Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-16-2018, 09:47 AM

Default Edmonton Boat and Sportsmen Show

I could not find a thread on the show so I thought I would start one.

I went last night and knew something was up when the parking lots were empty in comparison to previous years. Show is noticeably smaller than last year. Lots of room to walk down the aisle's with wide open spaces in most halls. I happen to be standing outside one the bathrooms where a number of exhibitors from the larger booths had gathered. All of them were talking about how poorly the show has been managed the last couple of years and the amount of exhibitors dropping out.

SO onto my rant. Previous years we could get into the NASP archery tournament that was held Boat and Sportsmen show for free. As a coach/parent volunteer we would bring our school in and every kid would get a ticket to go to the show afterwards. Not all kids/parents would go to the show and therefore would just leave afterwords. Not anymore, every parent/sibling needs to pay to get in to watch their child compete. What a sleazy/scumbag way to make money on a youth archery tournament that should be free to attend.

I have always enjoyed going to the show every year for as long as I can remember but the way Northlands is conducting business has ruined it for me.
Old 03-16-2018, 10:00 AM

Any hunting/fishing booths?
Old 03-16-2018, 10:11 AM

I waven’t went the last 2 previous years and this will mark year 3. Friends of mine were all saying that they are still trying to sell 2 year old models of boats etc. Just a sign of the times I guess...
Old 03-16-2018, 10:28 AM

I'm planning on going with my boys tomorrow morning. We have been noticing a decline in the show quality as well, but I sure do enjoy chatting with the various exhibitors and entering as many raffles as I can.
Old 03-16-2018, 10:30 AM

Its not a Northlands issue. They just host the thing. Its the managing company that organizes all the shows, a lady that works here did part time coat checks etc there. Her hubby still does security part time. They used to get me all kinds of free passes for all the shows. But one day a new head of the organizing company decided enough is enough. Total chit show since. higher prices for the exhibitors, less freedom for displays, fewer perks for exhibitors (parking, passes etc) on and on. It's no wonder exhibitors dropped out. Even my competitors that were regulars at the home shows aren't going now.
Old 03-16-2018, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nast70 View Post
Its not a Northlands issue. They just host the thing. Its the managing company that organizes all the shows, a lady that works here did part time coat checks etc there. Her hubby still does security part time. They used to get me all kinds of free passes for all the shows. But one day a new head of the organizing company decided enough is enough. Total chit show since. higher prices for the exhibitors, less freedom for displays, fewer perks for exhibitors (parking, passes etc) on and on. It's no wonder exhibitors dropped out. Even my competitors that were regulars at the home shows aren't going now.
Good to know. Thanks.
Old 03-16-2018, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lund17 View Post
I have always enjoyed going to the show every year for as long as I can remember but the way Northlands is conducting business has ruined it for me.
Pretty sure Northlands Just rents the space. The Edmonton show is managed out of Calgary.

https://www.edmontonboatandsportshow.ca/en/contact-us
Old 03-16-2018, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Buffalo View Post
I'm planning on going with my boys tomorrow morning. We have been noticing a decline in the show quality as well, but I sure do enjoy chatting with the various exhibitors and entering as many raffles as I can.
Same here. Going in the am.

I go, see the same old thing. By tickets on quads etc. Hope for U way deals lol. Don't need anymore ice fishing rod combos either.

If they didn't have boats it would be a small show.
Old 03-16-2018, 11:01 AM

Are there any decent deals to be had or is it still the usual 10% off?

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 03-16-2018, 11:04 AM

I stopped going when it cost me a pile to park, then a pile more to get in and walked around and most booths were not hunting related. Kinda hard to justify a family of 6 spending what it costs when I can take them and do so much more with that money. I wasn't getting my bang for the buck I guess.
Only reason I would go today is to listen to Rich Mellon talking about Trapping. I would find that way more entertaining than listening to TJ all day long.....
Old 03-16-2018, 11:17 AM

The Red Deer one is dying a slow death as well. They just have to keep squeezing until the consumer and vendor had enough. I gave up years ago but those that attended told me they had better times at garage sales.
Old 03-16-2018, 11:43 AM

Thumbs down

*sigh

Good to know.

I was planning on coming today for a while, I was quite disappointed in last years show, was thinking surely they made it better this year.

I just can't see the point in paying $0.00 - whatever to park plus $15.00 to get in the door to look at stuff marked higher than retail to cover their cost of the show.

On a side note, Cabela's is having what appears to be a big sale with a midnight madness sale as well.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 03-16-2018, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
*sigh

Good to know.

I was planning on coming today for a while, I was quite disappointed in last years show, was thinking surely they made it better this year.

I just can't see the point in paying $0.00 - whatever to park plus $15.00 to get in the door to look at stuff marked higher than retail to cover their cost of the show.

