Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-24-2017, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobinthesky View Post
I copy and pasted this from the article.

quote "Wearing a military uniform without lawful authority to do so is an offence under the Criminal Code of Canada."

Would that not apply just to wearing a Canadian uniform? I'm not sure why Canadian law would be concerned if you wanted to dress up as a soldier from some other country that has no power or status in this country.
Old 11-24-2017, 09:55 AM

I think he should be charged with 4 counts under the criminal code. Looks like this looser qualifies for all 4 sections under a-d.

Quote:
419. Unlawful use of military uniforms or certificates

419. Every one who without lawful authority, the proof of which lies on him,

(a) wears a uniform of the Canadian Forces or any other naval, army or air force or a uniform that is so similar to the uniform of any of those forces that it is likely to be mistaken therefor,

(b) wears a distinctive mark relating to wounds received or service performed in war, or a military medal, ribbon, badge, chevron or any decoration or order that is awarded for war services, or any imitation thereof, or any mark or device or thing that is likely to be mistaken for any such mark, medal, ribbon, badge, chevron, decoration or order,

(c) has in his possession a certificate of discharge, certificate of release, statement of service or identity card from the Canadian Forces or any other naval, army or air force that has not been issued to and does not belong to him, or

(d) has in his possession a commission or warrant or a certificate of discharge, certificate of release, statement of service or identity card, issued to an officer or a person in or who has been in the Canadian Forces or any other naval, army or air force, that contains any alteration that is not verified by the initials of the officer who issued it, or by the initials of an officer thereto lawfully authorized,

is guilty of an offence punishable on summary conviction.

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 11-24-2017, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostguy6 View Post
I think he should be charged with 4 counts under the criminal code. Looks like this looser qualifies for all 4 sections under a-d.
Those sections relate to the Canadian armed forces. I thought he was wearing a supposed US uniform and passing himself off as a Marine.
Old 11-24-2017, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by densa44 View Post
Is this sort of thing illegal in Canada? It should be. Is it just more or less harmless or is there a sinister element to it?
What happened to that guy in Ottawa who was dressed up as a soldier and had never served?

Is sort of thing common? The guy would have had to buy all the medals, uniforms, insignia etc. to dress the part.

I'm concerned that he is at an elementary school with children, are the children the attraction?

Does this guy have a real job?
You make a scary point here.

The outrage of someone trying to pose as a soldier infuriates me. So many service people have given sacrifices for us and posing as one of these honored service people is shameful. I can't tell you how painful it must be for the families of lost/fallen soldiers, or the pain a family must endure when a soldier comes back with mental/physical scars and is sentenced to living with these for the rest of his life ...... and for someone to dress up and pretend to want to be someone like this, or poses to be anyone approaching the honor of these people just irks me to no end.

If this guys is not just doing it as an attempt to "be a hero for a day" for the self gratifications his own life can't give him .... why is he doing it.

To even think this guy has (or may have) other motives, as you suggested, just makes it so much worse.

His sentence should be to have his face tattooed as a clown and marched from school to school to be humiliated and presented as an example of what a coward looks like to the children of our country and then be put back into a cage and locked up like an animal between visits.

I hope he is charged, convicted, humiliated and jailed.
Old 11-24-2017, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
Those sections relate to the Canadian armed forces. I thought he was wearing a supposed US uniform and passing himself off as a Marine.

Good point, maybe these laws don't apply to him.
I wouldn't go to the US if I were him though.
Old 11-24-2017, 11:25 AM

Every one who without lawful authority, the proof of which lies on him,

(a) wears a uniform of the Canadian Forces or any other naval, army or air force or a uniform that is so similar to the uniform of any of those forces that it is likely to be mistaken therefor,

Think the "...or any other naval, army or air force...." covers this clown wearing a supposed Marine uniform.
Old 11-24-2017, 12:32 PM

Unhappy Sad

Ongoing investigation, but no formal complaint: http://www.rdnewsnow.com/article/562...soldier-update

A US Marine Corps Veteran wannabe, who probably never was - sad .

It doesn't appear this guy had any real malicious intent. He's just let his imagination run completely away with him. And mental issues? Probably!

In spite of what others have said here, it doesn't appear he has broken any Canadian laws, as the US Marine Corps is not part of the Canadian military. There are no laws in Canada against wearing a "costume" (no matter how inaccurate), depicting foreign military personnel.

