Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-15-2019, 09:16 AM

Default Youth hunter first big game... add your stories

Any stories to add?

Here’s mine.

Sunday morning I pick up my young cousin
His mom had him up and ready, meals packed and coffee ready for me! Gonna be a good day already.

He’s a lefty and I bought him a 243 left hand from a member on here. He had practiced and was ready for his first deer

We left and headed out. We pulled into our first area right at legal light so we unlocked the guns and discussed then plan.

Mid sentence , he stops me, says”2 deer!”

He’s right. 2 deer 160 yards out. We do a little concealed stalk on them until we reach the small spruce and now we are 75 yards.

The deer notice us and get a little nervous. He picks out one and settles in. I tell him to concentrate on the vitals and squeeze the shot.
He fires and I see impact. Lungs, deer staggers and runs towards us as deer #2 runs away. I tell him to reload and shoot again. He does and the deer drops.

A 5 min hunt. I assured him it won’t always be that easy. We laugh and get to work field dressing.

We are back at his house and hanging deer up 1 hour after we left home. His mom was super proud
Old 10-15-2019, 09:37 AM

Great , grad things work out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-15-2019, 12:00 PM

Great story Flight, he must have been stoked! Sounds similar to my cousin's son's first moose hunt a few years back. We just set up camp and decided to go for a quick quad ride to check out the area before dark. He had a 42" bull on the ground within an hour.......
Old 10-15-2019, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flight01 View Post
Any stories to add?

Here’s mine.

Sunday morning I pick up my young cousin
His mom had him up and ready, meals packed and coffee ready for me! Gonna be a good day already.

He’s a lefty and I bought him a 243 left hand from a member on here. He had practiced and was ready for his first deer

We left and headed out. We pulled into our first area right at legal light so we unlocked the guns and discussed then plan.

Mid sentence , he stops me, says”2 deer!”

He’s right. 2 deer 160 yards out. We do a little concealed stalk on them until we reach the small spruce and now we are 75 yards.

The deer notice us and get a little nervous. He picks out one and settles in. I tell him to concentrate on the vitals and squeeze the shot.
He fires and I see impact. Lungs, deer staggers and runs towards us as deer #2 runs away. I tell him to reload and shoot again. He does and the deer drops.

A 5 min hunt. I assured him it won’t always be that easy. We laugh and get to work field dressing.

We are back at his house and hanging deer up 1 hour after we left home. His mom was super proud

That’s awesome . My last home in McMurray was in Abasand. There were mornings it took all of 45 min. I miss that sometimes. Way to share the outdoors with your young cousin. Awesome..
Old 10-15-2019, 07:26 PM

He was very happy. Rounded out the day with a couple chickens each. Great day in the country, making sure the kids get to experience the wild and partake in a tradition that I hope never goes away.
Old 10-22-2019, 08:11 PM

Default My first white tail buck

Kk so not a youth hunt but I’m new to hunting, this is my second year... so here is it.

