Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 06-01-2018, 07:33 AM

Default North raven river

Hi, just wondering if someone can give me some tips on fishing this river.

To be honest I hate this river. I have spent countless hours and days fishing this river an while I have landed a couple small brookies, most days are unproductive. What frustrates me the most is I see fish ever time I go there and usually at least one in the 16 - 20 inch range is seen, but I can't get them to bite.
Have even had my fly bounce off their nose only to have them turn and eat a stray piece of debris floating down the river. I have tried large flies, small flies, light, dark, and everything in between with no luck.

I am by no means a " pro " fly fisher, but I do ok.

If someone would be willing to help me out with some tips that would be great! Pm works too.

Thanks
Matt
Old 06-01-2018, 08:48 AM

Matt,

You have what it takes to conquer Stauffer Creek - the creek from hell. Patience and preservence
I have fished the Stauffer for over 45 years. She doesn't give up her secrets readily. Many times I've been skunked. Some days rewarded. You gotta keep at it.
Some years ago I got a lesson. There were 4 or 5 Browns up to 20" that lived in a corner pool. I tied flys each morning and they rejected them that afternoon. Took 5 days to get their number and all came to hand.
Why do I go back. Lots of reasons. Memories of times shared, memories of fish landed and missed, the pastoral quiet and a chance that someday I will actually catch 20 fish in one day.

Don
Old 06-01-2018, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Andersen View Post
Matt,

You have what it takes to conquer Stauffer Creek - the creek from hell. Patience and preservence
I have fished the Stauffer for over 45 years. She doesn't give up her secrets readily. Many times I've been skunked. Some days rewarded. You gotta keep at it.
Some years ago I got a lesson. There were 4 or 5 Browns up to 20" that lived in a corner pool. I tied flys each morning and they rejected them that afternoon. Took 5 days to get their number and all came to hand.
Why do I go back. Lots of reasons. Memories of times shared, memories of fish landed and missed, the pastoral quiet and a chance that someday I will actually catch 20 fish in one day.

Don
Well put, Don. You just wrapped up exactly why i keep coming back too. Thank you.
Old 06-01-2018, 02:11 PM

The challenge is what makes this sport so rewarding, and when you finally unlock the puzzle, its that much sweeter.

Keep at it, maybe try first or last light of the day. Eventually those bruins will slip-up
Old 06-01-2018, 06:22 PM

Thanks Don. Creek from hell is a fitting name. I spend almost as much time in the willows as i do the water. but, I will keep at it.
Old 06-01-2018, 08:16 PM

There is a huge advantage in fishing Stauffer. You learn stream craft, the multitude of casts needed, patience, water reading and on and on.
Those skills will serve you well whereever you may fish.
Stauffer is graduate school.
Frustration is part of the learning curve.
We all enjoy the willows from time to time

Regards,

Don