Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-14-2018, 03:11 PM

Default towing

Anyone here have any experience towing a car on a dolly? I am leaving Nova Scotia for cold lake June 27th....I have an 08 tuscon i use for a fishing rig. I am driving a Yukon, full size, and wonder the extra cost vs selling and picking up a beater in AB. Perhaps one of you folks have some knowledge.

ty

Joe
Old 06-14-2018, 05:22 PM

Never pulled one but I can definitely recommend you lock the vehicles steering wheel and for the hell of it thread the seatbelt through the steering wheel a few times and latch it tight. I met a guy on the highway pulling a station wagon with one and it decided to get into a zig-zag pattern that looked like it was doing a downhill slalom run on three wheels. The guy was on the brakes pretty hard, probably to change his shorts.
Old 06-14-2018, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Half Pickereled View Post
Never pulled one but I can definitely recommend you lock the vehicles steering wheel and for the hell of it thread the seatbelt through the steering wheel a few times and latch it tight. I met a guy on the highway pulling a station wagon with one and it decided to get into a zig-zag pattern that looked like it was doing a downhill slalom run on three wheels. The guy was on the brakes pretty hard, probably to change his shorts.
You definitely have not towed a car on a dolly, let the steering wheel float or you will be in big trouble, Having towed for 15 yrs I do have a bit of experience. and I also have a floating turn table on my dolly. Good luck.
Old 06-14-2018, 09:19 PM

Fair enough, like I stated, I’ve never used a dolly. But can you explain to me how you let the wheel float? I was under the impression that most of the time if the lock mechanism is working the wheels are locked? And yes of course the table would have to do the pivoting in my above statement.
Old 06-14-2018, 09:31 PM

Looky that, you’ve been doing it wrong for 15 years? And here I am just doing the mechanics in my head all wet behind the ears?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mi0V72242L0

And another video word for word saying the same thing ?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=r4ft-YxgKf8