Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-09-2023, 04:30 PM

Default Hip replacement

Does anyone on here have experience with going out of country or province to get a hip replacement. I’m looking at least 2-3 years to get it done with ahs.
So far in 1.5 years all I’ve got is a phone consultation with surgeon.
Old 11-09-2023, 05:06 PM

Boy am I going to watch this thread.
Cna't even get on the list here inAlberta!

Love to Live, Live to Shoot
Live by the Gun...Die by the Gun...
Old 11-09-2023, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzysoil View Post
Does anyone on here have experience with going out of country or province to get a hip replacement. I’m looking at least 2-3 years to get it done with ahs.
If your on Facebook you could ask Rich Mellon he just went to the states and got it done I think he’s 209x50 on here
Old 11-10-2023, 02:47 PM

I have heard Germany offers better value than the US.

Thomas Sowell
Old 11-10-2023, 03:00 PM

Yikes. My wife at 45 years old needs a complete hip replacement. Looks like we are in for a long run. Hoping the government can help with disability. She's unable to work, hard to make due on 1 income these days.
Old 11-10-2023, 03:28 PM

Default India

I have an acquaintance that went to India. Not exactly sure where in India.

They said it was like a five star resort. They were there for three weeks. Got there had the surgery and then rehab after. They said they had a great time along with the conditions being amazing. 1/2 the price of US
Old 11-10-2023, 04:11 PM

Go figure. Lots of places offering private surgeries. This one is Sweden

https://www.nordorthopaedics.com/en/...SAAEgJ7HfD_BwE

Go figure. Also a magazine on travel surgeries.

https://www.magazine.medicaltourism....ip-replacement
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 11-10-2023, 10:56 PM

I had hip replacement surgery May 2022
It was a game changer for my quality of life
no more handfuls of pain killers washed down with vodka
An hour after surgery I was asked how is your pain I said a 5 [ take this ] another hour later I was asked the same question I said the say [take this 2 Advil, 2 Tylenol and a Oxy, all 5 pills at once] last pain pills I have taken for hip pain. Another hour later I was walking with a walker, the next morning I was doing stairs and was released from hospital
I had a 5 inch cut on the front of my thigh, as two inch cut on the other side of my belly for the camera to be inserted and a robot did the surgery
Yes it was a private clinic in Toronto, I had a friend who went to Europe for his replacement and when we compared scars his surgery was for sure way more invasive a long cut on the backside.
AHS said the wait period was 20 months, this was in January of 2022, when I got my paperwork in order which I could have completed faster but when I sent my paperwork in , it was a three week wait time
IF I can help anyone with advice please don't be shy. Just ask
I feel fortunate to be able to do this through private health care but I was a quality of life changing experience
Old 11-11-2023, 03:43 AM

So many differing experiences out there when it comes to AHS.

My other half and I have a very good friend that waited only 6 months for her hip replacement last year.

Her step dad also got one two years ago and waited under a year.

My other half waited 6 months for the MRI she just had two weeks ago.

I have a coworker that only waited one month for her MRI she got last month.

Seems no consistency throughout the board. Maybe AHS prioritizes depending on severity??

I dont know…
Old 11-11-2023, 06:59 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordfishing View Post
I had hip replacement surgery May 2022
It was a game changer for my quality of life
no more handfuls of pain killers washed down with vodka
An hour after surgery I was asked how is your pain I said a 5 [ take this ] another hour later I was asked the same question I said the say [take this 2 Advil, 2 Tylenol and a Oxy, all 5 pills at once] last pain pills I have taken for hip pain. Another hour later I was walking with a walker, the next morning I was doing stairs and was released from hospital
I had a 5 inch cut on the front of my thigh, as two inch cut on the other side of my belly for the camera to be inserted and a robot did the surgery
Yes it was a private clinic in Toronto, I had a friend who went to Europe for his replacement and when we compared scars his surgery was for sure way more invasive a long cut on the backside.
AHS said the wait period was 20 months, this was in January of 2022, when I got my paperwork in order which I could have completed faster but when I sent my paperwork in , it was a three week wait time
IF I can help anyone with advice please don't be shy. Just ask
I feel fortunate to be able to do this through private health care but I was a quality of life changing experience
You paid out of pocket for this surgery?

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 11-11-2023, 08:27 AM

Default Germany Hip Clinic

My son-in-law went to Montreal and paid $31,000 for his first hip. Successful yes, expensive, very much so. Next time we would go to LVR Clinic for Orthopedics Viersen Germany. You can google the clinic ( click top right hand corner box for English when it comes up) approx. $10,000 Canadian plus flights. They were very good at getting back to us all of the information. Just ready to book the flights when AHS scheduled the second hip. The thing we liked about the clinic is it's not third world! It's Germany!
Old 11-11-2023, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodiakken View Post
Boy am I going to watch this thread.
Cna't even get on the list here inAlberta!

Buddy just diagnosed with Parkinson's, sorry you're off the list.

