Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 11-22-2021, 05:05 PM

Default please be patient

this is so unnecessary, its still too early in my mind. man goes through the ice at emerson lake and loses his life in hospital a short time later. please be careful and patient.

https://calgary.citynews.ca/2021/11/...DKKH9hVtkzuzy4
Old 11-22-2021, 05:26 PM

Oh, man, that's terrible. Condolences to the friends and family of the victim.

Thanks for the reminder to be patient, TLA.
Old 11-22-2021, 06:00 PM

And they managed to respond quickly too. Unfortunate for sure...
Old 11-22-2021, 06:16 PM

Very sad to hear.
Old 11-22-2021, 06:18 PM

Oh no, sorry to hear. Condolences to family and friends lots of snow here around edson. Lakes barely froze over maybe 4 or 5 days before the big dump. Can't be more than 3 or 4 inches at the best, with this warm weather and the moisture in that first big dump its gonna get messy.
Old 11-22-2021, 09:09 PM

Think it's insane the amount of ice fishing pictures I see posted already on facebook. Makes people not use their heads.
Old 11-23-2021, 11:07 AM

Wonder if it was Huyfishing? He'll be the next one we read about.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 11-23-2021, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
Wonder if it was Huyfishing? He'll be the next one we read about.

I’m still here.

My condolences to the family

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

YouTube:@huyfishin Fishing Videos!

Respect wildlife
Old 11-23-2021, 07:43 PM

good lord another one but in Saskatchewan man in his 40s goes through the ice in his snowmobile and another life is lost.
https://www.canadapolicereport.ca/20...B53fnTXkjuZJEA
Old 11-23-2021, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the local angler View Post
good lord another one but in Saskatchewan man in his 40s goes through the ice in his snowmobile and another life is lost.
https://www.canadapolicereport.ca/20...B53fnTXkjuZJEA
I'm not sure this one has anything to do with ice fishing. You have to wonder WTF people are thinking sometimes.
Old 11-23-2021, 09:11 PM

Ice thickness is something we all need to learn more about.

My condolences to the families who've lost loved ones... God knows how many of us have pushed our luck and lived to tell the tale. I for one have had a thin ice experience for late fall perch that I care not to repeat.

I think about how we can all learn about what is safe ice exactly... perhaps it's no ice fishing until a set date ... problems abound with that idea... regionally challenging ... naturally fluctuating seasons... Can the government inform without liability? I think not.

Here's a result from a quick Google search that I find reasonable for myself. You be the judge but by all means, please be careful. There's not a fish in any lake worth the lives of any of us! Our families would agree without hesitation!

https://www.outdoorcanada.ca/ice-fis...e-for-fishing/
Old 11-24-2021, 03:36 PM

so sad...a guy went through by Canmore last weekend, but was able to get out and get to shore thankfully.

There are so many good videos about how to handle early ice...people really need to watch the Schick, Siemens and Wiebe videos about handling early ice.

Personally, I want 6" to walk on and a good foot before I'd drive on anywhere. And even then, you really have to "know" the body of water and where the tricky spots are.
Old 11-24-2021, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppa View Post
so sad...a guy went through by Canmore last weekend, but was able to get out and get to shore thankfully.
I bet a fair number of people will go through the ice early this season. Most we won't hear about if they make it out.

Quote:
There are so many good videos about how to handle early ice...people really need to watch the Schick, Siemens and Wiebe videos about handling early ice.
Meh. Jay just released a video fishing brookies with a friend. His friend caught a nice brookie and went tearing out across the ice into deep water jumping around and sliding on his back like a fool...there wasn't more than 3" of ice on that lake...they're lucky it was clear ice. Clayton sends viewers to watch a video Aaron made back in 2013. Aaron walked a mile out into the middle of a big lake last year during the first week of November and then fell in and by his own admission was lucky to get out. I'm sorry but these guys are part of the problem, not part of the solution. It's fine to tell people how to be safe and record videos with ice picks around your neck. But when people making a living doing this make bad decisions and then the lemmings start viewing it, bad things can happen.

Quote:
Personally, I want 6" to walk on and a good foot before I'd drive on anywhere. And even then, you really have to "know" the body of water and where the tricky spots are.
Is that 6" of good clear ice, or is it cloudy/candled? Is there snow on top? How long has it been there? What's the weather been like recently? Are you out alone? If you're with others how far spaced out are you?

People get hung up on ice thickness. I've been out on 2.5" of clear ice without a crack heard all day. And I've had a friend break through 26" of candled ice last March in his General. It's just one factor you should consider before heading out into deep water. Stay safe.
Old 11-24-2021, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot Stomper View Post
I think about how we can all learn about what is safe ice exactly... perhaps it's no ice fishing until a set date ... problems abound with that idea... regionally challenging ... naturally fluctuating seasons... Can the government inform without liability? I think not.
For the love of God *DO NOT* let the government get more involved with this hobby. We already have the ACA fencing off half the lake anywhere they have aerators installed. If the government has it's way, all the lakes will be closed all winter just to keep Darwin's failures safe.
Old 11-24-2021, 04:53 PM

yeah i know it wasn't ice fishing related but i just thought the whole issue of ice safety venturing out on the ice regardless of the sport applied. i have had a few close encounters myself too ice fishing lake whites early season years ago. 4 inches of solid ice so i felt safe punched a hole and fished for a few hours and never even noticed the ice thickness was deuterating as the day went on. then one sudden move and the hole in the ice was no longer a hole shaped as a big chunk broke off and i dam near **** my self and slowly slide all my gear towards shore and grabbed onto the rope i had running to the bumper of my truck and onto the ice and made my way back to shore. i was only like 10 -15 feet out from shore but still it was a drop off and knew it was about 20 ish foot deep there.
Old 11-24-2021, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the local angler View Post
yeah i know it wasn't ice fishing related but i just thought the whole issue of ice safety venturing out on the ice regardless of the sport applied.
I think it's still good to bring it up. You definitely shouldn't be on the ice on a machine anywhere in this province yet. Maybe this guy just picked up his new Ski Doo at Pines Power Sports in PA, and excitement got the better of him.

Quote:
i have had a few close encounters myself too ice fishing lake whites early season years ago. 4 inches of solid ice so i felt safe punched a hole and fished for a few hours and never even noticed the ice thickness was deuterating as the day went on. then one sudden move and the hole in the ice was no longer a hole shaped as a big chunk broke off and i dam near **** my self and slowly slide all my gear towards shore and grabbed onto the rope i had running to the bumper of my truck and onto the ice and made my way back to shore. i was only like 10 -15 feet out from shore but still it was a drop off and knew it was about 20 ish foot deep there.
I don't think people understand what's going on at early ice. When you punch a hole and it's warm and sunny outside, the water in the hole starts heating up and melting the ice. If you run an Ice Defender Pro, you've seen this happen all the time. Now plunk a couple hundred pounds nearby (ie. - you) and the ice starts sagging and the melting increases. Next thing you have a repeat of your experience. I had the same thing happen to me a couple of weeks ago, but I understood what was going on and moved before it got too sketchy....five feet away and all was good. I've used my elite artistic skills to create a visual...

There. Now we're all a bit smarter. Stay Safe!
Old 11-25-2021, 12:10 PM

All I know is going into freezing water and self rescuing isn’t easy.
I had my one event early in life and I’m in no rush to do it again. I was very lucky to get out.