Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-18-2017, 01:24 PM
Banned

Default Logging Starts Today in Kananaskis

As the title states logging is scheduled to start in the Kananaskis Park today. The location is west of Longview near the Highwood Junction and the Alberta Forestry Trunk Road. The logs will be taken to a BC mill for processing. It is anticipated that the logging will continue through to next year.

This area of Kananaskis is a well travelled via Highway 40 and it amazes me that logging is going to be allowed. This area is used by many to hunt, fish, hike, bike, horseback ride, picnic, bird watch and enjoy the beauty of the Rocky Mountains and surrounding terrain. I sure hope the logging doesn't adversely affect all the grizzly & black bears, big horn sheep, mountain lions, wolves, coyotes, foxes, moose, elk, deer, beavers, rabbits, squirrels and fish.

There is talk of a petition starting to stop the logging. Hopefully it will be circulated and presented to the Government of Alberta as soon as possible. If your concerned please contact your MLAs and ask them to inquire about the logging in the Kananaskis Park.

I have attached some of my photos from the Kananaskis Park for you to view and I hope scheduled logging doesn't ruin this beautiful area in the park.

Sincerely,

Nickolas

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Highwood 1.jpg (92.2 KB, 228 views)
File Type: jpg Highwood 2.jpg (82.0 KB, 208 views)
File Type: jpg Highwood 3.jpg (93.0 KB, 207 views)
File Type: jpg Highwood 4.jpg (71.1 KB, 222 views)
Old 11-18-2017, 01:43 PM

Logging a renewable resource is not such a bad way to go, the other alternative is leaving the forest as is and having a wild fire move thru and destroying the forest and wildlife , Sensible logging is the way to go.
Old 11-18-2017, 01:47 PM

They will log, the animals will move, they will stop logging and the animals will come back. Clear cuts can be great habitat.
Old 11-18-2017, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorty View Post
They will log, the animals will move, they will stop logging and the animals will come back. Clear cuts can be great habitat.
Exactly. No issue with logging if it's done with respect. It does **** me off that we let BC companies in to log and take Albertas trees though.

There was a bunch of trees that a BC contractor cut by our place and hauled out for put of province processing too. How about let us put a pipeline through or get the hell out... Venting a little...
Old 11-18-2017, 02:34 PM

As long as they cut sustainably then we’re good.
Old 11-18-2017, 03:15 PM

I didnt think they were cutting in the park, but in the Cateract creek area south down towards the 532 junction?
Old 11-18-2017, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntsougri View Post
As the title states logging is scheduled to start in the Kananaskis Park today. The location is west of Longview near the Highwood Junction and the Alberta Forestry Trunk Road. The logs will be taken to a BC mill for processing. It is anticipated that the logging will continue through to next year.

This area of Kananaskis is a well travelled via Highway 40 and it amazes me that logging is going to be allowed. This area is used by many to hunt, fish, hike, bike, horseback ride, picnic, bird watch and enjoy the beauty of the Rocky Mountains and surrounding terrain. I sure hope the logging doesn't adversely affect all the grizzly & black bears, big horn sheep, mountain lions, wolves, coyotes, foxes, moose, elk, deer, beavers, rabbits, squirrels and fish.

There is talk of a petition starting to stop the logging. Hopefully it will be circulated and presented to the Government of Alberta as soon as possible. If your concerned please contact your MLAs and ask them to inquire about the logging in the Kananaskis Park.

I have attached some of my photos from the Kananaskis Park for you to view and I hope scheduled logging doesn't ruin this beautiful area in the park.

Sincerely,

Nickolas

Noun 1. NIMBY - someone who objects to siting something in their own neighborhood but does not object to it being sited elsewhere; an acronym for not in my backyard

Glad to see the project is starting
Old 11-18-2017, 04:00 PM

We drove out there today and there was no sign of anything going on. Could not even find any road access that would have to be built so as to get the logs out of there, which was originally supposed to be across from the entrance to Etherington campground. The area of concern is not going to be down by Cataract, but directly SE of the junction of Highways 40 and 940, a highly visible area.