Here's hoping this guy gets the help he needs.
Old 11-24-2017, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Wolf View Post

He doesn't look like the average Marine you see in the recruiting commercials... Didn't know they had standard issue uniforms that short and wide. Maybe we have been fed a steady diet of lies... LOL
Old 11-24-2017, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Wolf View Post

Ongoing investigation, but no formal complaint: http://www.rdnewsnow.com/article/562...soldier-update

A US Marine Corps Veteran wannabe, who probably never was - sad .

It doesn't appear this guy had any real malicious intent. He's just let his imagination run completely away with him. And mental issues? Probably!

In spite of what others have said here, it doesn't appear he has broken any Canadian laws, as the US Marine Corps is not part of the Canadian military. There are no laws in Canada against wearing a "costume" (no matter how inaccurate), depicting foreign military personnel.

Here's hoping this guy gets the help he needs.
He contravened 419(a) as JohninAB pointed out.
Old 11-24-2017, 12:51 PM

nevermind. Edited
Old 11-24-2017, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heybert View Post

He contravened 419(a) as JohninAB pointed out.

I really don't think so. There's WAY too many inaccuracies in that "uniform".

At best, it only passes as a Halloween Costume.

There ain't no laws against that, I hope!
Old 11-24-2017, 01:22 PM

Saw this website last night and based on them asking for stiffer fines and actual enforcement of the law I doubt this moron will get into much trouble.

http://stolenvalour.ca/

Especially in this case they should, why would anyone find it acceptable that people dress up and claim to be what they are not to go to schools and meet with kids? It's shady and a slap in the face of Canadian Veterans who wouldn't have to lie to the kids to encourage and motivate them.
Old 11-25-2017, 05:54 PM
Banned

This guy could be a John Wayne Gacy for all we know. Maybe that's his gig, dress up to get close to children. Freak.

Pretty sad state of affairs we have when we have to have an organization that aims to expose unlawful use of military uniforms or certificates.
Old 11-26-2017, 07:14 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Willy View Post
That "uniform" absolutely screams fraud. You wouldn't have to be an expert on U.S. Marine Corps dress and deportment to think the same...

-Willy
Looks like a yanky in a movie script....the donut too far!

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 11-26-2017, 07:48 AM

The kids this jerk duped gotta feel victimized and sadly disappointed. I'm sure they have lost some amount of trust in people we'ed like to call heroes because of this creep. I'm always wary of those who tout themselves; you just know they're full of 'it'.
Old 11-26-2017, 08:18 AM

Don't know if I read this right but, he is supposed to be 50 yrs old in 2017 and he retired from the USMC in 1985. That would make him 18 yrs old when he retired. That's the age when you join up.

I retired from the CAF in 1987 at compulsory retirement age (CRA) at 45 yrs of age. After being commissioned, my CRA date changed from 50 yrs old to 45. I was on the old RCAF General List Officers Plan which was 27 yrs service or age 45, which ever came first. I hit 45 with 25 yrs service.

This supposed Marine has to be around my age, which is 75 if he "retired" in 1985.
Old 11-26-2017, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunluvr View Post
The kids this jerk duped gotta feel victimized and sadly disappointed. I'm sure they have lost some amount of trust in people we'ed like to call heroes because of this creep. I'm always wary of those who tout themselves; you just know they're full of 'it'.
Really?.....I hope they don't feel victimized, at least for societies sake. They're getting a glimpse of just another idiot in a long line of idiots, cheats, con men, liars, politicians, etc., that they will deal with as they go through life. If these kids are so sensitive they feel victimized over something like this then how are they going to deal with the pitfalls of life. Personally I hope they are amused by this (they're probably laughing about this guy and making jokes) learn from it and take away a new perspective about human nature and mental illness.
Old 11-26-2017, 10:18 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
Really?.....I hope they don't feel victimized, at least for societies sake. They're getting a glimpse of just another idiot in a long line of idiots, cheats, con men, liars, politicians, etc., that they will deal with as they go through life. If these kids are so sensitive they feel victimized over something like this then how are they going to deal with the pitfalls of life. Personally I hope they are amused by this (they're probably laughing about this guy and making jokes) learn from it and take away a new perspective about human nature and mental illness.
Exactly, make fun of this clown, far from a victim of a false hero,the guys a joke so treat it as one...later on in life laugh over it a you have a few beers and toast the ones that gave, give or are about to give for our great country.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 11-27-2017, 09:50 AM

Victimized is probably the wrong word. Cynical is probably what they will end up feeling.
Old 11-27-2017, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
Forgot to put up his Space Shuttle Door Gunner patch.

