Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 10-15-2019, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseRiverTrapper View Post
Was present at the courthouse 7 times. Lol Jimmy.
Been getting postponed since the Start of May, what's so funny about that?
Old 10-15-2019, 04:30 PM

I'm wondering all in what this would have cost him lawyer fees, loss of equipment, and how much he would have sold his operation for. I'm guessing still came out ahead enough to go to Kazakhstan a few more times

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 10-15-2019, 04:36 PM

So little regard for wildlife. Cannot imagine not making an effort to retrieve downed game. Makes you wonder about every animal he's taken.

Thomas Sowell
Old 10-15-2019, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseRiverTrapper View Post
Was present at the courthouse 7 times. Lol Jimmy.
Well that's about how many times he had it delayed. Did you read the CBC article????
Old 10-15-2019, 05:18 PM

Im still stunned by these charges. Nube always posted lots of sheep pics , deer Pics and waterfowl hunt pics. Meanwhile Poaching to his hearts content. I don't understand how this didn't weigh on his conscience ? I was taught you eat what you shoot and have passed this on to my Boys and Grandkids.

In my opinion he should never carry either a guiding or hunting licence again ever !! Profiting from poaching is wrong in so many ways.

Nothing is to stop him from still hopping in a friends truck and participating on the hunts or using his permission he must have held in so many areas to help others out since he has no paperwork showing his licence.

If your reading this Phil , You sure let a lot of us down.
Old 10-15-2019, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springer View Post
Im still stunned by these charges. Nube always posted lots of sheep pics , deer Pics and waterfowl hunt pics. Meanwhile Poaching to his hearts content. I don't understand how this didn't weigh on his conscience ? I was taught you eat what you shoot and have passed this on to my Boys and Grandkids.

In my opinion he should never carry either a guiding or hunting licence again ever !! Profiting from poaching is wrong in so many ways.

Nothing is to stop him from still hopping in a friends truck and participating on the hunts or using his permission he must have held in so many areas to help others out since he has no paperwork showing his licence.

If your reading this Phil , You sure let a lot of us down.
No he is not allowed to participate in ANY hunting activities in the Province of Alberta. Other jurisdictions have an agreement with Alberta. He is not allowed to be in the company of ANYONE that is in the act of hunting. If caught it's back to Court.

Saskatchewan does but BC apparently does not so maybe he'll be guiding for Torkdiesel.
Old 10-15-2019, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteTailAB View Post
Only a 2 year ban on hunting? Stupid. Should be longer.
A lifetime ban would be appropriate...

He knew what he was doing all along and would have kept doing it if he didn't get caught. This to me proves he knows right from wrong, he knows the laws and has complete disregard for both. So once he gets the right to hunt back, he will be right back at it.

I think it should be noted that Phil also has a trap line. Trapping falls under hunting. So he isn't allowed to trap either. Its a shame if he's ever allowed to trap again. His line should be seized.
Old 10-15-2019, 06:13 PM

Kind of makes you wonder how many of those rams of Phil’s were taken legally or his huge whitetail.
Old 10-15-2019, 06:19 PM

It’s too bad he put so much pressure on himself to succeed. I enjoyed seeing his pics and reading about his hunts. I think it was something like 40 wolves he removed from 353 last year. How could he have possibly thought it was ok to leave that many dead birds behind? I hope that when he’s hunting again in two years that he plays by the rules.
Old 10-15-2019, 06:39 PM

Wish all poachers both guide and hunters a like were punished harder when nailed with multiple offences like this
Old 10-15-2019, 06:52 PM

Interesting that the great defender of all things APOS hasn't had a comment.
Old 10-15-2019, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
Given the time of year, he's probably out on a hunt.

Thomas Sowell
Old 10-15-2019, 07:05 PM
Banned

Where is Gear Guy?
Old 10-15-2019, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
Maybe he’s busy “helping out” as a cook at some goose club

Last edited by ABDUKNUT; 10-15-2019 at 07:15 PM.
Old 10-15-2019, 07:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
Well phil shot a ram this year. He made sure his court dates were postpone so he could sheep hunt.
Old 10-15-2019, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokinyotes View Post
Kind of makes you wonder how many of those rams of Phil’s were taken legally or his huge whitetail.
Hahaha.......my thoughts exactly!!!
Old 10-15-2019, 07:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
Ain’t that the truth!

