Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 07-11-2023, 07:25 PM

Default Help Cleaning Brass with Steel Pins

I am having an issue cleaning brass that I can't seem to resolve. I am using a rock tumbler with 5 pounds of steel pins. I usually put in a teaspoon of dawn dish soap and squirt of Lemi Shine (I can't seem to get the powdered version anymore). I can tumble for 1 hour or 2 hours which seems long and the brass comes out a dull grey color. I literally have to take a heavy duty paper towel to RUB the residue off. I usually use a mixture of Lanolin and Alcohol to lube cases, but I usually wipe this off after sizing. I tried cleaning my steel pins today, but that didn't seem to make a difference. Any suggestions on what might be going wrong?
Those who are willing to surrender their freedom for security have always demanded that if they give up their full freedom it should also be taken from those not prepared to do so. - Frederick Hayek (The Road to Surfdom)
Old 07-11-2023, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnar View Post
I am having an issue cleaning brass that I can't seem to resolve. I am using a rock tumbler with 5 pounds of steel pins. I usually put in a teaspoon of dawn dish soap and squirt of Lemi Shine (I can't seem to get the powdered version anymore). I can tumble for 1 hour or 2 hours which seems long and the brass comes out a dull grey color. I literally have to take a heavy duty paper towel to RUB the residue off. I usually use a mixture of Lanolin and Alcohol to lube cases, but I usually wipe this off after sizing. I tried cleaning my steel pins today, but that didn't seem to make a difference. Any suggestions on what might be going wrong?

Maybe try reducing things, skip the lemi shine, cut back on the soap. Could it be the lining of the tumbler shedding or reacting? Never tried the liquid version of lemi shine, just the powdered ( available any CT). Or actual powdered citric acid. A tumbler with just pins should do a decent job on its own, the additives just enhance the mechanical polish. Just guesses.
Old 07-11-2023, 09:18 PM

Really sounds like a reaction with the material of your tumbler drum. Some rubbers, or whatever it is, in rock tumblers react with soaps.
Also, I have found laundry soap ( Tide crystals) work better than Dawn.
Plus the Lemishine could be reacting. As above, I've never used the liquid. I also use powdered citric acid (from Amazon)......
Old 07-11-2023, 09:25 PM

I had unsatisfactory results when I first started cleaning with SS pins, so I Googled a bunch of US reloading forums. Don’t use Dawn or Lemi shine. I have been using about a tablespoon or two of Blue Coral car wash/wax liquid and get very shiny cases which stay shiny for months. I tumble for about three hours. The Lemi shine ( Citric acid) will cause a dull finish and your cases will oxidize quickly in air because they’re cleaned down to bare metal. The soap portion of the car wash liquid cleans well and the wax additives (no need to remove them) will protect your brass from tarnishing.
Old 07-11-2023, 09:32 PM

I have the Lyman rotary with steel pins, and use a couple drops of Sunlight, and powdered lemi shine (one 9x19 case full), and Brita filtered town water. I run one pass with the soap/ lemi shine, and one tumble rinse with just water. No issues so far.
Old 07-11-2023, 09:43 PM

I have had no issues using Dawn and Lemishine, just use both sparingly.
Old 07-11-2023, 09:59 PM

The smallest squirt of dawn and lemi shine is all you need.

When I first started SS tumbling I used too much and had the exact same thing. Now I have nice and shiny brass every time.
Old 07-12-2023, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewster29 View Post
I had unsatisfactory results when I first started cleaning with SS pins, so I Googled a bunch of US reloading forums. Don’t use Dawn or Lemi shine. I have been using about a tablespoon or two of Blue Coral car wash/wax liquid and get very shiny cases which stay shiny for months. I tumble for about three hours. The Lemi shine ( Citric acid) will cause a dull finish and your cases will oxidize quickly in air because they’re cleaned down to bare metal. The soap portion of the car wash liquid cleans well and the wax additives (no need to remove them) will protect your brass from tarnishing.
Does the wax cause any problems if you anneal after cleaning?
Those who are willing to surrender their freedom for security have always demanded that if they give up their full freedom it should also be taken from those not prepared to do so. - Frederick Hayek (The Road to Surfdom)
Old 07-12-2023, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnar View Post
Does the wax cause any problems if you anneal after cleaning?
I have not had any problems with the wax as the amount is so minuscule it’s not noticeable.