Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 08-30-2008, 05:57 PM

Default My first hunt. A BBJ story.

Its official I am going hunting this year .Picked up my tags , today Got a mule deer tag and a Whitetail tag, and come October I will get my bird license. Im super excited , told redneck posse When I get home I was going to start a new Thread in the hunting section. So for all I am a newbie brand new to hunt although Ive been shooting Bow since I was 9 years old. As Redneck posse can confirm Minus the 2 busted arrows , I did pretty well at the range today.

This is a first time that Im actually getting to go out and hunt. Getting to Harvest my own animal . I get the blood a pumping just thinking about it . We are headed to just south and west of Mundare , as I was given permission to hunt on private land of my friend who has a farm out that way. I have gone on hunts with other friends in past , like a great moose hunt , that was amazing to watch . Also been on a few other deer and goose hunts .

As I will be using a bow , no rifle for me yet this year. Maybe next year If I truly want to get into hunting , Just like fishing. I still wont stop fishing to hunt just means less tackle in the truck to make room for my bow and day pack and so on. Look forward to all comments .

Once again Id like to thank Redneck posse (Kevin ) for taking me on this trip. I hope we see lots of animals and have some great success.

BBJ
Old 08-30-2008, 06:08 PM

yeah john did real good today every time he released a arrow he hit the wall 30 yards away. all joking aside he did real good took about 8 arrows and he was putting his arrows in half a playing card every shot. really looking forward to getting john his first animal. been thinking about dusting off the camcorder and taping it for him.all we have to work on is the case of buck fever hes going to get. he just vibrates when he talks about getting his deer. don't know who is going to be more excited him or me.
Old 08-30-2008, 06:42 PM

Hey BBJ, you cant catch any fish on the nsr, so i would put bets on you bagging a deer this year! Anyone up for any bets? Seriously good luck BBJ! BTW i caught 5 sturgeon yesterday morning......
Old 08-30-2008, 11:45 PM

Holy crap good job Buck . Reason why I dont catch many fish is cus I dont like using a pickrell rig unlike someone else i know just kidding. Im going to ship you a pm me .
Old 08-31-2008, 06:27 AM

Good luck BBJ.

Hope you have a great hunt.
Old 08-31-2008, 11:58 AM

BBJ and RedNeck,

Good luck on your hunts this year! I am sure that this will be the first year of many making some great memories and giving you alot of fodder for story telling and ribbing.

unfortunatly for all of us looking at a picture of BBJ with his first deer will force us to have to look at BBJs mug as well oh well cant be any worse than the avitar with the pike!
Old 08-31-2008, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckmaster View Post
Hey BBJ, you cant catch any fish on the nsr, so i would put bets on you bagging a deer this year! Anyone up for any bets? Seriously good luck BBJ! BTW i caught 5 sturgeon yesterday morning......
Im in for $20

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGBADJOHN View Post
Holy crap good job Buck . Reason why I dont catch many fish is cus I dont like using a pickrell rig unlike someone else i know just kidding. Im going to ship you a pm me .

Yeah, he's bad for those fish monger rigs eh?? damn fish cant get away when they are impaled on a 12/0 quadruple barbed fish snare

Getting the deer hunting shakes eh? i remember what that was like. I was almost gonna retire hunting before the season started...but im gonna give it another year and see if a big buck can change my mind Cant you borrow a rifle or come along on a rifle hunt and use one of thiers?
Old 08-31-2008, 02:45 PM

bigbore he's going to use my 280 when gun season starts. i'll use my 50cal muzzleloader.
Old 08-31-2008, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redneck posse View Post
bigbore he's going to use my 280 when gun season starts. i'll use my 50cal muzzleloader.
Yeah what he said. lol . And then next year if I like hunting with a rifle I will get my PAL and FAC I think thats what the second one is called . And ill pick up a rifle. I am more excited to take an animal with my bow though. Just means I gotta work harder at it and call that nice deer in . Im gettin pumped. Its kinda like suiting up for that big football game. Bloods a pumpin the excitements rolling in. woooooooo. Everyone have a safe a great hunting season, hope you all do well.
Old 08-31-2008, 04:33 PM

Hmmmmmm.........

