Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-26-2017, 08:39 AM

Default Crawling Valley on the weekend

water temp is now 64 F from surface to 15 FOW. I had the family and grandkids out, the fishing was good for smallish walleye, 54 cm. biggest, in low light conditions, Sat. morn, Friday & Sat. evening etc. but wind was a factor, from Friday morn to Sunday morn. The fish tended to be shallower in low light (12 FOW) and deeper 17 FOW in brighter conditions, no surprise there. One group was catching bigger walleye deeper, at 28 FOW, but most folks stayed in the 15 to 20 FOW.

The walleye were as round as footballs, and not super aggressive, seemed a bit scattered, not many doubles, and lots of bites with the minnow tail portion missing. Wish I had / could get smaller minnows!!

But also that may be due to the use of larger hooks, I like the larger size as I tend to get almost 100% side of the mouth hook ups, that makes it easier to the old guty to release them relatively unharmed. Also barbless, and even the 4 year old did not loose a fish that could be attributed to lack of barb.

The smallish pike were aggressive when trolling in shallower / weedy depths.
Old 07-05-2017, 11:07 AM

July 3, 2017....

I was out a couple of days ago. The Walleye were active and nothing big.....all in the 1.5lb - 3 lb range. The pike pretty much in the same weight. A couple of +50cms but mostly in the 18"- 22" size....lots of fight and fun...

We threw pretty much everything we had at them; Spoons to Rapala rattlers.

We had no luck along the dam or in/near the islands on the east side.....That seemed odd as those areas are generally good. Your thoughts??

Watch out for the wind early in the day and late in the day.

Question:
The weeds aren't too bad now but how do they get in a few weeks from now? Do they get a lot worse or does it stay pretty much the same?
Do you find they really wind up the prop?

Thanks,

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.

Last edited by graybeard; 07-05-2017 at 11:13 AM.