Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-24-2017, 05:31 AM

Default Smart phone question

I'm not exactly a high tech communications type of guy. I'd still be using my old startac if I could.

Fido is giving me a new phone and I can choose between the iPhone7 or any other phone they offer (aside from newer iPhones)

Is getting the iPhone a no brainer or is there a better choice for a guy who just uses the phone to talk, text and sometimes surf the net?

Since they are giving me a new phone, I have no need for my old one.

Anybody have any idea what a used iPhone 5 16 would sell for?

I did some google fu and found them selling from $50-$400 in kijiji, craigslist and ebay. So, that was no help.

I figured I'd ask here as one of you fine gentleman or ladies might be a bit more knowledgeable on the subject than I am.

Thanks in advance.
Old 11-24-2017, 05:39 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Get the new I phone and keep your old one in case the new one has issues at least you have a back up.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 11-24-2017, 07:14 AM
Banned

For someone that’s not to tech savvy and you just want something that works, and being in Edmonton you have local tech support, go with the iPhone. You can get the other phones and they’ll work just fine but the iPhone is easier to navigate and set up for most people.
I don’t like Apple right now, but like the Android systems a lot less.

As for selling the old one, not a huge market. When you search to see what your price should be, factor in storage space, 16g in your case, and what accessories come with it. 16g phones will be for the right buyer because of its limited capabilities.
Old 11-24-2017, 07:22 AM

If you're not tech savy, get the base model iPhone of whatever is free. The newest iPhone X is not user-friendly from the initial reviews. Android phones are fairly complicated these days too, you seem to need to be quite the techy type to run them.
Old 11-24-2017, 08:51 AM

I'd go with the iPhone 7. It's a good phone, takes nice pictures, is now water-resistant (big plus for me, who has dunked phones while fishing). And if you already use an iPhone 5, you can basically pick up the 7 and start using it right away as you already know how most things on it work.

When we got my wife's new 7 from Telus they actually bought back her old 5. That wasn't part of the deal. They just asked at the end of the transaction if she wanted to sell it. I can't recall exactly what we got for it, but it was either $100 or $200. My son keeps his old phones and uses them when he's travelling the third world. He doesn't take his good phone, and only uses the old one with no plan when he has wifi, which is usually daily. And he doesn't care if he loses it.
Old 11-24-2017, 09:05 AM

When my wife and I got our new phones I gave our iPhone 5s to a geek friend to sell. He got me $100.00 each and $50.00 for an older iPhone 4s I had.

I know a few that take their old phones with them when they travel to the US. They buy a new card and a cheap plan.
Old 11-24-2017, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
I'd go with the iPhone 7. It's a good phone, takes nice pictures, is now water-resistant (big plus for me, who has dunked phones while fishing). And if you already use an iPhone 5, you can basically pick up the 7 and start using it right away as you already know how most things on it work.

When we got my wife's new 7 from Telus they actually bought back her old 5. That wasn't part of the deal. They just asked at the end of the transaction if she wanted to sell it. I can't recall exactly what we got for it, but it was either $100 or $200. My son keeps his old phones and uses them when he's travelling the third world. He doesn't take his good phone, and only uses the old one with no plan when he has wifi, which is usually daily. And he doesn't care if he loses it.
Question. Will the phone work as a telephone without a plan and just a wifi connection?
Old 11-24-2017, 09:21 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by covey ridge View Post
Question. Will the phone work as a telephone without a plan and just a wifi connection?
No it will not.
Old 11-24-2017, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlightlyDistracting View Post
No it will not.
Thanks
Old 11-24-2017, 11:13 PM

Thanks for the answers. Went with the iPhone 7 and decided I will keep the old one for travel. Good idea that I never thought of. Thanks Okotokian.
I might just give it to my mother. She likes to fool around with my phone whenever I visit her. She has an iPad that she uses all the time so it miight be useful for her when she's away from home.
Either way, it's not really worth selling for $100 or so.

Thanks.
Old 11-25-2017, 12:03 AM
Banned

Quote:
Yes, buy only to the 911 operator.
Old 11-25-2017, 12:48 AM

Quote:
There are a few apps that let you make phone call or text and received call/text Just google them (text now )is a popular one
Old 11-25-2017, 12:58 AM

You should be able to use skype for video calls on the old phone as long as you have wi-fi.
Old 11-25-2017, 11:04 AM

Default phone

Put the GAIA GPS app on your iPhone. Nice aerial photos and a beats a regular GPS in my experience due to better screen, easier to save points etc. You already have the phone.
Old 11-25-2017, 11:53 AM

Quote:
It will if you have it 'unlocked and buy a SIM card for wherever you are. It's a really good idea actually
Old 11-25-2017, 12:10 PM

Quote:
No it will not.
Well, not quite true. You can use it as a phone over wifi with no cell plan if you download an app like Hangouts, Skye etc. There are lots of apps that let you use a phone over wifi. Also, by law in Canada all phones now must come unlocked. They cannot charge you to unlock a locked phone if yours is an older one. Makes it much easier to sell.
Old 11-27-2017, 09:55 AM

Quote:
No it will not.
What about wifi calling, skype, facetime, etc?