Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 04-08-2022, 10:40 PM

Default Sako Optilock one piece mounts

Anything good/bad to say about these:

Anything better at a better price? These will end up being around $210-220 after shipping and Percision Optics is about the only place I can them at. I want to avoid two-piece mounts.

Will be used to mount a Z3 onto an 85 in 7-08.

Thanks for your input!
Old 04-09-2022, 06:35 AM

If you can get the proper eye relief with your chosen scope, they will be fine, The only issue that I had, was that I couldn't mount one scope far enough forward. I have also used the Leupold one piece rings, and they were also fine,l at half the price..
Old 04-09-2022, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnguy View Post
Anything good/bad to say about these:

Anything better at a better price? These will end up being around $210-220 after shipping and Percision Optics is about the only place I can them at. I want to avoid two-piece mounts.

Will be used to mount a Z3 onto an 85 in 7-08.

Thanks for your input!
They are over priced and cheaply made IMO. The metal is soft and the inserts are brittle. I took a set off my 85 and put on Burris bases and Leupold rings at half the price and twice the quality. Got rid of the Z3 as well but that is another story.
Old 04-09-2022, 11:31 AM

I've had a set on a Sako 7RM for 20+ years, No issues.
I was thinking about getting another set for an older Sako. Curious as to what you guys have to say.
Old 04-09-2022, 01:21 PM
Banned

Near makes the best rings for sakos
Made in camrose also
Old 04-09-2022, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_mark View Post
Near makes the best rings for sakos
Made in camrose also
Yup and quite the guy!
Old 04-09-2022, 03:48 PM

I've been pleased with my Talley mounts. Here's an older photo on my Tikka, the only difference now is I've added the Talley bubble level:

https://imgur.com/a/hvMQdlH
https://imgur.com/a/unls7Ve

Last edited by jlagman; 04-09-2022 at 03:49 PM. Reason: Image
Old 04-09-2022, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlagman View Post
I've been pleased with my Talley mounts. Here's an older photo on my Tikka, the only difference now is I've added the Talley bubble level:

https://imgur.com/a/hvMQdlH
https://imgur.com/a/unls7Ve
The Sako 85 isn't drilled and tapped, so Talley rings are not an option.
Old 04-09-2022, 05:23 PM

Used them on every Sako I’ve owned and wouldn’t use anything else. Never an issue
Old 04-09-2022, 08:57 PM

I have a couple lockers full of Sako rifles, all of them with Optilocks. They are worth every penny. Ensure to get the one-piece style as they are much nicer then the separate rings and bases. The eye relief will not be an issue with a Z3.
Old 04-09-2022, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raised by wolves View Post
I have a couple lockers full of Sako rifles, all of them with Optilocks. They are worth every penny. Ensure to get the one-piece style as they are much nicer then the separate rings and bases. The eye relief will not be an issue with a Z3.
Will I get away with low one-piece mounts with a 3-10x42 Z3?
Old 04-10-2022, 09:46 AM

I have the 2 piece Optilocks on all my Sako 75 rifles except the one I had built into a 338-06AI back in 2008- this one has the one piece. I love them all. Never an issue . I have a pair of the one piece sitting in the safe waiting for another Sako 75 project rifle in the future My first Sako 75 rifle is a 300wm bought new in 1996/97 - never an issue with scope mount/ scope out of zero. Still my main rifle to this day.
Old 04-10-2022, 09:59 AM

Quote:
I think you should ..I have 3.5-10x40 Leupold VX3 in the low one piece setup.
Old 04-10-2022, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Yes. I have a couple Z3 3-10X42, all in one piece extra Low.
Old 04-12-2022, 11:50 PM

Thanks to everyone for the replies.

I was especially hoping you, raised by wolves, would chime in. I haven’t seen these one-piece mounts in extra low. In general, they seem to hard to find. I will probably go with a set of lows.

Appreciate your reply, Ice Fishing Maniac, as well.

Jlagman, if Talley Lightwieghts was an option, I’m pretty sure that’s what I would be using.

Mark, Near has one of the worst websites, almost hard to follow what’s what. It also appears that one would have to go with their rail, not just the rings. I wonder what the weight of the whole “package” is vs these optilocks (not that it is very important). And what is the price?
Old 07-02-2023, 03:17 AM

I’ll bump this up because I finally mounted the scope on the rifle, lol.

It really turned out great. I got a little thrown off by the “move the front mount forward to move the point of impact to the left (or right?) if you run out of windage on your scope adjustments” type wording in the instructions, but raised by wolves straightened me out via PM, haha, which I greatly appreciate. So the scope is mounted and roughly boresighted at about 100 meters (hopefully, that’ll work out when I am sighting it in).

I guess a few pics are obligatory due to the bump:

I could have likely gotten away with extra low mounts, like raised by wolves suggested in one of the posts above, but I haven’t seen any in stock anyway.

On a side note, what a great gun to handle! I know what I will be hunting with this coming season.

Again, thanks to all you who replied here and an extra to raised by wolves for suggesting to simply mounting the scope centred around the bore (it really did throw me off, but his good advice kicked the common sense back in, lol).

For now, beside the price, I am not sure why anyone would use any other mounts on these guns. But I also see elkhunter’s comment above about the eye relief. As can be seen in the photos above, there are only a few (like 2-3?) millimetres that the scope could be pulled back if needed; yet, the front mount could be pulled back quite a bit as well if necessary.

