Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-17-2018, 11:18 AM

Weber all the way.
Old 03-17-2018, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacation View Post
I'm Happy with my Broil King Sovereign. Seemed to beat value. Good heat, side burner.
Second that. I have a Sovereign - grabbed it years ago for $600 + free shipping on Amazon.ca - and it's still serving me well. Broil King is great bang for your buck.
Old 03-17-2018, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homesteader View Post
Weber Genesis II in whatever size works for you. Don’t know why I waited so long. Love it!!
I just picked up the 2 burner version the other day because of your recommendation. I asked the cashier how heavy it was, and she replied "142 pounds". I almost had a hernia right in the store! Did you have a fork lift deliver yours?
Old 03-17-2018, 02:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bull View Post
I just picked up the 2 burner version the other day because of your recommendation. I asked the cashier how heavy it was, and she replied "142 pounds". I almost had a hernia right in the store! Did you have a fork lift deliver yours?
They are heavy, but they are worth it. The only problem I have with my Weber BBQ is that I waited so long to buy one. Totally changed my BBQ experience. Now I feel like a master chef!
Old 03-17-2018, 03:23 PM

Lynx grill. Buy it once, buy it for life.
Old 03-17-2018, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGB View Post
But I can burn up 3 or 4 Broil King Regal for the price of one Lynx. I doubt anyone is living that long.
Old 03-17-2018, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bull View Post
They are solid. I think mine was like 175 or something stupid. Hope you enjoy it. You get her seasoned up, and we’ll stop in for testing
Old 03-17-2018, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCLightning View Post
But I can burn up 3 or 4 Broil King Regal for the price of one Lynx. I doubt anyone is living that long.
It’s not only about price but also performance. Lynx has incredible quality of their product but also an unmatched performance. If you won’t wear it out in your lifetime - your kids will thank you also!
Old 03-17-2018, 10:48 PM

Quote:
It’s not only about price but also performance. Lynx has incredible quality of their product but also an unmatched performance. If you won’t wear it out in your lifetime - your kids will thank you also!
Buddy of mine has a Lynx Pro series grill. I have cooked on it and been there when he has cooked on it. The steaks, burgers and vegetables were not $5000 better than the ones coming off the Broil King - actually indistinguishable.
Old 03-17-2018, 11:56 PM

I'm another Broil King fan. We bought one about 4 years ago and use it year round. Ours is NG, Charcoal and pellets are great but nothings nicer than sending the wife outside to take the cover off and fire it up to preheat it before cooking! Plus not having to worry about running out of propane or briquettes is nice too. I hate having to send the wife to get more propane.
Old 03-18-2018, 09:14 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCLightning View Post
Buddy of mine has a Lynx Pro series grill. I have cooked on it and been there when he has cooked on it. The steaks, burgers and vegetables were not $5000 better than the ones coming off the Broil King - actually indistinguishable.
The bullet that comes out of a cooper doesnt kill any different than one that come out of that ugly crappy Remington kit gun either but you can buy 8 of the Remington’s for the price of the cooper and lots of people buy the remingtons and a few of the distinguished by the coopers.
Old 03-18-2018, 09:16 AM

Broil King still going strong after 24 years. Have replaced burners, grates, igniter a couple of times but she does the job and a helleva lot cheaper than spending more money on a BBQ than I would for a kitchen stove.
Old 03-18-2018, 09:20 AM
Banned

Quote:
They are a nice bbq for sure. I would have bought one if they would have had it in stock, Im kinda into the instant gratification thing and hate waiting. Plus Trail had a Father’s Day sale on a Napoleon 825 for 1800.00 off retail,,,,, and i could take it right then and it was built,,,,,,I hate building BBQ’s
Old 03-18-2018, 09:45 AM

Save some money.Buy a $50 used BBQ and take cooking classes with the other $950

The world is wholly bent on replacing skill and dedication to a craft with things
Old 03-18-2018, 09:47 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by omega50 View Post
Lol,,,,valid!!!
Old 03-18-2018, 12:35 PM

I have a Broil King NG that is `10 years old, gets used 3 or 4 times a week, year round. I like it better than the Weber I had previously as it gets hotter, which really makes a difference at -10--30, and does rotisserie better. I also have a Hibachi that stores in the Broil King's storage area and fits on top of the Broil King Grates for use.

The NG is convenient, especially in the winter, but you still can't beat the flavour of meat cooked over real wood or chunk Charcoal. For flavour real wood still rules.
Old 03-18-2018, 01:46 PM

I bought a Napoleon Triumph about 4 years ago from Costco. It's been the best barbecue I've owned hands down. their customer service is fantastic and their warranties exceptional. You can call them and get a part you need with no problems at all. I live in Prince Rupert right by the coast so a few of my parts deteriorate over time, all you got to do is call them up and they're more than happy to give you a major discount to replace the items. Great Canadian company great barbecue
Old 03-18-2018, 02:04 PM

I've been running a NG Broil king Baron for the past 4 years it's been the best BBQ for all kinds of BBQing. Some things to look for are stainless removable grills, high output side burner 15,000 btu or so and good quality stainless burners. Parts are easy to get although I haven't had to order anything yet. I prefer NG for long slow rotisserie cooks and its cheaper in the long run cost was $175 for the hookup or about 8 tanks of propane NG is cheaper.