To the OP, if you are on Facebook, join the group "Take a Stand for the Upper Highwood". You will find more like-minded folks there...

And here is the plan.

https://www.facebook.com/stand.highw...type=3&theater

Saving one animal won't change the world, but the world will change for that one animal!

Last edited by molly; 11-18-2017 at 04:05 PM.
Old 11-18-2017, 04:20 PM

Either log it or it will burn. People that keep petitioning this kind of stuff should find something better to do with their time.
Old 11-18-2017, 06:29 PM

The area has been logged before and im sure will again in the future. Many of the areas you love to hunt,fish and hike are accessible due to the forestry road/logging.
Old 11-18-2017, 08:58 PM

Thats golden, in alberta people are protesting logging. Logging isnt all bad, minus the trees disappearing there is no contamination or other remnants when its done and you get thT much more access to the bush
Old 11-18-2017, 09:38 PM

It is better to use that timber than to let it burn in a huge fire in the future. For sure we will see more fires in areas that are now off limits to logging like the so called Castle Park.
Old 11-18-2017, 11:00 PM

If people don't get a clue that logging helps keep forests healthy after the massive fires we've seen in the last year then I don't think they'll ever have a clue at all. Unless they prefer massive destruction, deaths of countless animals and the pollution. The jobs & profits are icing on the cake, its about as win/win as things get.

Speaking truths such as how things built from lumber are actually carbon sinks can be especially difficult for people with certain mindsets to comprehend.
Old 11-19-2017, 07:39 AM

Quote:
[LEFT]As the title states logging is scheduled to start in the Kananaskis Park today. The location is west of Longview near the Highwood Junction and the Alberta Forestry Trunk Road.
Okay, your first mistake is stating that this is "Kananaskis Park", this is false. If you did your research, you would know that it is in KANANASKIS COUNTRY - which is a wide swath of land with parks, ecological reserves, and public "green zone" lands included. The land they are logging is that land that is allowed under the current classification, as "green zone" public land.

Also, I personally object to this area being called Kananskis Country, as it is in the Highwood Valley. It would be better identified as Highwood Country.

Thirdly, as President of the Calgary Snowmobile Club, with our club maintaining the snowmobile trails for year round use by snowmobilers and non-motorized recreationalists, we deal with the forestry company SLS year round. The thing I find funny is that "the public" chastises the forestry companies, when they are operating within the set regulations of the government of Alberta. If you have a problem, picket the Forestry department, they are the group responsible to set the operating procedures of the forestry companies, IN THE PUBLIC'S INTEREST. Our club and SLS are not always on the same page, but it is a fine balancing act that government must do to keep differing views balanced, as best they can. I do not envy our civil servants who are in these roles, as it is not an easy road.
Old 11-19-2017, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
If people don't get a clue that logging helps keep forests healthy after the massive fires we've seen in the last year then I don't think they'll ever have a clue at all. Unless they prefer massive destruction, deaths of countless animals and the pollution. The jobs & profits are icing on the cake, its about as win/win as things get.

Speaking truths such as how things built from lumber are actually carbon sinks can be especially difficult for people with certain mindsets to comprehend.
Plus the loss of the logs/lumber, employment, taxes if it burns then add to that the cost of fighting these fires.
Old 11-19-2017, 09:36 AM

Old 11-19-2017, 09:43 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidderman View Post
Either log it or it will burn. People that keep petitioning this kind of stuff should find something better to do with their time.
Forests have stood for eons with no fires but you make it sound like its going to happen soon anyways. Flawed logic at best.
Old 11-19-2017, 09:51 AM

Someone please explain how logging stops forest fires. When it is hot and dry with strong winds a forest fire burns everything including cut blocks over run with grass and logging waste. Yes forests come back after logging in about 100-150 years.
Old 11-19-2017, 10:24 AM
Banned

Some of you "TREE-HUGGERS" should come back into McLean Creek OHVZ (part of Kananaskis Country)...

It (K Country) has been logged for years. They've been out there (McLean) since September, fully loaded haul trucks rolling out 5 days a week !

Wood to build houses has to come from somewhere...
Old 11-19-2017, 11:23 AM
Banned

I agree sustainable and responsible logging can be a good idea. However attached is a photo of how logging was done earlier in the year in the area 10 km south of the Highwood Junction.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Logging 2017.jpg (39.2 KB, 118 views)
Old 11-19-2017, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post

How does logging prevent forest fires? The scrub that growns in for the first 40-70 years is a brutal tangle of match sticks and young trees and you have the surrounding forest that doesnt get logged adjacent to that....

You cant actually prevent forest fires, they happen all the time, lighting or idiots can start fires no matter what the forest looks like.

The most resilient stands are the old stands where the trees and dense and large creating a forest floor without much scrubby brush and trees etc. When you hack down the forest you get an even canopy of everything growi g back and it is a carpet of brush and young trees plus all the plants that grow because they have the sun they dont normally get with a mature forest.

Logging does not prevent forest fires, unless you bulldozer the mou tain to bare soil after all the stuff that grows back in burns... that scrubby second growth stuff burns pretty good. Logging generally attracts beetles etc too to the 'leave stands' as well as the edges of blocks where trees get stressed and scared up from logging. The bugs propogate it the stressed/scarred trees then infest neighbouring trees. Logging kinda dries areas out too which stresses trees and encourages beetles which i turn leads to more fire possibility. I see this because i have grown up in a forestry community and have been out in the same bushes for 27 years and witnessed the changes through out time in different areas.
Old 11-19-2017, 12:00 PM
Banned

Here are a couple of articles of interest about the logging in Kananaskis Country.

http://kananaskistrails.com/logging-highwood/2017/

http://www.westernwheel.com/article/...users-20170405
Old 11-19-2017, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidderman View Post
Wow, they better get busy then!! They will have to log the entire Eastern Slopes, and probably should change the laws to allow logging in all the mountain parks that have trees!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by greendrake View Post
Forests have stood for eons with no fires but you make it sound like its going to happen soon anyways. Flawed logic at best.
And fires have occurred naturally for eons, also!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
Someone please explain how logging stops forest fires. When it is hot and dry with strong winds a forest fire burns everything including cut blocks over run with grass and logging waste. Yes forests come back after logging in about 100-150 years.
It doesn't stop forest fires, and you are right.... cut blocks provide kindling with all the slash and tiny little trees.

Quote:
I agree sustainable and responsible logging can be a good idea. However attached is a photo of how logging was done earlier in the year in the area 10 km south of the Highwood Junction.
I guess we are amongst the minority if we can't see how lovely that looks!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79ford View Post
How does logging prevent forest fires? The scrub that growns in for the first 40-70 years is a brutal tangle of match sticks and young trees and you have the surrounding forest that doesnt get logged adjacent to that....

You cant actually prevent forest fires, they happen all the time, lighting or idiots can start fires no matter what the forest looks like.

The most resilient stands are the old stands where the trees and dense and large creating a forest floor without much scrubby brush and trees etc. When you hack down the forest you get an even canopy of everything growi g back and it is a carpet of brush and young trees plus all the plants that grow because they have the sun they dont normally get with a mature forest.

Logging does not prevent forest fires, unless you bulldozer the mountain to bare soil after all the stuff that grows back in burns... that scrubby second growth stuff burns pretty good. Logging generally attracts beetles etc too to the 'leave stands' as well as the edges of blocks where trees get stressed and scared up from logging. The bugs propogate it the stressed/scarred trees then infest neighbouring trees. Logging kinda dries areas out too which stresses trees and encourages beetles which i turn leads to more fire possibility. I see this because i have grown up in a forestry community and have been out in the same bushes for 27 years and witnessed the changes through out time in different areas.
^^^ YES!!! EXACTLY!!

Saving one animal won't change the world, but the world will change for that one animal!

