Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-20-2024, 09:38 AM

Default Elk Island five Bison down

Had and incident Thursday morning at 4:00 AM. 5 Bison down. Two trucks. Fort Sask RCMP called to the scene. How do you hit bison in a 60km zone? Every year, some sort incident in the park.
https://globalnews.ca/news/10765380/...-bison-killed/
Old 09-20-2024, 10:25 AM

Default bison

Driver not being careful, probably going well over speed limit. This bison could have been transfered into northern foothills for us to hunt.
Old 09-20-2024, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
Driver not being careful, probably going well over speed limit.
RCMP stated that speed and alcohol were not a factor in both collisions.

Thick fog, apparently.
Old 09-20-2024, 03:14 PM

Cars,
the modern day wolf....

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 09-20-2024, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Buffalo View Post
RCMP stated that speed and alcohol were not a factor in both collisions.

Thick fog, apparently.
Right Stinky.

The causal effect is right in the title and mentioned several times in the article, heavy fog.

Bison don't come with tail lights, if it was dark and with heavy fog, a driver could be right on them before seeing them and have no chance of evading a collision, even at 60 Km.
Old 09-20-2024, 04:21 PM

What alot of people do not realize, is that most of the bison herds re introduced in North America came from Elk Island National Park.

The herds around Zama, the Yukon, Banff National Park, Saskatchewan, all came from the pure bred woods bison from Elk Island.

The transfers of bison stopped because of CWD, but it appears that there is no transfer to bison and the transfers will continue.

The Elk Island herd are purebred Woods Bison, and never contracted brucellosis, anthrax, or TB, which is why they are such good stock for re establishing the bison to the wild.

Losing 5 animals is unfortunate, and I hope that the drivers and passengers of the trucks involved are not injured.

Drewski
Old 09-20-2024, 04:55 PM

My son hit one in Yellowstone, very dark night and oncoming bright head lights, Boom. Apparently a regular occurrence.

Isaiah 5:8
Old 09-20-2024, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewski Canuck View Post
What alot of people do not realize, is that most of the bison herds re introduced in North America came from Elk Island National Park.

The herds around Zama, the Yukon, Banff National Park, Saskatchewan, all came from the pure bred woods bison from Elk Island.

The transfers of bison stopped because of CWD, but it appears that there is no transfer to bison and the transfers will continue.

The Elk Island herd are purebred Woods Bison, and never contracted brucellosis, anthrax, or TB, which is why they are such good stock for re establishing the bison to the wild.

Losing 5 animals is unfortunate, and I hope that the drivers and passengers of the trucks involved are not injured.

Drewski
Actually, I think there was a bison sanctuary near Wainwright and they were spread out from there.

http://www.wainwrightdistrict.org/ca...tar_090709.php

https://www.whyte.org/post/pablo-all...d-conservation

Old 09-20-2024, 05:09 PM

I have driven through Elk Island for years. You never know where the herd could be and they don't care about the road. I don't know how many times we thought we would miss our tee time waiting for a couple move enough so we could get around them. Now people do zoom along on that road, I have too but in the daylight. Night time with fog would not be a good time to speed.
Old 09-20-2024, 08:03 PM

Grizz,

The Wainwright herd was diseased, and cross bred with Plains Bison.

Those bison were shipped by train and then moved to Wood Buffalo National park. That was the the source of the diseased inbred Bison that the Feds want to eliminate.

There is a steep river valley with big cliffs in Wood Buffalo and that is the natural barrier that keeps the undesirable Wainwright bison from the remaining Woods Bison which are disease free.

Feds have wanted to kill off all the unpure bison in the park, wait a number of years, and then re stock with the herd that is at Rainbow lake - Zama City.

Costs had last been estimated at $100 Million and still no action on extirpating the diseased herd from the Park.

Drewski
Old 09-20-2024, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewski Canuck View Post

Losing 5 animals is unfortunate, and I hope that the drivers and passengers
of the trucks involved are not injured.

