Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 04-08-2017, 06:07 PM

Default Castle Management Plan

I'm not sure if this was posted here yet but I just read it today and then went through the survey:

Blog:
http://oldmanwatershed.ca/blog-posts...ot-potato-ohvs

Survey:
https://talkaep.alberta.ca/CastleMan...FQ5EfgodnPQNFA

There are some really good things here. I thought the survey was very comprehensive and well done.

I encourage others to read it and then take the survey if so inclined.
Old 04-09-2017, 07:27 PM

Fees to ride and increase in licensing., and increase fishing lic costs? I don't think I agree with that.these left wing tree huggers don't care about what ohv uses or fisherman or hunters think.the question period has fallen on Def ears and will continue to. They will continue to come up with (scientific research ) that suits their agenda. This is the way these people work.
Old 04-10-2017, 10:28 PM

So that's one "no"
Old 04-11-2017, 12:16 PM

Whether you are a "yes" or a "no", sacrifice a bit of your time and fill out the survey. I suspect there are a fair number of folks on the various sub-forums here in both camps. There may be parts of the plan you agree with, or parts you wholeheartedly oppose... bottom line is you have 8 days left to put your opinion in. tic-tock, tick-tock.

For the record, I'm firmly on the "yes" side, and supportive of increasing license fees & OHV registration, particularly if that equals support for upping enforcement activities in the Castle and across AB.
Old 04-11-2017, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lead chucker View Post
Fees to ride and increase in licensing., and increase fishing lic costs? I don't think I agree with that.these left wing tree huggers don't care about what ohv uses or fisherman or hunters think.the question period has fallen on Def ears and will continue to. They will continue to come up with (scientific research ) that suits their agenda. This is the way these people work.
No man they're actually improving the area significantly by reducing anthropogenic activity. Thanks OP!
Old 04-11-2017, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyTheory View Post
No man they're actually improving the area significantly by reducing anthropogenic activity. Thanks OP!
If there were actually "reducing" the off-road activities rather than banning them completely I am sure most of the people currently opposed would change their tune.

Not sure how you would do that though, I have tried to go offroading at McLean Creek as well and that place is full of the same "illegal" trails.

It turns into the ole "this is why we cannot have nice things" situation.

People ripping and tearing up the areas they are not suppose to means I am no longer able to explore the area in my cruiser.
Old 04-11-2017, 06:34 PM

Default This about nails it.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, just not their own facts:

http://lethbridgeherald.com/commenta...in-ohv-debate/

Well said, Mr. Fitch.
Old 04-11-2017, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty9 View Post

Well said, Mr. Fitch.
X2

I've seen first hand how a once fish spawning creek attached to the NSR is now a mess with no fish in it. It is choked off. OHV destruction, out of control. Once permanent water bodies were designated "public", the hords of OHV users use this as their tag line "It's crown land and I have the right...". Even when it was clear to them it was a fish bearing creek the only thought that occurred to most of them was how they could still do it and not get caught by F&W. That's the mentality you would hope that science could change. Too bad one side of the equation isn't listening.
Old 04-12-2017, 05:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty9 View Post

Well said, Mr. Fitch.
X3. Very well written article.
Old 04-12-2017, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by millsboy79 View Post
If there were actually "reducing" the off-road activities rather than banning them completely I am sure most of the people currently opposed would change their tune.

Not sure how you would do that though, I have tried to go offroading at McLean Creek as well and that place is full of the same "illegal" trails.

It turns into the ole "this is why we cannot have nice things" situation.

People ripping and tearing up the areas they are not suppose to means I am no longer able to explore the area in my cruiser.
You would need the enforcement to be upped and you would need the others that do it the right. like it sounds you do, to help enforce - like report a poacher but report an illegal OHV use.

My experience has shown that your attitude is not in the majority but the minority. I hear from OHV groups that it is the other way around but there is a lot of monkey see monkey do in these situations where once one does it, and leaves the scar / evidence, others just follow the same track since someone did it before them.

No wonder the approach is coming at this from a "ban" point of view. I agree and support a total ban approach because it didn't work in my situation unless it was a total ban.
Old 04-12-2017, 05:12 PM

Default Castle parks versus OHV

X2

I've seen first hand how a once fish spawning creek attached to the NSR is now a mess with no fish in it. It is choked off. OHV destruction, out of control. Once permanent water bodies were designated "public", the hords of OHV users use this as their tag line "It's crown land and I have the right...". Even when it was clear to them it was a fish bearing creek the only thought that occurred to most of them was how they could still do it and not get caught by F&W. That's the mentality you would hope that science could change. Too bad one side of the equation isn't listening.

X4!!!
Old 04-13-2017, 08:16 AM

Thanks for the info Snap. I guess since this weather wont cooperate we all have time to fill out surveys
Old 04-13-2017, 08:53 AM

"Beneficial to themselves? No, beneficial to the threatened species of cutthroat and bull trout that have existed in the Castle for thousands of years. "

so when Mr. Fintch (or whatever his name is), or others in his camp, decide these at risk species need to be protected from stress and mortality due to sport fishing, and close that down, do not come crying here.

you really don't think that can happen? just asking. who really knows how far they will go in shutting down eastern slope activities? My concern is that they want to create a legacy that will never be forgotten. shut down an entire park to fishing, hunting, and quads. that will be remembered.
Old 04-13-2017, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Shortington View Post
Thanks for the info Snap. I guess since this weather wont cooperate we all have time to fill out surveys
Lol! That same thing crossed my mind too. Stupid weather! <- #1 cause of instant sediment and ruined plans