guys here are chalking this up to a mistake so ill just leave this here to refresh some memories. of course we know he wasn't convicted of all of these but this is not a "mistake"

A popular Sherwood Park outfitter and his company face a total of 45 charges relating to wildlife and firearms infractions.

Philip Cahoon faces 34 charges for alleged offences committed between April 4, 2018, and Oct. 12, 2018.

Cahoon was charged with numerous offences under the Alberta Wildlife Act, including hunting out of season, hunting without a licence, improper possession of wildlife, baiting game birds, discarding the flesh of game birds, exceeding the possession limit for game birds, discharging a firearm from a vehicle, and discharging a firearm on a public road. He also faces several charges under the act related to buying, selling and exporting wildlife.

Cahoon was also charged under the Criminal Code with causing an animal unnecessary pain, suffering or injury.

His company, Mud Lake Waterfowl Adventures Inc., faces 11 charges, including hunting out of season, illegally selling wildlife, baiting game birds, discarding the flesh of game birds, exceeding the possession limit for game birds, and guiding on private land without permission from the landowner
Old 10-16-2019, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_mark View Post
I’m not taking sides
But word from his co workers is that he was going back to get his Jon boat to retrieve them. Might change perspective a little. Who knows if it’s true or not?
"Cahoon was convicted of four offences under the Alberta Wildlife Act including discharging a firearm from a vehicle, and exporting wildlife without a permit"

decided to take some shots out the window while he went back for the jon boat?
Old 10-16-2019, 04:18 PM
Banned

It’s a small wonder why Alberta sportsmen have great disdain towards Alberta outfitters.
Old 10-16-2019, 04:19 PM

You guys understand plea deals don’t you? Just because charges were dropped doesn’t mean those things did not happen.

LC
Old 10-16-2019, 04:24 PM

Likely what happened is Outlaw Phil took his hunters to a roost slough so the yanks could melt their barrels when the mallards started piling in 5 minutes before the end of shooting time; and when the smoke cleared, and pitch blackness set in, there was no way to retrieve the dozens of dead and crippled birds that they shot. This is a complete lack of foresight that is supposed to be the responsibility of the paid and permitted “outfitter” to avoid. I am guessing he did this often, up to the point at which he got caught, that is. Paid hunting is the same as prostitution IMHO, I don’t indulge in either, am disgusted by it, but more so than anything I feel pity for those involved in it. What ****es me of the most of all of this, is that these waterfowl pimps have access to literally the largest pile of un pressured and uneducated gamebirds in this hemisphere, and nevertheless do such a **** poor job at it. Blaming the farmer for screwing up your hunt, or resorting to illegal monkey business... no excuse for this whatsoever. The shame is on those that deserve it.
Old 10-16-2019, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABDUKNUT View Post
Likely what happened is Outlaw Phil took his hunters to a roost slough so the yanks could melt their barrels when the mallards started piling in 5 minutes before the end of shooting time; and when the smoke cleared, and pitch blackness set in, there was no way to retrieve the dozens of dead and crippled birds that they shot. This is a complete lack of foresight that is supposed to be the responsibility of the paid and permitted “outfitter” to avoid. I am guessing he did this often, up to the point at which he got caught, that is. Paid hunting is the same as prostitution IMHO, I don’t indulge in either, am disgusted by it, but more so than anything I feel pity for those involved in it. What ****es me of the most of all of this, is that these waterfowl pimps have access to literally the largest pile of un pressured and uneducated gamebirds in this hemisphere, and nevertheless do such a **** poor job at it. Blaming the farmer for screwing up your hunt, or resorting to illegal monkey business... no excuse for this whatsoever. The shame is on those that deserve it.
Or.....

After a flurry of mid day shooting where they knocked down their limit the Labrador Retriever they had sitting on the shore poked a stick through his leg and one guide left to bring him to the vet. The Outfitter headed for his boat to collect the birds but F&W were waiting for him when he got back and said he abandoned the birds ???

Either is just a plausible, but instead let’s just get a rope ?
Old 10-16-2019, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Or.....

After a flurry of mid day shooting where they knocked down their limit the Labrador Retriever they had sitting on the shore poked a stick through his leg and one guide left to bring him to the vet. The Outfitter headed for his boat to collect the birds but F&W were waiting for him when he got back and said he abandoned the birds ???

If that was the case, I doubt he would have pleaded guilty.

Thomas Sowell
Old 10-16-2019, 05:16 PM

I’m sure most crimes are just accidental let’s go with that. This whole convicting criminals thing is just harsh?
Old 10-16-2019, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Or.....

if that was the case wouldn't a quick call to the vet fix that up, and if he was coming back with the Jon boat that would have put everything to rest.
Of course, that would not resolve all the other things.....
Cat
Old 10-16-2019, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucksman View Post
some guys here are chalking this up to a mistake so ill just leave this here to refresh some memories. of course we know he wasn't convicted of all of these but this is not a "mistake"

A popular Sherwood Park outfitter and his company face a total of 45 charges relating to wildlife and firearms infractions.

Philip Cahoon faces 34 charges for alleged offences committed between April 4, 2018, and Oct. 12, 2018.

Cahoon was charged with numerous offences under the Alberta Wildlife Act, including hunting out of season, hunting without a licence, improper possession of wildlife, baiting game birds, discarding the flesh of game birds, exceeding the possession limit for game birds, discharging a firearm from a vehicle, and discharging a firearm on a public road. He also faces several charges under the act related to buying, selling and exporting wildlife.

Cahoon was also charged under the Criminal Code with causing an animal unnecessary pain, suffering or injury.

His company, Mud Lake Waterfowl Adventures Inc., faces 11 charges, including hunting out of season, illegally selling wildlife, baiting game birds, discarding the flesh of game birds, exceeding the possession limit for game birds, and guiding on private land without permission from the landowner
There’s a few mistakes there hey Torq? Cmon.....
Old 10-16-2019, 06:04 PM

Default Philip cahoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justfishin73 View Post
2 years is an absolute joke
You’re right! 2 years is a slap in the face to all the honest sportsman out there. Should be 2 years per conviction.
Closed Thread