Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-15-2024, 07:47 PM

Default Stand up paddle board

The boss has been wanting one of these for some time. Costco has the Body Glove Performer 11 on sale. Does anyone have experience with this paddle board?

On my computer it had a 3 star rating. Now that I'm home on my phone, it has a 4.6 star rating. Not sure what's up with that.

One negative is that it only has 1 fin.

It does come with an electric pump, that has to plug into your car. But no hand pump.

I don't know anything about these things. Is there a better one to get? This is on sale for $400.

Sent from my SM-S901W using Tapatalk
Old 04-15-2024, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Bacon View Post
The boss has been wanting one of these for some time. Costco has the Body Glove Performer 11 on sale. Does anyone have experience with this paddle board?

On my computer it had a 3 star rating. Now that I'm home on my phone, it has a 4.6 star rating. Not sure what's up with that.

It does come with an electric pump, that has to plug into your car. But no hand pump.

I don't know anything about these things. Is there a better one to get? This is on sale for $400.

Wife used one last year while we were visiting friends on the lake. It was her first time, she liked it. But she is an amateur not a profi to know the difference…. Buy it, use it, you can always return it after…
Old 04-15-2024, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGB View Post
Wife used one last year while we were visiting friends on the lake. It was her first time, she liked it. But she is an amateur not a profi to know the difference…. Buy it, use it, you can always return it after…
Ya my woman's skill level wouldn't know the difference between a quality board and a log, but I don't want to set her up for failure.

Is the one she used the Body Glove brand?

Old 04-15-2024, 08:03 PM

I went a couple times with the wife. Have a decent amount of experience surfing and kayaking. It was ok but kinda…pointless?

Inflatable are a little less stable and tougher to use in the wind. Much easier to pack though. I liked foam boards much better, but then that what I’m used to

Many if not most adults buy these things use em 3 times and the novelty wears off. It’s not fast like a canoe, stable and fun like a kayak, or relaxing like a boat. You can get them very cheap second hand.

And yeah, the wind. It picks up as the day goes on. So when you start out at sunrise and it’s glass, it’s best NOT to head for open water Hard to believe, but many people (particularly urban women) don’t know this and severely overestimate their paddling abilities, and end up with long walks or very wet and unhappy. Make sure she’s wearing a good PFD.
Old 04-15-2024, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3blade View Post
I went a couple times with the wife. Have a decent amount of experience surfing and kayaking. It was ok but kinda…pointless?

Inflatable are a little less stable and tougher to use in the wind. Much easier to pack though. I liked foam boards much better, but then that what I’m used to

Many if not most adults buy these things use em 3 times and the novelty wears off. It’s not fast like a canoe, stable and fun like a kayak, or relaxing like a boat. You can get them very cheap second hand.

And yeah, the wind. It picks up as the day goes on. So when you start out at sunrise and it’s glass, it’s best NOT to head for open water Hard to believe, but many people (particularly urban women) don’t know this and severely overestimate their paddling abilities, and end up with long walks or very wet and unhappy. Make sure she’s wearing a good PFD.
That's the thing. She saw them a few years ago and got all excited. Then tried one a couple years ago when it was windy and it didn't work out. And she's wanted one ever since.

Old 04-15-2024, 08:14 PM

My wife and sons gf have these paddle boards. They seem to like them.
Old 04-15-2024, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Ya my woman's skill level wouldn't know the difference between a quality board and a log, but I don't want to set her up for failure.

Is the one she used the Body Glove brand?

I have no idea about the brand. The only thing that I clearly remember is that the friends said they got those from Costco. And were planning to return them after a few summer months, lol!
Old 04-15-2024, 09:20 PM

My daughter says to look at a Breeze Aero. She used one for a few years all over BC. My daughter knows her stuff btw. She said its easy to pack.
Old 04-15-2024, 09:23 PM

Quote:

We have 2 different and this one is my fave. Had it 2 years and lots of use by me and kids. Can’t go wrong IMHO
Old 04-15-2024, 09:25 PM

My daughters and wife have the Body Glove SUPs from Costco and they work well for them. I’m not a big fan of SUPs, but they seem to be well built and they enjoy their time on them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors
Old 04-15-2024, 10:41 PM

Thanks, guys. I think I'll pick one up so she can try it out. I'm sure the kids will have fun with it this summer too.