I feel a little sorry for people that do this type of thing and wonder if they may have some sort of mental malfunction.

Love that patch! My favourite.
Old 12-07-2017, 01:41 PM
Banned

Alberta man who appeared as retired U.S. marine at Remembrance Day events denounced as impostor

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...toth-1.4435499

Wheeler acknowledged Stolen Valour Canada's investigation questioning Toth's authenticity and confirmed the incident is now with Red Deer RCMP.

Red Deer RCMP told CBC News that a complaint was made to them on Nov. 27, but couldn't confirm whether an investigation was underway.

Hopefully they make a fine example of him and how wrong this is
Old 12-07-2017, 06:09 PM

It is too bad you couldn't find some real U.S. Marines to introduce him to.
Old 12-07-2017, 07:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver View Post

It is too bad you couldn't find some real U.S. Marines to introduce him to.
Don Shipley (aka Buds131 - the Stolen Valour activist) would have a field-day with this Peter Toth guy.

https://www.youtube.com/user/Buds131

Old 12-07-2017, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J0HN_R1 View Post
Don Shipley (aka Buds131 - the Stolen Valour activist) would have a field-day with this Peter Toth guy.

https://www.youtube.com/user/Buds131

I think Shipley only tracks down stolen valor of navy seals as he was a former seal.
Regardless of the overwhelming odds or obstacles in your path,
you always have an opportunity to overcome.
It is your attitude that will determine the outcome.
Old 12-07-2017, 09:20 PM
Banned

The guys and gals who serve this country have enough things in their lives taken away whether it be well mental or physical being, benefits, time away from families and so on, the last thing they need is someone stealing their glory for their accomplishment. On the other hand there are people with mental illness who have always wanted to be a "soldier" but, were unable to do so for obvious reasons, in these situations I feel bad for both parties, but when it's some clown knowing full well what they are doing, well then they should be punished by the full extent of the law.
Old 12-07-2017, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbill View Post
The guys and gals who serve this country have enough things in their lives taken away whether it be well mental or physical being, benefits, time away from families and so on, the last thing they need is someone stealing their glory for their accomplishment. On the other hand there are people with mental illness who have always wanted to be a "soldier" but, were unable to do so for obvious reasons, in these situations I feel bad for both parties, but when it's some clown knowing full well what they are doing, well then they should be punished by the full extent of the law.
I'm gonna go ahead and say if this guy went into a classroom and pretended to be a marine vet - he obviously doesn't have it all together upstairs.

He has more problems than you and I - not sure of the negativity towards him. He's not all there.

If it's for another malicious reason - ie getting close to the kids or something stupid, then that's for the RCMP to decide. And then he'll get what he deserves.

But I doubt it. More likely a case of an 11 year old mind in a 50 year old body.
Old 12-08-2017, 02:25 AM
Banned

I agree that SOME of these posers do have a mental malfunction but many do not and do it anyway. For example, there’s a fella on the west coast who has been posing as a Veteran forever and when he was finally outed, many of us upon realizing that he wasn’t all there, went to bat for him and gave him a pass. Hey, if that guy wants to be Napoleon and he’s not hurting anyone or discrediting anyone and not taken seriously, who cares?

It’s different for people that have a personality defect like this asshat in Red Deer. They know the difference between right and wrong but do it for personal gratification. I don’t lump them in with the mentally ill as they are aware of their actions and I would feed them to the lions.
Old 12-08-2017, 07:14 PM
Banned

A couple of you have inaccurately stated that he has broken no laws as he is not wearing a Canadian uniform or medals. I can assure you that he has, he is in violation of all 4 sub-sections of 419 of the CC of Canada and will likely be charged under that law. "Uncle" Donald Lemmond of Hamiliton Ont was charged and convicted under 419 a couple of years ago for impersonating a US veteran and wearing US medals at a Canadian citizenship ceremony.

This sort of thing is rampant across Canada, Stolen Valour Canada has busted a couple of dozen imposters and embellishers since they started their FB group in the wake of the Franck Gervais trainwreck in Ottawa in 2014.

So to those that are confused, YES 419 applies to him and most likely he will be charged and convicted.
Old 03-01-2018, 01:16 PM

Looks like he's been charged.

http://rdnewsnow.com/article/574294/...iminal-charges
Old 03-01-2018, 07:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertadiver View Post
Like I said he would! Huge POS.