Saturday October 19th, a friend and I are on day two of our two day hunt for whitetail and grouse. Saw a couple deer early the first day, no grouse so it’s safe to say the first day was kind of a bust. So we got up early Saturday in hopes that we would be alittle luckier. Well that wasn’t the case, did not see a thing all morning so we head back to camp around 130 to pack up and make a game plan. After we were all packed up, finished lunch we decided to check out a couple more places on our way out and if we didn’t see anything we would say our good byes. Well 300m down the road from camp we spot a grouse, pass it up and keep going with our spirits lifted alittle. Well I kid you not, a kilometre down the road we come to a field where there stands 2 white tail bucks, one for each of us, by the time we get into shooting position, there gone. Dam!! We discussed and decided to stick it out for a bit and see if they come back. Well an hour or two pass and nothing so by this point my partner is beginning to feel under the weather( he was fighting off a cold all trip) so he heads back into town but I just have this gut feeling these two bucks are down this cut line on the back side of this field we saw them earlier. So we say our good byes and part ways, I start my trek into the Bush to pop up along this cut line. I emerge from the Bush and look up and down this cut for about 30 mins glassing what seems every inch, nothing. There’s this fresh section of clear cut woods to my right, so I say “**** why not, I will take a look”. Low and behold there’s those two bucks we saw earlier just eating away, have no idea I’m there. One is facing away from me and the other is broad side but with a bunch of trees and dead fall in front of it. At this point I have about an hour of legal shooting light so I wait, and I wait. Finally the broad side facing buck steps out, bam! Lung shot, if not very close. He hops up and just stands there, so I pump him again, hitting him in the gut. Noooo!!! Then he books it into the tick brush. I walk to where he was when I shot him, no blood so I start to slowly walk to we’re he would have went into the Bush. Finally find a blood trail m, started small but soon enough there he was, my first white tail buck. (I’m 29 and just started hunting last year). So I let out a WOOOO, pretty sure someone could hear me the next zone over lol. I was pumped, but then came to the realization, this is just the beginning, I have about 45 mins of light, I’m 1.5km in the brush away from my truck and I have only gutting a big game animal once and that was with my friend that has been hunting all his life. So I quickly take a pic or two and get to work. Once I gutted it it was way to heavy for me to carry in one piece. So I cut it in half and haul out the front half to a point where I feel like predators would find it.... then the back half. So I carried the back half to the truck in the pitch black, if there was a bear or lion beside me or close to me I wouldn’t even know. Get to the truck load him up as it starts to snow, get the shotgun and load up some slugs just in case. Get my head lamp and luckily as I head back the snow stops. Walk to where I think the front half is and start searching, I find it, thank god and start the hike back with this 3x3, almost 4x4 on my back. By the time I get back to my truck it has been close to 3 hours since the shot, I’m absolutely cover in blood and just smell like death. I did it, got my first buck, and out of all that I wouldn’t have changed a single thing. I was sceptical, I wasn’t sure if hunting was for me but this experience sold it for me. Since then I haven’t stop thinking about every moment and can’t stop thinking of when I’m going next. I will never forget those 3 to 4 hours and will have a story of a life time. Thanks for reading, happy hunting

Last edited by Ckpearson; 10-22-2019 at 08:17 PM.
Old 10-22-2019, 09:49 PM

Bravo! Stellar first post!
Old 10-22-2019, 10:05 PM

CK that is an awesome story you posted! Really special first deer for you. Well done!
Old 10-22-2019, 10:47 PM

Last year was my son’s first ever big game hunt. He turned 12 in late Oct. I had to work and was out of town first 3 days of the season. So needless to say the first Saturday of a day with my son I have dreamed about for a long time was here. Only one problem. It was my sons first hockey game of the year. I just assumed we were skipping that and going hunting!! Well after a discussion with my wife she said “you have to let him choose”. Ya she was kind of right lol. Low and behold he doesn’t want to let his team down so Saturday morning off to hockey we go. Game went fine. I’m thinking hurry up let’s go. Well the team after his game was short players. Now we playing 2 games. Uuugghhh. Finally done with hockey and not a lot of time but I don’t care we going hunting. He was excited by the way. It’s an hour plus drive to our spot. Finally get into blind about 3:15. The chair in the blind was too short so when he was sitting down he couldn’t see out the window. No problem u can sit on my knee. Well an hour in and the first group of deer is 2 does a spiker and a 5x5 beauty of a whitetail. He would have shot anything with horns. I have spent many hours out there and it never works like that. The 5x5 steps into shooting lane and he is ready. No no no the spiker is directly behind him can’t shoot. Wait wait. Then the doe steps in front of the 5x5. No no don’t shoot. I know dad! Finally the buck is standing broadside at 147 yards, my son is on my knee and I’m looking down the barrel and bang! Buck drops in his tracks and he has his first deer. He was so excited as was I. Buck grossed 150 5/8 and Net 143 6/8 and he won the trophy at our local club. It was a day I will never forget. He said see I knew I could do both hockey and get a deer.