Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-16-2018, 05:52 AM
Banned

Default Taking my boy fishing

I think on Monday if the weather is fair I’m going to take my boy out fishing for the first time. He is five years old and I would really like him to have a lot of fun and enjoy it as much as I do or once did. I think I’ll take him to the red deer river for gold eye and maybe Tuesday out to the bush for brooks if he has fun Monday. I’m looking for some suggestions to make it more enjoyable for him

I’ve been looking forward to this since he was born. He’s finally at that age where he can start sharing my passions. I keep telling my wife, just wait it won’t be long and he will be daddy’s boy and you can relax for once lol I try my best but playing with toys isn’t really my best attribute lol.
Old 06-16-2018, 06:37 AM

Congrats. Love fishing with my kids.
I guess my wife does too, she used to fly fish pregnant lol.

I like taking my kids to one of the many stocked ponds, I’ll look for a link that has them listed.
It’s easy fishing for them and they usually get some action (bringing in a twelve inch brown at two years old forever changed my daughter.) 👍🏻
Bring lots of snacks and water, sun screen and bug spray
Have fun.

Oh there is a kids can catch event in Cochrane today if your in the area.
Here is my boy at 2 or 3,

https://instagram.com/p/BLmxz-fFR2v/
Old 06-16-2018, 07:26 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by openfire View Post
Congrats. Love fishing with my kids.
I guess my wife does too, she used to fly fish pregnant lol.

I like taking my kids to one of the many stocked ponds, I’ll look for a link that has them listed.
It’s easy fishing for them and they usually get some action (bringing in a twelve inch brown at two years old forever changed my daughter.) 👍🏻
Bring lots of snacks and water, sun screen and bug spray
Have fun.

Oh there is a kids can catch event in Cochrane today if your in the area.
Here is my boy at 2 or 3,

https://instagram.com/p/BLmxz-fFR2v/
Nice! I was just digging through my rods trying to figure out what size would suit him best. My ice rod is a tad short for casting and I think the rest are too long. I’m going to buy him his own today.

Thanks for your input.
Old 06-16-2018, 07:45 AM

Bring tons of snacks and a ball to throw between lulls
Old 06-16-2018, 08:08 AM

A little tid bit of advice, or just my opinion,
but when I got my twins into fishing I took them and purchased a decent quality rod and reel and line, I think to get them really interested its important that they are not breaking their line,rod tips, crappy drag systems and losing fish all the time, if the quality is there I believe they land more fish and have a much better experience that will make them stay interested longer.
Good on you guys for taking your kids fishing !
Old 06-16-2018, 09:06 AM

Having raised 4 kids and introducing them all to fishing I found a pond was the way to go the first few years. Flowing water is difficult enough for adults to read and cast and retrieve in without snagging, let alone a little guy with no experience. There are lots of stocked trout ponds in the Red Deer area, Heritage ranch, Niemalas by Benalto, Hansens just south of Hwy 11 by Eckville, Lacombes Len Thompson's pond, all stocked with rainbows. Another option if you have a boat is Burnstick Lake, right by the campground, millions of perch and we couldn't keep them off the hook.

Either way, a single hook, little bobber and a piece of worm or power bait for trout and you're set. Nothing like the excitement on a kids face when their bobber disappears for the first time .

Someone also mentioned a ball or toys, great idea because attention spans are very short at that age. Keep the outing relatively short too..if it becomes an ordeal he won't remember the experience fondly.
Old 06-16-2018, 09:08 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbhunter View Post
A little tid bit of advice, or just my opinion,
but when I got my twins into fishing I took them and purchased a decent quality rod and reel and line, I think to get them really interested its important that they are not breaking their line,rod tips, crappy drag systems and losing fish all the time, if the quality is there I believe they land more fish and have a much better experience that will make them stay interested longer.
Good on you guys for taking your kids fishing !
I agree, I did the same with my sons. Stay away from the plastic junk.
Old 06-16-2018, 10:02 AM

To make it more fun you could take along something like a pool noodle made into a circle and anchor it on the water with a sting and rock. Let your son try to cast into the circle. Kids are learning magnets. Give him good equipment and he will learn that much quicker.

Have fun. Send pics.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 06-16-2018, 11:55 AM

Keep the length of the outing fairly short. My sister was turned off of fishing for years when we were kids because we tournament fished and my dad kept us out on the water for up to 8 hours a day. No amount of snacks and games can overcome that length of time for a small kid.

I keep outings with my kids to about 2 hours. Include lots of snacks. Also ice cream or a slurpee on the way home is a great reward.

Some of my fondest memories “fishing” as a kid were going swimming, worm races, playing with leeches, looking at the fish in the livewell or bucket, float races with pieces of wood or grass in moving water, wiener roasts, and snacks.
Old 06-16-2018, 12:31 PM

I can still remember the look on my son's face with the first fish he caught. He was 5 yrs. old and the little 1 1/2 lb rainbow almost pulled HIM into the water . Well he reeled in 5 total in about 1/2 hr. Put on a stringer took a pic and it was all he could do to hold them up. PRICELESS. That was 20 years ago and still like yesterday. He still out fishes my when going for Rainbows. Enjoy your time
Old 06-17-2018, 08:03 AM
Suspended User

I started my girl out on a Dock Demon rod. Lasted her until she turned 4. It caught her lots of perch, but the drag died after a few pike. Its been reborn as an ice rod.
Her rod now came from one of the rv dealers at the Outdoors show. Good older 5 foot rod, closed real. I see the also at garage sales, which is good because they occasionally end up lost overboard or used as swords when we play.
I take my gold pans when I take little kids along. Boys and rocks go together. Binoculars are another item to take, Value Village sometimes gets the cheap ones in. Also don't forget the extra clothes and towels so you can fish while kiddo can amuse himself in the water catching critters.
Old 06-18-2018, 07:03 AM
Banned

Thanks for all the great advice! I got him a ugly stick gx2 youth that has great reviews and we are practiced up. I’m taking him to my honey hole where I have pulled out several species of fish like gold eye, suager, pike and even a small sturgeon. This large and deep pool has been my go to spot for decades! I’ll let y’all know how we did😁 thanks again.