Old 04-16-2024, 06:36 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

We got some four years ago, I was spending time fishing off of it, not my thing so we got kayaks but the wife kept hers.

Seen people with them packed up for overnighters complete with a dog up front.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 04-16-2024, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Thanks, guys. I think I'll pick one up so she can try it out. I'm sure the kids will have fun with it this summer too.

I've had one for a couple of years now and enjoy it . It's a rigid model so I think it's a bit more stable than a blow up. They are IMO way more fun than a kayak. Ever need to take a pee while kayaking,total pain in the butt. Paddle out to the middle of the lake ,lay on your board and relax or just jump off for a swim. You can wear a PDF but really you are attached to your board ,easy to climb back on if you fall off.
Old 04-16-2024, 08:43 AM

I only have hard ones… not inflatable. But those on the lake with the Costco ones like it. Only caution is ensuring they are not blown up and nina place that gets very warm in the sun or you may hear a loud pop.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 04-16-2024, 10:15 AM

Bacon I think for the $ and for your wife it will be a decent board. Mine was also through Costco about 7 years ago and is a Jimmy Styx. They were there for a few years and then not to be seen. It was a bit more heavy duty at 300 lb rating and I think 6" thick inflated. I am 6'2 and 235 so wanted the big board.
It was still about 700 bucks back then.
For my use it is great.
I have seen inflatable SUP at winners sometimes as well and 6-700 boards marked down half.
They are fun but as others said no good in the wind!!!!
Old 04-16-2024, 10:21 AM

My daughter borrows inflatable SUPs from friends and family who have them. Among them were these Body Glove ones, and they are decent, especially for the current Costco sale price.

Have been debating about getting her her own, but then there's the issue about who she is going to go with... We'd have to buy two so she can take a friend and not go alone... First world problems, eh?

Me, I'm trying to convince IncrediGirl that was absolutely need a fishing boat. For the kids' sake, of course.
Old 04-16-2024, 10:58 AM

Wink My $0.02

Quote:
I had to check this out. It's definitely messed up on the Costco site.
A search for paddleboard turns up 7 results, with this model showing a 3 star review on the search page. When you open it to see more details, it has a 4.6 star review.

As others have mentioned, wind can cause navigation and control issues for paddleboards. Therefore, you need to have the means to effect a recovery if the weather turns while she is out on the water. It should be motorized, and come with comfy seats and a live well.

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 04-16-2024, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Buffalo View Post
My daughter borrows inflatable SUPs from friends and family who have them. Among them were these Body Glove ones, and they are decent, especially for the current Costco sale price.

Have been debating about getting her her own, but then there's the issue about who she is going to go with... We'd have to buy two so she can take a friend and not go alone... First world problems, eh?

Me, I'm trying to convince IncrediGirl that was absolutely need a fishing boat. For the kids' sake, of course.
Why of course..... they come first!!!!!
Old 04-16-2024, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban rednek View Post
I had to check this out. It's definitely messed up on the Costco site.

A search for paddleboard turns up 7 results, with this model showing a 3 star review on the search page. When you open it to see more details, it has a 4.6 star review.

As others have mentioned, wind can cause navigation and control issues for paddleboards. Therefore, you need to have the means to effect a recovery if the weather turns while she is out on the water. It should be motorized, and come with comfy seats and a live well.
Those are my kind of upgrades

Old 04-16-2024, 09:48 PM

I just have to make it to Costco. But I think we're going to purchase this paddle board. And hopefully it opens the door to me being allowed to get a kayak. I just have to check on stock

Old 04-16-2024, 10:07 PM

Quote:
I just have to make it to Costco. But I think we're going to purchase this paddle board. And hopefully it opens the door to me being allowed to get a kayak. I just have to check on stock

The online price is always more than the in store price. Online price always has shipping added into it. It should be considerably cheaper in store if you can find a store that has stock. I bet it’s $350 or less in store if the online price is $400.
Old 04-17-2024, 10:49 AM

The Calgary Heritage location has them in stock for $400. This morning, the display is on the right by the electronics, just inside the entrance.

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell