Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 06-02-2024, 09:44 AM

Default A pheseant tail, the trout killer

Hi guys
Here is a photo of some pheseant tails. No box should be with out them as they work all year, they are heavy and sink like crazy. I add lead behind the bead to hold the bead in place and give exra weght. The diameter of the lead depends on the size of the fly. I coat the lead in in a thick layer of glue. Wire works but is 1/2 the weght of lead. I use red thread most of the time. It tells me I have extra weight on the hook. I use orange beads or orange thread as hot spots. HOT SPOTS ON FLIES ARE ESENTIAL AT TIMES. The hook sizes very fron 16 to 10. Most comon size is a #14. All scud hooks. 2x srong if at all possible. ( #2457's) I use black, red and natural brown phesean tail for the feather. Most patterns are tied with a gold bead, but as you can see, not always. I use these in lakes and rivers, they are deadly.
BJay
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pheseant tail flies 2.jpg (55.6 KB, 326 views)

Last edited by Bjay; 06-02-2024 at 09:48 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 06-02-2024, 06:21 PM

Smile They look great!

I'm ashamed to show mine. After years of tying them and living in Alberta for 50 years, I now tie caddis dry and hoppers, both elk hair and over the years they look a lot the same.

I keep hearing my grandfather's admonition, "careful wading and presentation work better than anything else" I amd sure that he was right!

Very nice work!
Old 06-02-2024, 09:48 PM

I dunno, I prefer to use pheasant tails instead of pheseant tails.
Old 06-03-2024, 07:48 AM

Default Spelling

Opps
At 82 you would think I had learned to spell. Can't spell, but can still tie flies but even that seams to be slipping a bit. BUT, I do catch way more fish that I did when i was younger.
BJ
Old 06-03-2024, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjay View Post
Opps
At 82 you would think I had learned to spell. Can't spell, but can still tie flies but even that seams to be slipping a bit. BUT, I do catch way more fish that I did when i was younger.
BJ
Good on ya. I'll be 82 this October and still hope to tie flies and fish for many (well at least a few) more years! Maybe I'll even figure out how to post pictures on the forum.
Old 06-03-2024, 08:41 AM

Pheasant tails are a staple in my fly boxes. Here is one I tied, BH pheasant tail flash back. Last pic is my nymph box I completed a short while ago. 134 ready to go and starting on the next box.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1000001085.jpg (30.6 KB, 147 views)
File Type: jpg 1000001089.jpg (30.5 KB, 146 views)
File Type: jpg 1000001287.jpg (98.0 KB, 156 views)
Old 06-03-2024, 10:18 AM

I never use pheasant tail for the tailing of nymphs (or anything else). I find them weak and not very durable. I substitute almost anything else for the tails (mostly coq de leon).
Old 06-03-2024, 11:37 PM

Holy crap Albtuff do you loose a lot of flies or do you just like to tie???
I have a lot of flies but yours are way more neat than mine. My boxes just arn't layed out as nice a yours. Looks excellent. Very nicely tied.
Bjay
Old 06-04-2024, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjay View Post
Holy crap Albtuff do you loose a lot of flies or do you just like to tie???
I have a lot of flies but yours are way more neat than mine. My boxes just arn't layed out as nice a yours. Looks excellent. Very nicely tied.
Bjay
Well I have decorated a few trees with flies before.
I enjoy tying during the winter months, tied about 500+ this last winter. Thank you for the comments, I have OCD when it comes to my fly fishing gear, everything has its place.
Old 06-11-2024, 09:20 PM

Default decorating trees

Hi
If you are wading on the rivers a lot it might be to your advantage to get a single hand spey line and really learn to use it. They are wonderfull in tight places and they make it real easy to cast with only a short bit of the line out.
Mine have a 28 foot head and that makes it cast lik a rocket. Doing a short roll cast is a breeze. With practice you can learn to roll cast 60 feet of line easilly.
Not so good on lakes as the line tends to curl up if left on still water due to the thickness.
I use mine on the lake also when using a strike indicator as it cast so well and just put up with the curllng problem.
A short 35 or 36 foot head may nor curl as much as the 28 foot head. I havn't tried a 35 foot head yet.
Cheers
Bjay
Old 06-16-2024, 11:14 AM

ALBTUFF, real nice box of nymphs. I can still remember the first fish I caught on my hand tied fly. Beauty Rocky on the RDR.

k
Old 06-17-2024, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keeks View Post
ALBTUFF, real nice box of nymphs. I can still remember the first fish I caught on my hand tied fly. Beauty Rocky on the RDR.

k
Thanks Keeks. Stay turned I am just finishing another nymph box. I just started tying back in Nov. 2023 and I have really been enjoying it.