John and Kevin go hunting, with a bow no less. If that doesn't have 'Deliverance' written all over it, then I don't know what does!

Be safe, good luck, have fun, but for God's sake's DO NOT post photos!

Tree
Old 08-31-2008, 05:14 PM

Tree, that's funny. As long as you two don't get into an argument over who has the prettiest mouth, it's all good. What happens in the bush stays in the bush ( so they say ). Good luck guys hope you do well.

lonewolf
Old 08-31-2008, 05:44 PM

Hey BIGBADJOHN

You better watch out, alot of "REDNECKS" in that Mundare area, if you hear a banjo playing. RUN FOR THE HILLS!!!
Old 08-31-2008, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogsmoker View Post
Hey BIGBADJOHN

You better watch out, alot of "REDNECKS" in that Mundare area, if you hear a banjo playing. RUN FOR THE HILLS!!!
weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeehaw .
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RyKvD-4IxOY followed by

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rR84e...eature=related
Old 08-31-2008, 08:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGBADJOHN View Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yj4LnfkdJDM
Old 09-01-2008, 10:51 AM
Hoochie Papa

Glad to hear you're excited about the hunt BBJ. You are gonna love it.

I'm not gonna comment on the "Deliverance" thing. Not an image I want burned in my memory.

"Mommy..... why was that man making those funny noises?"
Old 09-01-2008, 11:03 AM

why hoochie working on the rigs i thought you would be right at home with funny noises coming from the bunk house
Old 09-01-2008, 11:10 AM
Hoochie Papa

Oh believe me I know those noises. In fact I heard them again last night trying to call in some wandering victims. I wont fall for that again.

Not 4 times in a row I won't.
Old 09-06-2008, 05:21 PM

Default Part 1 of our hunt .

So this is Part one of our hunt .

So today we head to just outside of Bruderheim , to do a little scouting . And we wanted to set up a few targets to take practice with. Anyway we did great shooting .Then we heard movement off to our left threw the bushes .We give a few grunts . And we are dead quiet we hear a little more movement , And the cawing of a blue jay . We block out the blue jay and I grab the binoculars . And I see a deer in the bushes , so we set up Put the broad heads on my arrows and loaded up and went into the bush. So with Redneck on the grunt I go into a stalk . As I see movement ahead of me and I see legs of a deer. As we are trying to get movement to get a good shot come across lots of Very fresh Black bear dung. And I head back to near where Redneck Posse was , and he two saw some fresh bear dung as well as bear tracks . Well Now were hear movement off to our left about 30 yards away so , us two fat guys as quiet on our feet as we can be scoot over to where we hear the noise . Take cover type thing AND ITS A SQUIRL . BUT IM DEFENDING MYSELF HERE AND THAT I SAW A DEER . And actually as we headed back to the truck saw a small doe , run across the cut line .

Heres some pictures from our lovely day out .

Last edited by Don Meredith; 09-07-2008 at 08:17 AM. Reason: inappropriate pics
Old 09-06-2008, 05:44 PM

yeah it was a fun day. put the stock on a squirrel (don't know about the deer he says he saw. i think he was sniffing the tinks69) stepped in fresh bear sh*t. finally started to get some nice groups again. we did see the doe run across the cut line,but it came from the WRONG direction. but as usuall had a blast out with john.
Old 09-06-2008, 06:15 PM

You guys may have had fun, but I'm guessing that poor 3D target is having some regrets though!

Tree
Old 09-06-2008, 07:07 PM

Hawwwwwwwww Hawwwwww... look at her ears... what a howl!!!!