You can be a Hunter or a poacher, if you’re willing to poach for strangers imagine what you’re willing to do for yourself!
Old 10-15-2019, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RZR View Post
Well phil shot a ram this year. He made sure his court dates were postpone so he could sheep hunt.
What a POS. I’m sure F&W really loved measuring his ram!!
Old 10-15-2019, 08:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RZR View Post
Had a feeling that was what he was up to.
Old 10-15-2019, 08:41 PM

Quote:

Exactly what my thoughts are...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-15-2019, 08:42 PM

Quote:
I would imagine he has moved out of the northern bc area he manages for the non resident aliens to the more Southern area he manages for the non resident aliens. Yes probably still "hunting".
Old 10-16-2019, 12:04 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Blake View Post
No problem. These types of investigations burn up a lot of money and time. Hats off to the Special Investigation Branch of Fish and Wildlife and the District Officer for seeing this through.

Jim
But how do these investigations benefit wildlife populations ? Many species of wildlife are considered to be in "out-of-control" population numbers. I know many farmers who face thousands of dollars of crop damage from waterfowl. They do not consider waterfowl a game animal. They consider them a pest, a varmint, and believe they should be manage as a varmint. I have hunted elk and have farmers tell me to shoot into the herd because dead and wounded animals will attract predators and this will disperse the elk. I have farmer friends that can not swath their canola or other crops because the thousands of geese that fly through their area will destroy swathed grain far more than standing crop.
I have met many farmers that prefer outfitter hunters because they are more successful at reducing wildlife damage. Farmers can work with outfitters to strategically move game from land not harvested to harvested areas.
If Alberta Fish and Wildlife can "maim-to death' wildlife from a helicopter, how can anyone not view some types of wildlife as varmint ?
A varmint is a troublesome wild animal. Mice, gophers, moles, rabbits, make the list, but to many landowners are less troublesome than deer, elk and waterfowl.
Old 10-16-2019, 05:52 AM

So it’s ok to shoot 64 ducks and only pick up 8 ?
Old 10-16-2019, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gifted Intuitive View Post
But how do these investigations benefit wildlife populations ? Many species of wildlife are considered to be in "out-of-control" population numbers. I know many farmers who face thousands of dollars of crop damage from waterfowl. They do not consider waterfowl a game animal. They consider them a pest, a varmint, and believe they should be manage as a varmint. I have hunted elk and have farmers tell me to shoot into the herd because dead and wounded animals will attract predators and this will disperse the elk. I have farmer friends that can not swath their canola or other crops because the thousands of geese that fly through their area will destroy swathed grain far more than standing crop.
I have met many farmers that prefer outfitter hunters because they are more successful at reducing wildlife damage. Farmers can work with outfitters to strategically move game from land not harvested to harvested areas.
If Alberta Fish and Wildlife can "maim-to death' wildlife from a helicopter, how can anyone not view some types of wildlife as varmint ?
A varmint is a troublesome wild animal. Mice, gophers, moles, rabbits, make the list, but to many landowners are less troublesome than deer, elk and waterfowl.
I really don’t see your point. Snow geese are the only waterfowl species that are scientifically proven to be overpopulated the rest are holding steady to 4% increase except for the widgeon which is a success story, the pin tails are actually declining rapidly to the point where a lower daily limit has been imposed in many states. In my area the locals are more then enough to cover the little bit of crop damage that occurs and many farmers prefer the pay out from wildlife crop damage on a wet year anyway.
Old 10-16-2019, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gifted Intuitive View Post

Wow the farmers you know pretty much suck...
Old 10-16-2019, 07:02 AM

Farmers not swathing canola because they're worried about geese in the crop? Hmm.

Craig

Sent from my SM-A505W using Tapatalk
Old 10-16-2019, 07:49 AM

[QUOTE=ceedub;4040589]Farmers not swathing canola because they're worried about geese in the crop? Hmm.

Harvest is weather dependent, not geese in the area dependent.

When the crops are ready to be swathed it's "go time."
Old 10-16-2019, 07:53 AM

Nice to see the moderators are allowing opinions to be expressed.

Also nice to see the lack of support for him(Phil), even by his outfitting brethren.

Feel bad for his family that is now dealing with this due to his greed.
Old 10-16-2019, 07:59 AM

Quote:
So little regard for wildlife. Cannot imagine not making an effort to retrieve downed game. Makes you wonder about every animal he's taken.
He sure put on a good face here.

Grizz
Old 10-16-2019, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
He sure put on a good face here.

Grizz
I always thought he might be on the other side of the law or rules when he started defending Pat Garrett on here. Birds of a feather..

Last edited by 1899b; 10-16-2019 at 08:11 AM.
Closed Thread