Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-25-2009, 04:45 PM

Default Bull trout flies

Hey all you experinced fly anglers out there! I am going to Kootenay Lake this summer hoping to hook up with some bulls for the first time. I would like some advise on catching bulls on the fly. All I know is that they like big flies. any advise on flies or techniques would be great!
Old 06-25-2009, 10:07 PM

Hey Goldeye,

I do a fair amount of bull trout fishing on rivers but haven't dabbled in the lakes.

I love 4-6 inch double bunny's with Crystal flash, I have had bulls attack 17" cuttys on rivers and switched it over to a big streamer on a full sink line and caught some pigs.

I would imagine on lakes that you would have to find them first, much more concentrated on rivers, but you'll know when they are in the area if you catch a smaller fish they'll follow it to the boat.

They're aggressive as hell, anything that resembles a wounded fish will draw strikes

Good luck!!
Old 06-25-2009, 10:17 PM

BIG STREAMERS!!!! Enough said
Old 06-25-2009, 10:26 PM

big flashy Clouser minnows work well, I have found that when tying clouser minnows if you use big googly eyes out of a craft store that really seems to be the ticket (I know it sounds ridiculous but it works) general note the brighter and flashier the better
Old 06-25-2009, 10:43 PM

are you fishing from shore or boat and what part of the lake if your around the belfour area the local fly shops are real good also kaslo has a real good fly shop when we go there this time of yr for the bulls we down rig from 60-150 ft. the flys are 4-6 inch bucktail streamers when we go there we stay at woodbury marina and fish around there the marina there has some good flys also have fun and catch a big one
Old 06-26-2009, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowfin View Post
are you fishing from shore or boat and what part of the lake if your around the belfour area the local fly shops are real good also kaslo has a real good fly shop when we go there this time of yr for the bulls we down rig from 60-150 ft. the flys are 4-6 inch bucktail streamers when we go there we stay at woodbury marina and fish around there the marina there has some good flys also have fun and catch a big one
I'm by kokanee creek
Old 06-26-2009, 08:46 PM

Default buck tail

I have only seen them out there, we were told to use a 215 buck tail. I can't wait to get back out there.
Old 06-26-2009, 09:33 PM

lol
rented a big boat on kootenay lake and it had a marine radio in the boat and we would here the locals talking on it when they would catch a fish and they would say a number and after lots of beer at the marina one of the locals gave it up. it been a few yrs since i been there but i have a few 215s and lots of others got to get back there this winter what a time
Old 06-27-2009, 06:39 AM

I tie a minnow pattern with bucktail in black,white,blue and red to look like a small rainbow works for me........silver tinsel on body for bright days and gold for dark days