Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-27-2024, 05:29 PM

Default Cordless drill help

I need to buy a good cordless drill. One that will put screws through 2 x 4 one that will replace my electric drill. The cordless drills that I have now will nor put screws through 2 x 4 lumber. I bought new batteries 20V but the drills are simply too weak to do the job.
Looking forward to your professional advise.
Old 04-27-2024, 05:34 PM

Get a Milwaukee 18v. It will do the job.
Old 04-27-2024, 05:37 PM

Get an impact driver.
Old 04-27-2024, 05:44 PM

I used Dewalt 20V and always had two batteries
Charging seems to take it's time in my experiences
Old 04-27-2024, 05:44 PM

Check out the Kobalt line at Lowe’s. Right now, you get a free 6 amp hour battery with any cordless tool purchase. The batteries are $130. Plus they have great reviews on YouTube.
Old 04-27-2024, 05:51 PM

Default How much of a carpenter are you?

This is not a jab at you by any means. Milwaukee is top of the line, but pricey. If you plan on using these every day. Then go with them. I went with the ridgid subcompact brushless tools. They work for me. I use them occasionally. I bought them for their warranty. The batteries are also lifetime warranty. In my case, the batteries will rust out before I wear them out. When they do. I just get another. Thats why I went with ridgid.
"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!" 1935-Adolf Hitler
Old 04-27-2024, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxwell78 View Post
This is not a jab at you by any means. Milwaukee is top of the line, but pricey. If you plan on using these every day. Then go with them. I went with the ridgid subcompact brushless tools. They work for me. I use them occasionally. I bought them for their warranty. The batteries are also lifetime warranty. In my case, the batteries will rust out before I wear them out. When they do. I just get another. Thats why I went with ridgid.
I too bought the Rigid subcompact brushless, for the home owner it is more than adequate, really good non commercial tools. Warranty is why I ended up there as well.

Thomas Sowell
Old 04-27-2024, 06:02 PM

Drills are for drilling,impacts are for screws.
I think all brands are pretty good now except of course Canadian Tire brand or Princess Auto etc.
Old 04-27-2024, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxwell78 View Post
^^^^^^^^
THIS. Milwaukee is definitely top of the heap for pros or serious amateurs. For the rest of us, Maxwell is spot on with Rigid as they guarantee their batteries forever and that is usually what craps out on the cordless tools.i originally bought Makita. Good tools but replacement batteries cost more than the new tool with a battery. Have been switching to Rigid as the batteries go bad because it is cheaper to buy new Rigid than just a new Makita battery.
Old 04-27-2024, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
^^^^^^^^
THIS. Milwaukee is definitely top of the heap for pros or serious amateurs. For the rest of us, Maxwell is spot on with Rigid as they guarantee their batteries forever and that is usually what craps out on the cordless tools.i originally bought Makita. Good tools but replacement batteries cost more than the new tool with a battery. Have been switching to Rigid as the batteries go bad because it is cheaper to buy new Rigid than just a new Makita battery.
KMS tools in Calgary, Makita 3ahr 18v are usually $70-$80When on sale which is quite often.All of mine have come from there.Used daily, no issues.
Old 04-27-2024, 06:55 PM

Go with a Milwaukee fuel , they are brushless .
Old 04-27-2024, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishtank View Post
Go with a Milwaukee fuel , they are brushless .
X2
Old 04-27-2024, 07:09 PM

Never heard of a drill not being able to put a screw into a two by four.

I would go with DeWalt myself. Bought mine about 10 years ago and still runs fine, the batteries are still good too. Had a bad experience with Milwaukee twice, they just didn’t hold up.
Old 04-27-2024, 07:16 PM

If you're a professional, you probably wouldn't be asking this question, but I'd go with Milwaukee.

If you're a hobbyist, I'd go with Milwaukee. Probably this one: Link

I also wouldn't buy a drill, I'd get a 1/4" impact.