And thanks to Prophet River, where I bought the gun. Clay and everyone else there are great people to deal with!
Old 07-02-2023, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK2750 View Post
They are over priced and cheaply made IMO. The metal is soft and the inserts are brittle. I took a set off my 85 and put on Burris bases and Leupold rings at half the price and twice the quality. Got rid of the Z3 as well but that is another story.
Your rings are fine and I have the same set on one of my sako's ,but the metal is bit soft and pricey . I went with the burris steel dove tail bases since they give me a shot a multiple rings to try out in case of eye relief or I can go from 1 inch to 30mm in less then 1 minute if I want to change scopes.

This burris dove tail base is a very solid base and the price is like 60 or 70 bucks . I have a tool box full of weaver base rings so I sold all my 2 piece sako rings an went with this burris ,so far so good .
Old 07-02-2023, 11:50 AM

Burris bases, either windage adjustable rear or Dual Dovetail as shown or the old Sako rings are the only ways to go. On the Burris bases just put nail polish on the threads and turn them to just touch the receiver.
Old 07-02-2023, 12:08 PM

The bases I got are the Burris Xtreme Tactical -steel dovetail base number / 410635,cost was 55 bucks for these on my sako 75 . I have set of the burris type like Rembo posted .

Nothing wrong with the op's set up ,in fact it looks real good and yes Clay is the go to guy to get things done .
Old 07-02-2023, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikeslayer22 View Post
Yup and quite the guy!
Lol, he sure is… until you send his base back to him because it protrudes into ejection port and ejected shells hit the base. Saying complete customer satisfaction and then charging a restocking fee, and a screw cleaning fee, and saying he’d have to sell it used. Lol. I’m sure they are good bases, I just used the Leupold back country rings. Problems gone, half the price.

Tullfan
Old 07-02-2023, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
The Sako 85 isn't drilled and tapped, so Talley rings are not an option.

So glad that my 75 was. This proprietary or close, limited compatable mount BS would probably be enough to make me not want one.

Funny how their supposedly "lesser" line has zero mount and ejection problems.
Old 07-03-2023, 10:44 AM

Fishnguy, glad this all came together for you. Nice rig.

One of my buddies just bought another 85 and decided to go cheap in buying the Leupold mounts. That lasted about an hour after he realized he had to start messing around with windage and an off-centre scope. He quickly went back to buying the Optilocks.
Old 01-09-2024, 03:18 PM

Quote:
I’ll bump this up because I finally mounted the scope on the rifle, lol.

It really turned out great. I got a little thrown off by the “move the front mount forward to move the point of impact to the left (or right?) if you run out of windage on your scope adjustments” type wording in the instructions, but raised by wolves straightened me out via PM, haha, which I greatly appreciate. So the scope is mounted and roughly boresighted at about 100 meters (hopefully, that’ll work out when I am sighting it in).

I guess a few pics are obligatory due to the bump:

I could have likely gotten away with extra low mounts, like raised by wolves suggested in one of the posts above, but I haven’t seen any in stock anyway.

On a side note, what a great gun to handle! I know what I will be hunting with this coming season.

Again, thanks to all you who replied here and an extra to raised by wolves for suggesting to simply mounting the scope centred around the bore (it really did throw me off, but his good advice kicked the common sense back in, lol).

For now, beside the price, I am not sure why anyone would use any other mounts on these guns. But I also see elkhunter’s comment above about the eye relief. As can be seen in the photos above, there are only a few (like 2-3?) millimetres that the scope could be pulled back if needed; yet, the front mount could be pulled back quite a bit as well if necessary.

And thanks to Prophet River, where I bought the gun. Clay and everyone else there are great people to deal with!

Forgive my ignorance on this one, but should the rear mount/ring not be almost even with the ejection port, rather than all the way back as yours is? This would give you more scope travel also.

I have a Finnlight II on its way, along with a set of Optilock one piece mounts and a Leupold VX5HD with a 44mm objective. A few of the videos I've seen show the rear mount far forward, even with the port, and the front mount as centered as possible.

Edit...... Nevermind. I see the rear mount has the recoil pin. My bad.

Last edited by X-Treme; 01-09-2024 at 03:27 PM.
Old 01-10-2024, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tullfan View Post
Lol, he sure is… until you send his base back to him because it protrudes into ejection port and ejected shells hit the base. Saying complete customer satisfaction and then charging a restocking fee, and a screw cleaning fee, and saying he’d have to sell it used. Lol. I’m sure they are good bases, I just used the Leupold back country rings. Problems gone, half the price.

Tullfan
I sent bases back to him because the base hung over the ejection port and I didn't like the look of it, but I didn't use them at all , no restocking fee etc. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

I also tried the one piece Optiloks in low, they are too low for a 50mm Leupold, and returned them. I bought them from Stoeger, if someone else is looking for them.
Old 01-13-2024, 03:01 PM

I just went through the Sako Optilock saga trying to find ones that would work for a 56mm scope on an AV receiver. I replaced a leupold 40mm scope with a zeiss 56mm scope and found out a few things in regards to optilocks along the way. So I had the one piece Optilock ring mounts mounting the 40mm scope. Once I got the 56mm scope the test fit showed the one piece ringmounts were not high enough. Turns out my ringmounts were the lows. And the 56mm was so close to fitting. Research showed that mediums in the ringmounts did not exist. So I used the two piece rings and bases. I had Optilock bases on hand and ordered the Optilock rings in low and once put together they fit perfectly with a couple mms the spare. They are a nice solid mount just a tad on the heavy side.