Drewski
Elk island has both subspecies of bison. The Woodland are on the south side of hwy 16 and the Plains are on the north.
Old 09-20-2024, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by highwood View Post
Elk island has both subspecies of bison. The Woodland are on the south side of hwy 16 and the Plains are on the north.
Yup.
Old 09-20-2024, 10:05 PM

What happens when the two types meet on the highway to make babies?
Old 09-20-2024, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Eagle View Post
What happens when the two types meet on the highway to make babies?
Sounds like they get run over
Old 09-20-2024, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainTi View Post
Zing!
Old 09-20-2024, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainTi View Post
Only when it's foggy.....

All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent. Edmund Burke
Old 09-20-2024, 11:01 PM

I was at the park this spring talking to the bio.

I had never heard that both sub species were in the park, only woods bison.

elk Island truly is a fantastic resource for re introduction of species.

But in any event, if you knew the elk that have been transplanted around North America, as far as the Great Smoky Mountains if you can believe it, that is truly an impressive story!

Elk from Elk Island have been placed behind Long Lake by Boyle, north of Athabasca, Suffield Base, etc, from Elk Island.

The Suffield Herd was as many as 7000 on the base, and smaller herds off the base in all directions. The Suffield transplants were about 230ish animals over a number of years, so think of that rate of reproduction!

Drewski
Old 09-21-2024, 07:38 AM

So who gets the meat??
Old 09-21-2024, 08:16 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB2506 View Post
Right Stinky.

The causal effect is right in the title and mentioned several times in the article, heavy fog.

Bison don't come with tail lights, if it was dark and with heavy fog, a driver could be right on them before seeing them and have no chance of evading a collision, even at 60 Km.
Exactly, my son was coming back from fort Nelson one year and he said he literally went through a mine field of bison walking on the road at night in a low visibility situation. Said it was like slow motion holy crap this is going to hurt but went past them untouched..... very lucky!

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 09-21-2024, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by highwood View Post
This is correct ✅. The plains Bison are in the north part of the park. Plains bison Much more abundant than the Woods Bison. Driving up to Fort Smith a few years back for a fishing trip. We encountered a few wood Buffalo. We slowly pushed through them. The Bison wouldn’t leave the road.

Last edited by lmtada; 09-21-2024 at 09:27 AM.
Old 09-21-2024, 11:23 AM

I don’t get it- was the truck travelling on hiway 16? Were the bisons standing on a hiway 16? I thought it was all fenced along the yellowhead and the Elk Island park… If it was foggy on a yellowhead- the traffic would slow down to 60… But to hit so many animals? There should’ve been a pile up of cars then…
Old 09-21-2024, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGB View Post
I don’t get it- was the truck travelling on hiway 16? Were the bisons standing on a hiway 16? I thought it was all fenced along the yellowhead and the Elk Island park… If it was foggy on a yellowhead- the traffic would slow down to 60… But to hit so many animals? There should’ve been a pile up of cars then…
This was in the park,watch the video in the first post.
Old 09-21-2024, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGB View Post
KGB you looking for dog food…..
Old 09-22-2024, 08:29 AM

Out of literally a bazillion trips through that park on 16 I've never seen a Bison out on the highway. Obviously they must find a way out from time to time and unfortunately it's a busy stretch of highway on occasion. And out of those bazillion trips through the park I've only ever spotted 2 bull elk, both on the north side. You'd think with the name "Elk Island" you'd see more of them.
Old 09-22-2024, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armorman View Post
Out of literally a bazillion trips through that park on 16 I've never seen a Bison out on the highway. Obviously they must find a way out from time to time and unfortunately it's a busy stretch of highway on occasion. And out of those bazillion trips through the park I've only ever spotted 2 bull elk, both on the north side. You'd think with the name "Elk Island" you'd see more of them.
I think some transplanted elk came from there, gotta keep the numbers in check.

I did not realize this, the bison you hit on the Alaska highway might have come from Alberta.

https://www.canada.ca/en/parks-canad...slocation.html