2nd pick would be DeWalt.
Old 04-27-2024, 07:23 PM

^ I was going to say get a set and that’ll work. This will work for home use too:https://www.amazon.ca/DEWALT-20-Volt.../dp/B00IJ0ALYS
Old 04-27-2024, 07:28 PM

I have both Milwaukee and Dewalt and use them constantly. Was going to upgrade to brushless Dewalt and found they have problems with them so not going that route. You don't need anything expensive for occasional use. Biggest issue is the cost nowadays for extra Li batteries.
Old 04-27-2024, 07:53 PM

I run all dewalt / Mac tools cause they’re built by dewalt. Only problem I’ve had is a bit of a problem with the batteries. But I can take the battery out and put it rite back in and it works properly. Only run this brand cause can interchange between my shop and home for all of them. I have about 12 dewalt/mac tools and it’s nice cause all the batteries are the same. And to the op you don’t use a drill nowadays for driving screws. Use a impact driver
Old 04-27-2024, 08:01 PM

Geeze I have a 15 yr old dewalt 12v that will still drive screws through a 2x4. But honestly the impact is what you want to drive screws. Use the drill for what it was designed for. To drill holes
Old 04-27-2024, 08:10 PM

At first my dewalts were made in USA. Then Mexico, now China.
I used to be all dewalt. Quality isn't what it was. Normally the triggers go on drills,impacts, and on heat guns, the switch goes. I buy all Milwaukee now.
My 1/2" Milwaukee impact is at least twice as strong as basically useless dewalt 1/2".
I'm all 20 volt. I would have to look but new Milwaukee might be Chinese now but they are better than dewalt China.
Those cordless grease guns,circular saws ,grinders ,etc are so handy I don't use air tools anymore.

If you are not using them much then cheaper brand would make sense
Old 04-27-2024, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by superuke View Post
I need to buy a good cordless drill. One that will put screws through 2 x 4 one that will replace my electric drill. The cordless drills that I have now will nor put screws through 2 x 4 lumber. I bought new batteries 20V but the drills are simply too weak to do the job.
Looking forward to your professional advise.
Is there a clutch on the drill that you can adjust? Any drill should drive a screw through a two by four.
Clutch should be numbers on the drill chuck. Not the speed of drill but the clutch on the chuck
Old 04-27-2024, 08:19 PM

We run Milwaukee, Dewalt and Makita. Have approx 15 Makita drills and probably double that in impacts. We have ran them all and they see heavy use. We run mostly Makita as they had the best cold weather performance for a long time. Milwaukee we had alot of issues with triggers and they are now a china company (i believe) owned by the same parent company as rigid? Makita are the most refined and hold up to abuse well, Milwaukee usually have the most power unless vs makita 40v. Dewalt I find seems to run middle ground with it all. All in all I would take the Makita for all day use. Usually the most ergonomically friendly. But like most things personal opinion. Ps Dean we buy 5ah makita batteries for a decent price not any more exspensive than the other 2 brands.

It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere. Voltaire
Old 04-27-2024, 08:26 PM

Milwaukee For me. Shift it down for low speed/high torque. The disk grinders are very handy as well. Why stop there, as the impacts are also handy.
Old 04-27-2024, 08:28 PM

Just bought a Milwaukee cordless screwdriver with a 12 v,6a battery
Battery is more expensive than the driver, but they sure last a long time
So far, so good
Old 04-27-2024, 08:33 PM

Lowes has left Canada. Maybe Rona who took them over has the same? Or just go get a Milwaukee 2900 series drill with 12 amp battery and hold on. I use it for ice auger and it will take you for a ride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghfalls View Post
Check out the Kobalt line at Lowe’s. Right now, you get a free 6 amp hour battery with any cordless tool purchase. The batteries are $130. Plus they have great reviews on YouTube.
Old 04-27-2024, 08:57 PM

I'm a De Walt guy myself, they've stopped making 18 v batteries but you can buy an adapter to use the new "20v" batteries, I'm still trying to figure that out. Whatever you chose, best stick with that brand or keeping up with batteries will drive you nuts.

Isaiah 5:8
Old 04-27-2024, 09:07 PM

Every once in a while I'll drive a screw with a corded drill, just to remind myself where I came from.
Old 04-27-2024, 09:52 PM

i use dewalt 20v tools all day , love em , if its used a lot buy the big batteries.
Old 04-27-2024, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maghunter View Post
Get a Milwaukee 18v. It will do the job.
X2 ... buy once cry once
Old 04-27-2024, 11:12 PM

I have DeWalt and they work just fine. I have the older style (18v) with the 20v adaptors as well as the newer models with 20v batteries. I like to use the impacts/hammer drill for driving screws.

Only warranty issue I've had was with my 8"chainsaw/ trimmer. It cost me $30 bucks to send it in for warranty work in Edmonton (shipping). They replaced both the motor and the trigger so I am pretty happy with that as well.
Look for batteries on sale but be mindful of the knock offs as they are not as good as the real deal.
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 04-27-2024, 11:18 PM

I have Ridged, I bought them because they have the best warranty.
Even on their batteries.