Anyway you pair of twisted individuals, sounds like you had a great day.. good for you both... ( poor doe )... thats all part of bein' a true hunter..
Old 09-06-2008, 08:53 PM
Banned

Lol that 6th pic down is hilarious. Good to see ya havin fun, hope you get a deer! I remember my first deer with the bow, very small doe (not a fawn) but it was sure a big accomplishment for me! Bowhunting sure is addicting, the days you dont come close you feel like you gotta try again, and the days you do come close or get something you want to do it all over again
Old 09-07-2008, 12:29 AM

glad to see ya guys had a good time...it was so funny to see BBJ's face when he got home all painted up and then i saw thos pics i felt so bad for that target....lol jk BBJ
Old 09-07-2008, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBJ'S SISTER View Post
glad to see ya guys had a good time...it was so funny to see BBJ's face when he got home all painted up and then i saw thos pics i felt so bad for that target....lol jk BBJ
You know you can call me John. Your my sister last time I checked . We really had a great time . We are headed out again in the morning . You can come you still got that bow I got you dont you ?
Old 09-07-2008, 04:45 AM

Quote:
You know you can call me John. Your my sister last time I checked
And how do you do this check thing ?

Old 09-07-2008, 07:28 AM

Uh-oh......... HILARIOUS REEVES!!
Old 09-07-2008, 05:39 PM

so today we went out with the 12 gauge, 410 cal, and the 17HMR. (john will have pics later). he was a little leery of the 12 gauge at first, but after a few rounds that's all he wanted to shoot. he did real good with the 17HMR, but i'm kind of worried about letting him shoot the 280. he has a tendency to get a little close to the scope. and i don't think he would like the "kiss" the scope would give him. i think we need a little more time with a scope before i'm comfortable that he wont get kissed. other than some dumb ass driving his dirt bike through where we were shooting TWICE, even after we yelled at him and his buddys what we were doing. it was a good day.
Old 09-07-2008, 06:28 PM

Little John needs da kiss in my opinionlol: he's a big boy and he'd learn real fast on the kiss factor. I did Didn't know what was worst the fact that i did it or the fact my buddy was yelling at me to shoot again (the deer was still there)when i looked at him and said i would if my eyes were'nt watering. then him laughing so hard making me laugh as all's we could do is watch the deer walk off into the trees.

So Lil John after what i seen you doing to that 3D doe ask Redneckposse for your kiss you've earned it

Good luck with the season boys
Old 09-07-2008, 07:28 PM

Default Part 2 of our warm up to - Intruduction to shooting 101 .

Well As I notice they removed the violating of the poor doe . To bad that I couldn't show the youngsters who may check this Thread out What happens . LOL Ok all joking aside now . Besides almost extending my eye ball socket , It was a great day . Yeah at first I wussed out with the 12 gauge , bad experience as a kid. But once I got going I was on fire . The 17 HMR was alot of fun to shoot . Not use to the scope though . I got lots of pictures from today , no animals were harmed in the making of this part 2 story . The 410 was alot of fun to shoot to . I was banging that one off there . At one point I shot 5 for 5 as Mr posse 5 for 3 . But made up for it by loading the 12 gauge and taking out the other 3 . LOL Like I said all day I really enjoy Redneckin with Kevin. He is a great guy , but you gotta lissen to all the story's . Some were good ones , and noted to me that a scope is not a set of binoculars . So then told me a story about one time him hunting a cut line and some fella , Scoping him Thinking he was a deer , in Blaze orange . Its to bad that these fellas on there dirt bikes cant hear the shot of a 12 gauge shot gun , Kind of shocking , So next time we go out making a sign that we will post , Live shooting in progress . It would of been horrible if the fella had gotten in the way of us shooting . I know the shooter has a responsibility to know his surroundings , but this guy not 5 seconds after taking my last shot drove his dirt bike in there and wanted to shoot where , all our busted up clay pigeons were .After that happened we , had a talk with his Buddy's and I don't know If the guy got scared kept going or just wasn't thinking . But his friends layed right into him as well . It was a great day , Warm , but not hot . Ok Ok Ok Less talk more pictures . Here are all the pictures from today .Note that we did clean up all our shells , as they are in the empty clay pigeon box .

Last edited by BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES; 09-07-2008 at 07:41 PM. Reason: added pictures.
Old 09-07-2008, 07:28 PM