Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-14-2018, 08:18 PM

Thumbs up New Wicked Tuna today

Same old drama from the oversized babies, if you turn the sound off it makes it tolerable to watch these beautiful fish get hauled in while we have 3' of snow.

So, who is coming out on top this year?

Dot Com is always a threat and I think he will win, of all the idiots I like his boat and crew the best, Geordie Dave and Sondro most always gel. What a boat!!

I can see the round boys having some strokes on the Hot Tuna, apparently dreadlocks lost 60lbs but I don't see it, I give them 2nd,

Brad on Fishhawk is a hell of a fisherman but his guy is green, I give him 3rd place,

I think old chain smoking bald boy is in trouble without Jay on the merch, 4th,

Dave on Wicked pizza will lose his mate Rick and have to start again, 5th

Pinhead doesn't have the open sores this year like a methhead but I still hate the punk, hope he comes in last, plus he is going to either get thrown off the boat or throw his best buddy Duff into the salt and have to go find another greenhorn

Watching this is doing nothing more than making me want to go fishing!!! I love the stupid show lol

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 03-14-2018, 08:51 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Like this show....like the tuna fishin!
Can't believe the size of these beasts and how they figure the price per pound is another hit and miss at the dock...

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 03-14-2018, 08:58 PM

I enjoy watching the battle to land those monsters, and would love to have a chance to do it some day....but I need to turn the sound off to watch it. The dialogue, and some of the characters are painful.

Looking forward to fishing in Florida. 30 more sleeps and two day charter.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 03-14-2018, 09:04 PM

Thumbs up

Over the rail, Into the pail, off to the dock to make the sale....we will see who has success this season...kinda like fishing for lakers

Old 03-14-2018, 09:32 PM

I watch the show on and off. Watched a bunch of episodes over the weekend and was entertained.

I'm guessing it will be more of the same with Pinwheel and TunaFV racing to the finish.

Dave is just bad Karma, and there were a few episodes I saw where his guys were putting meat on the deck without Dave on board - only to have Dave return and come up blank.

I do like what's his bald head smoking guy because he seems to legitimately want/need to feed his kids and give them a better life.

The Pinhead meth freaks are likely some kids with dad's money and boat who want to be on the show - but they seem to put in the time and hours out there to put meat on the deck.

Good entertainment anyways ...

I like this show, Gold Rush and Treasure digging one on that Island in Nova Scotia.
Old 03-14-2018, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
I watch the show on and off. Watched a bunch of episodes over the weekend and was entertained. I'm guessing it will be more of the same with Pinwheel and TunaFV racing to the finish. Dave is just bad Karma, and there were a few episodes I saw where his guys were putting meat on the deck without Dave on board - only to have Dave return and come up blank. I do like what's his bald head smoking guy because he seems to legitimately want/need to feed his kids and give them a better life.
The Pinhead meth freaks are likely some kids with dad's money and boat who want to be on the show - but they seem to put in the time and hours out there to put meat on the deck. Good entertainment anyways ...

I like this show, Gold Rush and Treasure digging one on that Island in Nova Scotia.
Bald- Dave Marciano on Hard Merch.
Pinhead- Tyler- a couple seasons ago he had big open sores on his face, gross

Gold rush- wow did Parker kick butt this year!!! Think the Dakota boys will find anything worthwhile?

I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 03-14-2018, 09:37 PM

Hey Ken.

I only very occasionally watch the show, but agree with your assessment.

I have a good buddy I grew up with that fishes them. This one is from a few years ago. Whole it weighed 989 lbs and dressed 784 lbs. Beautiful fish!

Tree

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-14-2018, 09:40 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeGuy View Post
Hey Ken.

I have a good buddy I grew up with that fishes them. This one is from a few years ago. Whole it weighed 989 lbs and dressed 784 lbs. Beautiful fish!

Tree

WOW that's crazy!!!

I would have to cut it into 2 to get it on my boat!! Rear door isn't big enough lol.

Hanging them by the tail always freaked me out, such a huge piece of meat being held by a tiny piece of meat. I always envisioned something snapping, and a $25,000 fish goes to the bottom

They said the big ones hit as high as 2000 lbs. CAN YOU IMAGINE???

Old 03-14-2018, 09:45 PM

Default New Wicked Tuna today

Yeah, it’s been awhile, but they used to dispatch the fish with a 12 gauge slug and just tow them in.

Not sure if anything has changed.

Old 03-14-2018, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
Bald- Dave Marciano on Hard Merch.
Pinhead- Tyler- a couple seasons ago he had big open sores on his face, gross

Gold rush- wow did Parker kick butt this year!!! Think the Dakota boys will find anything worthwhile?
Parker kept it simple - ran two plants steady, ran on proven ground, and ran tons and tons of dirt.