Turkey last Easter took 3 hrs. with an amazen smoker tube for apple smoke

Come on summer!
Old 03-18-2018, 02:27 PM

Quote:

The world is wholly bent on replacing skill and dedication to a craft with things
If that "craftsman's cooking class" is able to change the heat recovery time of your $50 BBQ and ignore the properties of science and make is as good as my more expensive (and more thermally efficient) BBQ - then sign me up.

A cheap thin wire grate and lava rocks on a cheap BBQ are going to cool off quickly and take longer to recover every-time you open the lid to flip your food. It also flares up and destroys your dinner more often that it would mine.

The reason so many quality BBQ weigh so much is they use thick cast iron grates, some with heavy castings and heavy steel to dissipate the flame, hold heat and act to drastically reduce flare ups and grill fires - so there is no comparison here.

I'd totally disagree.

My results went from good to excellent just by improving the tool I use.

Last edited by EZM; 03-18-2018 at 02:33 PM.
Old 03-18-2018, 02:39 PM

I do a lot of bbqing ,some things I noticed with my higher end bbq. Pull out tray under the burners to catch all the grease. Comes apart in layers so cleaning is easy. 4 burners so you can keep the middle two off when using the rotisserie.light is real nice.

I purchased a Bull bbq a few years ago. Was on sale at Golden Acres for same price as the top Napoleon. Side by side they look similar but take it all apart to clean and You’ll notice the difference just by the weight of all the parts.

Whatever you buy make a spot where you can add a cabinet or two. Build it in to make the whole experience just that much nicer.
Old 03-18-2018, 02:45 PM

Quote:

Like this:

http://bbqclass.ca/products-page/calgary/
Old 03-19-2018, 12:12 AM
Banned

Pretty happy with my Weber genisis, although I hear napoleons are better, I can cook a perfect steak so, whatever man.........
Old 03-19-2018, 07:02 AM

Really like my Primo Oval XL. Takes some getting used to but works great no matter on outside temperature. Everything from smoked salmon, and Brisket on low temps, to 700 degrees cooking pizza.
Old 03-19-2018, 08:17 AM

I see some Napoleons available with reward miles at Air Miles

Prestige Pro 500 with Infra red side and rear burners in propane on special for 23,333 points

On a side note I met a guy at a block party last summer that assembles BBQ's on site at various retailers.

He goes in and knocks out a lot of BBQ's in a very short time.

He goes in fast and hard like a pit crew at a Indy Race. No wasted movements. Cordless tools on his hip.

Cheaper for retailers in the long run to hire him then to let their in house staff struggle for hours to assemble one.

His personal BBQ is a Napoleon, but he lacks the skill to use it to it's full potential.

Last edited by omega50; 03-19-2018 at 08:44 AM.
Old 03-19-2018, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xbolt7mm View Post
Napoleon is a great canadian made product that stands the test of time. I had one on my back deck at home for 8 years and replaced it with a Napoleon pro 825 and highly recomend it if you have the room as its a large bbq. The napoleon we had before was converted back to propane and now sits at the lake. It is now 11 years old and all I have done to it was clean the burner holes out as food crust plugged some off and created hot spots, good as new when done. They even give you the right drill bit when you buy it. They each have a steak infrared searing station. The older is a side one and the 825 is an actual separate entire attached lid. The side one on the older model can also be used for pots and is highly recommended instead of just a side pot burner, good luck as there are a ton of choices. I will only buy the napoleon because of the success ive had previously. Ive been tempted by some Webber’s once or twice but went back to Napoleon
X2 on the Napoleon.
I bbq all year long, doesn't matter the weather and it works flawlessly. You sure notice the difference between a cheap Walmart model and one you spend some money on. I think it's just like "which truck is the best" argument as everyone has their opinion on what works for them. Go to BBQ Country and look at all of them side by side and pick the one that appeals to you the best. In my experience there they have great customer service.

BH

Old 03-19-2018, 11:58 AM

Default Bbq

I bought an electric awhile ago and it fits my needs perfect. I forget the brand but it heats up quick but maybe not as hot as other ones. The element swivels to change heating position. Maybe a little harder to clean but all in all it is perfect for the two of us.
Old 03-19-2018, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Weber Genesis II in whatever size works for you. Don’t know why I waited so long. Love it!!
x2....Bought a broil king when we moved into our new house. Ended up buying a cabin in Montana and we bought the Weber and was amazed....

Threw my newer BK away and bought the Weber Genius and love it. My only concern is I would rather run it on propane (burns hotter) than my current gas hook up at home.
Old 03-19-2018, 04:58 PM

With the Canadian dollar Napoleon is best. However my preference is to Weber.

Had my first one for 14 years then needed a new burner. Replaced it myself along with lighter. Now just need the heat defectors after 18 years. Solid unit. I have the Summit. Never used the smoker nor the burner nor the rotisserie. I should though.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 03-22-2018, 09:08 PM
Banned

Looks like it will be a Napoleon Prestige Pro 500.

Thanks for the opinions.
Old 03-27-2018, 05:51 AM

Quote:
They seem decent for a Chinese Grill, but the price does not seem to reflect the origin

Last edited by omega50; 03-27-2018 at 06:04 AM.