Grizz

Isaiah 5:8
Old 11-11-2023, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1899b View Post

My other half and I have a very good friend that waited only 6 months for her hip replacement last year.

Seems no consistency throughout the board. Maybe AHS prioritizes depending on severity??

I dont know…
When I was waiting for cataract surgery, I waited 3 months and heard nothing. I contacted my optometrist, and we filled out a form stating that I would no longer be able to do my job, and I had an appointment the next week. I guess they preferred that I work and pay taxes, rather than collect EI.
Old 11-11-2023, 09:04 AM

Quote:
My other half and I have a very good friend that waited only 6 months for

I dont know…
Yes, AHS triages mobility/quality of life surgeries based on severity and other mitigating factors. Just like the ER, if other people get called in ahead of you, it generally means they are in worse condition.

There are private surgical clinics in other provinces (IIRC Ontario, Quebec, and BC) that perform hip and knee replacement surgeries, but not in Alberta. The federal bureaucracy won't allow such clinics in Alberta...it's political.

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 11-11-2023, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rafternk View Post
My son-in-law went to Montreal and paid $31,000 for his first hip. Successful yes, expensive, very much so. Next time we would go to LVR Clinic for Orthopedics Viersen Germany. You can google the clinic ( click top right hand corner box for English when it comes up) approx. $10,000 Canadian plus flights. They were very good at getting back to us all of the information. Just ready to book the flights when AHS scheduled the second hip. The thing we liked about the clinic is it's not third world! It's Germany!
Definitely Germany sounds like a better bet than Mexico, or India, but keep in mind that a certain percentage of ALL surgical procedures have post op complications. Those cheap, quick surgeries are a great option, but a medical repatriation flight back home, in the case of a complication, can cause some pretty serious financial concerns.
Old 11-11-2023, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
You paid out of pocket for this surgery?
Yes I paid out of pocket $28,000 plus flight and accommodations, all expenses are a medical tax deduction , which helps too
Old 11-11-2023, 02:59 PM

Default Germany Option

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott h View Post
Definitely Germany sounds like a better bet than Mexico, or India, but keep in mind that a certain percentage of ALL surgical procedures have post op complications. Those cheap, quick surgeries are a great option, but a medical repatriation flight back home, in the case of a complication, can cause some pretty serious financial concerns.
Nothing quick about this option. One week in their hospital pre- surgery one week in their hospital post- surgery. Yes, long post surgery flights can cause serious complications but so can sustained use of prescription painkillers and/or self medication. You also have the option of staying longer to ensure complete recovery.
Old 11-11-2023, 04:19 PM

Wondering which clinic you used in Toronto?

Gordfishing

Last edited by ozzysoil; 11-11-2023 at 04:32 PM.
Old 11-11-2023, 06:16 PM

Quote:

I dont know…
100% they do.

I had hernia surgery last month. Was not impacting my day to day life much and wasn't a severe hernia but I'd get pain from it here and there so decided on surgery. My dr sent off the referral in December 2021, I had my surgical consult in October 2022, and basically was told since my case was pretty minor I'd basically be on a cancellation waitlist otherwise it'd be awhile before I saw an operating room.
Old 11-11-2023, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Wondering which clinic you used in Toronto?

Gordfishing
Clearpoint

Dr Sebastian Rodriguez

They use the orthopaedic Hana Table which is unique
Old 11-11-2023, 07:53 PM

Quote:
I very much doubt AHS does any priority rating. I can't imagine the expertise needed and the volume that would have to be dealt with. I've had both my knees replaced and have had spinal fusion done. In each case it depended entirely on the current caseload my surgeon had and the availability of operating theatres to him. As well, I was told by my surgeon he could only perform a surgery if post-surgery care in the hospital was available for a minimum of three days. Front line staff availability determined this. For my spinal surgery he was down to 3 surgeries a week due to staffing shortages. I was discharged after 2 nights for my first knee, 1 night for my second knee and 2 nights for my spinal fusion. My surgeon and only my surgeon triaged the severity of my condition and determined when I was going to get my surgery. It took me three years to get my first knee replaced with the second one 14 months later. The spinal fusion was a 2 1/2 year process.

A close friend of mine had both his hips replaced in Phoenix late 2023 and early 2024. In both cases, he flew down to Phoenix on a Monday. He presented himself to the clinic on Wednesday morning and was discharged to home care that afternoon. So, basically day surgery. He stayed in a private residence until the following Wednesday when he boarded a plane and flew home. When I asked my Orthopedic surgeon why we can't do the same thing in Canada (day surgery for knee and hip replacements) his response was that AHS will not allow it because of the 3 night after care requirement. But, he did assure me surgeons are lobbying for it in Alberta. I'm thinking it's a union issue protecting front line jobs or just plain old archaic thinking by the powers at AHS.

Anyway, for what it's worth that's my experience with joint replacement and spinal fusion.