The thing about "glory holes" and trying to find a magic rainbow doesn't work any better than a lottery ticket. Hoffman the biggest clown in the world has proven that season after season but I think he is finally getting to realise you have to run dirt to make gold.

Unfortunately the Dakota boys will likely drown chasing one of those lottery tickets. Seems low% to me but is entertaining.

XXXX

I'd love to take a trip out to our left coast and catch a few of those smaller tuna we have out here - they must be an absolute blast. I've caught similar sized (smaller) tuna and swords off the coast of Croatia in the Adriatic (Mediterranean) and they pull like you wouldn't believe.

It does take a bigger boat and costs some time, patience and fuel to get out there, but once you get into them you seem to hook them up in strings and have a blast.
Old 03-14-2018, 09:58 PM

Quote:
WOW that's crazy!!!

They said the big ones hit as high as 2000 lbs. CAN YOU IMAGINE???

World record is 1497 lbs from Aulds Cove, NS. This fish is from a wharf very close to there.

Old 03-14-2018, 10:01 PM

I'd love to land a beast of a tuna like that! What a rush. I landed a nice striped marlin in Cabo a few years back, probably weighed about the same as that Tuna's head....

Don't get me wrong, 75 minutes landing a marlin is still fantastic...but....

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 03-14-2018, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Hey Ken.

Tree

Y
Where is that photo taken?
Old 03-14-2018, 10:04 PM

Well I am definately going back to LA in the fall, stay at San Pedro again, and launch out of San Diego, again.

I am going to do a 2-3 day on a party boat, the overnight trip was great but it left me wanting more.

You guys that go out into warm salt PLEASE bring back pics, video, stories whatever.

Tuna are an absolute blast to catch, I put 9 on the deck on one boil. I would do that every day for the rest of my life if possible.

Old 03-14-2018, 10:10 PM

Default New Wicked Tuna today

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendan's dad View Post
Where is that photo taken?

Ballantyne’s Cove, Antigonish, Nova Scotia.

Edit: OR Arisaig. Not sure 100% where he sails out of these days.

Old 03-15-2018, 05:59 AM

Quote:
World record is 1497 lbs from Aulds Cove, NS. This fish is from a wharf very close to there.

That's a lot of sangies.....hold the mayo please

Old 03-15-2018, 07:55 AM

Can not see much change from previous shows, reminds me of 22 minutes this week when guy does spoof on ice fishing, quite funny. However I do like fishing!
Old 03-17-2018, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
Can not see much change from previous shows, reminds me of 22 minutes this week when guy does spoof on ice fishing, quite funny. However I do like fishing!
Oh you must watch Cold Water Cowboys, now that's a bloody laugh....

Old 03-17-2018, 10:13 AM

Quote:

I fished Tuna out of Aulds Cove. Biggest one I caught was 1080, my buddy got one over 14 but just shy of the record.
Old 03-17-2018, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Well I am definately going back to LA in the fall, stay at San Pedro again, and launch out of San Diego, again.

I am going to do a 2-3 day on a party boat, the overnight trip was great but it left me wanting more.

You guys that go out into warm salt PLEASE bring back pics, video, stories whatever.

Tuna are an absolute blast to catch, I put 9 on the deck on one boil. I would do that every day for the rest of my life if possible.
How far out do you go out to fish these things? My brother-in-law goes off Vancouver Island but has to go out 40-50 miles? Way to far out for me, I'm a Prairie boy need to see land!
Old 03-17-2018, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcreg View Post
How far out do you go out to fish these things? My brother-in-law goes off Vancouver Island but has to go out 40-50 miles? Way to far out for me, I'm a Prairie boy need to see land!
We travelled all night to get into Mexican water. There was no land anywhere. It was a huge boat, and there were likely 30 more of them within a few miles of each other, all talking on the radios constantly. I would say we were doing 12-15kts so 80-120 miles out?

Old 03-17-2018, 12:06 PM

Quote:
We travelled all night to get into Mexican water. There was no land anywhere. It was a huge boat, and there were likely 30 more of them within a few miles of each other, all talking on the radios constantly. I would say we were doing 12-15kts so 80-120 miles out?
So much for that!
However, depending when you're going, I can line you (us) up for a pheasant hunt a couple hours out of San Deigo!
Old 03-17-2018, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcreg View Post
So much for that!
However, depending when you're going, I can line you (us) up for a pheasant hunt a couple hours out of San Deigo!
That is very cool, thank you for that. You really should try it though, that day was likely the most fun I ever had fishing, and it was damn cheap. The trip was only $210 for the overnight run. I am not hunting birds anymore or I would take you up on that.
I am a prairie boy too, but the experience hooked me for sure. I could go one day, get back to shore and load up for the next trip. I loved it.

Old 03-17-2018, 04:29 PM

While I haven't tried tuna fishing, I have tried salmon/halibut fishing 27 miles offhore and I always get sick! Even tried th patch and wrist band and althought they help I still don't enjoy it!