Old 11-19-2017, 12:38 PM

And then they come in with Roundup and spray the cut block to kill everything but the conifers. You will almost never see an animal use that cut block again for eating.....ok all the animals except the wolves. And those wolves will gladly use it to run far and wide to cover more area also use it to run game to death out i the open. And then the cut blocks get so big and numerous that they butt up against each other at various stages of regrowth, and none of those stages contain trees big enough and in the right topography for animals to over winter and you get the nearly 100% winter kills we have seen in recent years. The old strongholds where game would make it through the worst winters and repopulate from there are gone because that is always the best timber. And then the hunting sucks so you decide to go fishing but the grayling and Athabaska rainbows are all gone because of the flash floods and silt run off from every hillside in the valley being clear cut. Ya I have seen first hand what irresponsible logging does. It's ****ing depressing. Do not and I repeat do not buy into the false security of these blanket statements on how great logging is. There is a very fine line.

Last edited by ROA; 11-19-2017 at 12:54 PM.
Old 11-19-2017, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by molly View Post
Wow, they better get busy then!! They will have to log the entire Eastern Slopes, and probably should change the laws to allow logging in all the mountain parks that have trees!!

And fires have occurred naturally for eons, also!

It doesn't stop forest fires, and you are right.... cut blocks provide kindling with all the slash and tiny little trees.

I guess we are amongst the minority if we can't see how lovely that looks!!!

^^^ YES!!! EXACTLY!!
Tells me all I need to know on your knowledge of forest fire behaviors ....as well as the benefits of logging
Like agrueing with a wall....pointless
Judging from some of the above posts, you aren't alone though, take comfort in that
Old 11-19-2017, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don K View Post
Exactly. No issue with logging if it's done with respect. It does **** me off that we let BC companies in to log and take Albertas trees though.

There was a bunch of trees that a BC contractor cut by our place and hauled out for put of province processing too. How about let us put a pipeline through or get the hell out... Venting a little...
Don't worry, I heard you can use some of the lumber from those logs in BC in the house you guys are working on in Invermere this week 😂😂
Old 11-19-2017, 03:45 PM
Banned

I'm not anti-logging and as others have said - the trees need to come somewhere. Perhaps that somewhere should be fast growing pine on private lands in the US vs high tourism value eastern slopes within 1 hour of a city of a million people.

Alberta should assess for each bit of crown land what is its highest and best value. I'm guessing exporting skinny logs is not it.

If it is logged, Albertans should demand the absolutely best standards including visual buffers, patches of residual trees scattered through the block (leave about 30% of the mature timber). Better for wildlife, and better for aesthetics.

Old school foresters clearcutting and saying thats the only way to do it are not telling the truth.
Old 11-19-2017, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bighorn River View Post
I'm not anti-logging and as others have said - the trees need to come somewhere. Perhaps that somewhere should be fast growing pine on private lands in the US vs high tourism value eastern slopes within 1 hour of a city of a million people.

Alberta should assess for each bit of crown land what is its highest and best value. I'm guessing exporting skinny logs is not it.

If it is logged, Albertans should demand the absolutely best standards including visual buffers, patches of residual trees scattered through the block (leave about 30% of the mature timber). Better for wildlife, and better for aesthetics.

Old school foresters clearcutting and saying thats the only way to do it are not telling the truth.
LOL, No one wants the US's crappy yellow pine and Albertas skinny logs have the tightest growth rings and provide some of the strongest finest lumber on the market.
Old 11-19-2017, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Give it five years that will be the best animal habitat around good to see the forest being used
Old 11-20-2017, 08:17 AM

I fully support logging, weeellll technically everyone fully supports logging even if they don't haha!

Lumber and paper are about as important to society as coal, natural gas, oil and hydro power are in western canada.

Though i do find it funny when people try to say things like it creates habitat or controls wildfires etc....it does not create habitat the habitat is already there you just take the trees off it and replace them with tiny ones, wildfires....well they are pretty wild, no real stopping that, doesnt seem to be working in bc and thhey have mowed down a good half of their forest lol

Forestry is great in the fact it really doesnt contaminate or destroy an area permenantly. You can still slug down a jug of water from a creek no mater how much logging goes on on the hillside.