Last edited by brazeau; 11-11-2023 at 07:58 PM.
Old 11-11-2023, 09:31 PM

Not sure if I should post this here or not, but my father is as fast tracked for a hip replacement performed here in Alberta last fall and it has been nothing but a disaster. I fully understand complications can happen, but this is beginning to be a bit much. Here’s the coles notes version of what’s going on…
Hip replacement Sept 27/2022
— does extremely well for 3 wks post op, then the infection is discovered
Repeat surgery Nov 2022
— infection still present
Repeat surgery Dec 2022
— sent to care facility for recovery, 6 wks later fractures femur getting out bed at care centre
Fracture repair and hip implant replacement Jan 20233
— something not right with surgery , surgery repeated Feb 2023

— seemingly things move along well until June 2023; infection is back and implants for fracture repair are broken

Surgery to remove implant and replace hip prosthetic July 2023

—- recovery moving along slowly , doing well until femur breaks through screw hole , Sept 27/ 2023 (go figure)

Surgery to repair fracture and hip implants again Oct 2023

—- 2 wks later , infection again

Surgery to remove all implants, will be done bed ridden for 3-6 months Oct 2023

—- yes he is still in the hospital as of right now

Anyhow, complications happen and the Doctors have been excellent throughout all of this. The nursing care on the other hand … no words

My fathers good friend paid to get both of his hips replaced in Ontario around the same time my father had his first surgery. He’s walking around like a new man. Pay to get it done outside of Alberta if you can.

Last edited by PBHunter; 11-11-2023 at 09:37 PM.
Old 11-11-2023, 11:10 PM

If you live in Alberta you have to travel outside to get the hip replacement but say if you are from Manitoba you can come to Calgary as there is a Clearpoint surgical centre in Calgary were the old Grace hospital once was
As previously stated I'm from Calgary and went to Toronto but the follow up was right in Calgary

fyi
Old 11-13-2023, 01:38 PM

My grandmother has had 2 done in Kalispell, MT. At the time she said it was about $10-12k US, as far as I know. The first was 6 years ago, the second just before or after Covid, I cant recall. She would be dead without going across the border. Couldn't move, health was taking huge hit from sitting around in their hour. 86 years old now. As others have echoed, she walked out of the hospital the day of the surgery, back next day for follow up, then in car 4 hours till home. AHS took care of anything post op.
Old 11-13-2023, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Not with a hip replacement but my wife had a laparoscopic surgery for endometriosis back in September in Athens. My honest advice is that if you can afford it go and turn it into a holiday. Another thing make sure you get a letter from your doctor stating that you need the surgery and cannot get it in Canada in a timely matter. You may and I say MAY be able to get ahs to cover it. They gave us the middle finger because the surgeon in Edmonton phoned to book a consultation the morning my wife was going in.

Last edited by Jack fish hunter; 11-13-2023 at 02:21 PM.
Old 11-13-2023, 03:11 PM

People cry that they don't want health care to go private,then they run to other countries and pay for it there .
Right now we are just back logged because of Covid .
Going to take 10 years to catch up now
Old 11-13-2023, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -JR- View Post
People cry that they don't want health care to go private,then they run to other countries and pay for it there .
Right now we are just back logged because of Covid .
Going to take 10 years to catch up now
Personally I support both systems but when you get the run around for 8 years you get to the point where you decide to say **** it lets spend our savings and get it dealt with.
Old 11-13-2023, 04:26 PM

So here's how it works. If you live in Alberta and need a surgery that the province covers then you can't be charged for that by the surgeon. However if you live in Alberta and want to pay out of pocket you can go to Ontario and pay for that surgery. The reverse is also true, the patient in Ontario cannot pay for a surgery that the province covers, but he can go to Alberta and pay for that surgery in a private clinic. Its a loophole in Medicare.
The end result is the surgeons in Alberta and Ontario refer to each other the patients that are prepared to pay out of pocket. The surgeons do them in the private clinic and its way more lucrative for them financially then doing the same surgery for an Alberta resident that gets paid for by Alberta Health.
So the private clinic referral from Ontario gets bumped to the top of the list because it pays better, while the Alberta resident waits behind the Ontario resident for the Alberta surgeon.
The government turns a blind eye because every surgery sent out of province is 1 more they don't have to pay for, so it works for everybody, except the resident who can't pay and is on the waiting list. Surgeon gets top dollar and the province doesn't have to pay anything.
And thats how a dual system screws the guy who can't pay.
Old 11-13-2023, 08:42 PM

When I was having knee issues earlier this year I looked into it and there are clinics in Calgary where you do all your pre-op work, fly to Vancouver or Montreal and the surgeon who did your pre-op flys out as well and does the surgery in a private clinic, then you fly home and see the same surgeon for post-op follow up.
Old 11-13-2023, 10:24 PM

Default CMQ in Bucerias

My Mother in Law had her knee replaced in Bucerias Mexico. All went well. Check out the CMQ hospital in Bucerias. Dr. Del Toro.
Mike