On a side note, Cabela's is having what appears to be a big sale with a midnight madness sale as well.
I think it costs more to park than it does to get in even Ken lol I think it was $20 and that was years ago
Old 03-16-2018, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
I think it costs more to park than it does to get in even Ken lol I think it was $20 and that was years ago
Holy carp!

I must have blocked that painful memory from last year lol

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 03-16-2018, 12:05 PM

$15 a head and $15 to park, nope!
Old 03-16-2018, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostguy6 View Post
Are there any decent deals to be had or is it still the usual 10% off?
I did not really look but did stop at the NANUK Booth and look at their gun cases. After reading the recent article on the cases decided to get one. 30% off on the large ones, and 50% off their pistol cases.
Old 03-16-2018, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by does it ALL outdoors View Post
$15 a head and $15 to park, nope!
Yeah but you save 5% on something you didn’t intend on buying in the first place.
Old 03-16-2018, 12:53 PM

As an Outdoorsman , this show offers little more than Boats and more Boats with a few quads inbetween . Not to mention the ridiculous parking prices . I was fortunate to attend Hunter Expo at the Salt Lake City Convention Center in February . Sorry I have now been spoiled forever
Attached Images
File Type: jpg F165213A-2B32-453E-B36C-7C7DA4ECDCA3.jpg (36.2 KB, 115 views)
Old 03-16-2018, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post

I’ve planned to check that out tonight after I drop the kids off for their activity!
Old 03-16-2018, 02:04 PM

I’m heading there tomorrow. Never been to it myself.

If you buy tickets online and use promo code “Lucky” and it will cost you $11 to get in.

Black x-bolt jacket with a camo RSC ball cap on. Say hi if you see me.
Old 03-16-2018, 03:24 PM

Going Saturday as well. It's either that or help clean the house.

11 bucks ticket fish'n hole
6 bucks or so for LRT tickets - cuts out some of the pain in going.
Old 03-16-2018, 04:46 PM

Me thinks there's too much bellyaching! I was there yesterday and thoroughly enjoyed myself, if anything there was too many booths! If you don't like the parking Park in the adjoining neighborhood, if you're far enough away you can do so legally.

As far as buying things I didn't buy a whole lot but that wasn't the point of going anyways.
Old 03-16-2018, 06:11 PM

I went on the opening day. It definitely wasn't anything special. I was surprised at how many hair product booths there was. I mean I guess you might want your hair to look good for pictures with that big fish you just caught. lol
There wasn't as much hunting booths as I would have liked. I didn't see any bows on display.

Now I look around and wonder if I like them!
Old 03-16-2018, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldog Edm View Post
I went on the opening day. It definitely wasn't anything special. I was surprised at how many hair product booths there was. I mean I guess you might want your hair to look good for pictures with that big fish you just caught. lol
There wasn't as much hunting booths as I would have liked. I didn't see any bows on display.
Hair product???? How did i miss that?
What a perfect reason to get my friend to go

“Yes, there is fishing and hunting stuff, but hun they also have hair products!”

“They do?”

“I heard it on AO so its gotta be true”
Old 03-16-2018, 06:22 PM

I went last night and was surprised to see that you can now get marijuana seeds and THC edibles at the show!
Old 03-16-2018, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bull View Post
I went last night and was surprised to see that you can now get marijuana seeds and THC edibles at the show!
How much for a bushel of pot seeds and how many lbs to the acre do you have to seed it?
Old 03-16-2018, 06:59 PM

Default No pipeline No fishing

I was there this Friday afternoon and I asked a few people that were promoting their BC fishing lodges why should I go to their lodges while they (those from BC) are acting like d-heads over an oil pipeline expansion.

Of course, I was told it wasn't them but isn't this the only answer they can give to get some of Albertan's money going their way.

I will no be going to BC for some time.
Old 03-17-2018, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timsesink View Post
Me thinks there's too much bellyaching! I was there yesterday and thoroughly enjoyed myself, if anything there was too many booths! If you don't like the parking Park in the adjoining neighborhood, if you're far enough away you can do so legally.

As far as buying things I didn't buy a whole lot but that wasn't the point of going anyways.
You are right for my prior post I re read it and I did sound a bit negative which was not my intention. The pain I was referring to was it can be less expensive and don’t need to pay full price for ticket and parking. I look forward to it every year and always come away with something. Some good shows for fly fishing and maybe bump into the Geeks. I won’t be disappointed.
Old 03-17-2018, 09:24 AM

I went last night in hopes of finding my father inlaw a crossbow but I couldn’t find much.
Old 03-17-2018, 03:48 PM

Spent about five hours there. I thought it was good show. No screaming deals but lots to see. The dog show was a big attraction. Got to meet the Geeks and take some pics... all in all I enjoyed it.