Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 03-09-2018, 09:43 AM

Default what would you do, archery shop sells you wrong handed bow, twice.

A friend of mine here in cochrane, just realized he is left eye dominant, a week after buying a high end bow from a reputable bow shop. (I am intentionally being vague)

When I met him he had already had a bow he bought from them but he didn't really shoot, I got him back into it in January, he found he was a natural but his bow was about 5 years old, so he went back to buy the newest a greatest thing on the market.

He has been having trouble with it and after doing a you tube search this morning, on setting up the bow realized they missed a step with him, the eye dominance test.

What you would do in his situation? Should he have done his homework about that before buying?
Old 03-09-2018, 09:51 AM

First bow, I’d say the shop messed up. But that was five years ago and the time to address it with them was also five years ago. Second bow, that’s on your friend. Should have figured it out. “Didn’t really shoot” for 5 years, isn’t the shops problem. Walk in and ask for a right handed bow, can’t complain when they sell him one.
Old 03-09-2018, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3blade View Post
First bow, I’d say the shop messed up. But that was five years ago and the time to address it with them was also five years ago. Second bow, that’s on your friend. Should have figured it out. “Didn’t really shoot” for 5 years, isn’t the shops problem. Walk in and ask for a right handed bow, can’t complain when they sell him one.
Yep!!!
Old 03-09-2018, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3blade View Post
Fair enough.
Can’t blame them for that.
Old 03-09-2018, 11:07 AM

PM sent
Old 03-09-2018, 01:56 PM

Two schools of thought, if I did an eye dominance test I would walk out with a RH bow every single time.

I am so predominantly left handed I shoot left handed bows, with both eyes open. Always have and always will.

So your friend could shoot a left hand bow with right eye dominance but it takes work.

The common thought amongst archery shops is to set up a shooter according to eye because that is the “correct” way.

LC
Old 03-09-2018, 02:22 PM

What kind of bow was it?
Old 03-09-2018, 02:25 PM

Default Go full Pirate

He could wear a patch over his dominant eye forcing him to use the other until it syncs up. You can use both, If that doesn't work, sell it and buy a lefty. I shoot a bow right but need to shoot a sling shot left. Rifle right, That's just the way it works for me. I also shoot pool right, bat left throw right, hockey stick left, Golf left. I'm 10 year older than my brother and he's the exact same as me.
Old 03-15-2018, 07:06 PM

i am left eye dominant and shoot a right handed bow just close my eye and aim it like a rifle . shot gun is the same .
Old 03-22-2018, 04:48 PM

If he is a natural with his old bow he is still a natural. Turn off the internet.
Old 03-23-2018, 03:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petew View Post
If he is a natural with his old bow he is still a natural. Turn off the internet.
Sounds about right.
The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter.- Finn Aagard