Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-27-2020, 02:36 PM

Default Abraham Lake Fishing

Good afternoon!

I'm heading out to Abraham lake this weekend for some camping. I have a Canoe with a small trolling motor but after reading a few other forums about Abraham it sounds like it can be a pretty dangerous lake out in the open water if you don't have a big enough boat (wind, storms, etc). So I'm probably going to just use the canoe close to shore.

My question is if anyone has had success fishing from shore? I've got a pair of waders I can pack with me.
I know it's pretty early in the season and I'm not an avid fisherman but I just enjoy being out fishing!

Thanks in advance!
Old 05-27-2020, 04:05 PM

Try trolling silver or white spoons and rapalas in the sheltered bays (i.e. all stones) would be a good way to start. If you see fish rising, key in on those areas with either small soft plastics or a chironomid fly. There are lots of smaller fish in there so if I were you I’d use a lighter setup with smaller hooks! Good luck!

Edit: yes be careful out there. I’ve seen it go from glass clear to 3’ waves In a matter of 30 minutes (especially from morning to midday). If the lake is calm, it might be too good to be true - so I would caution anyone from venturing too far out.
Old 05-28-2020, 02:25 PM

Thanks for the tips! Much appreciated.

Anyone else have any experience casting from shore on this lake ?
Old 05-28-2020, 06:41 PM

its been a few years but yes , there were lots areas that we have caught fish from the very edge ( shore ) . we had the best luck by all stone creek and there was an island about 50 yds out .
Old 05-29-2020, 09:56 PM

Fishing from shore the best producer for me in summer is just a simple white single curly tail jig bounced along the bottom. I get the cheapest bodies and heads I can find for this and bring extra line because you will lose a lot of them in the rocks, however you can have some pretty good days when you find them. The incoming tribs like the Cline or Allstones are usually good but if you spend some time just randomly hitting spots you can find some as well. The ticket is to keep moving until you find a bunch. I don't know why they group up in certain spots on a certain day but they do and you could hit the same spot the next day with nothing.
Old 05-29-2020, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OL_JR View Post
Fishing from shore the best producer for me in summer is just a simple white single curly tail jig bounced along the bottom. I get the cheapest bodies and heads I can find for this and bring extra line because you will lose a lot of them in the rocks, however you can have some pretty good days when you find them. The incoming tribs like the Cline or Allstones are usually good but if you spend some time just randomly hitting spots you can find some as well. The ticket is to keep moving until you find a bunch. I don't know why they group up in certain spots on a certain day but they do and you could hit the same spot the next day with nothing.
Just curious, when you talk about throwing jigs for this type of fishing how big are you talking? Little 2" twisters on 1/16 heads, or bigger? Never really fished jigs for trout very much, but I'd planned on giving it a shot this year.
Old 05-30-2020, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushleague View Post
Just curious, when you talk about throwing jigs for this type of fishing how big are you talking? Little 2" twisters on 1/16 heads, or bigger? Never really fished jigs for trout very much, but I'd planned on giving it a shot this year.
For Abraham I go a bit bigger with 3" or a little bigger tails and 1/8 oz jig heads with no issue throwing on up to 3/8oz if it's breezy or im running out. Most of the lakers are small but they still act like lake trout and will readily eat something a little more beefy.

To the OP just a reminder to be careful if you plan to keep some trout as the lakers can look similar to the bulls. Once you get a couple of each and get familiar with them it's pretty easy to tell.

Tags
abraham, fishing, lake, waders