Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-10-2017, 10:35 AM
Banned

Default Last mountain lake Saskatchewan

Was thinking about going to this lake, looking for experienced info. Where to camp? Water quality? And most importantly, how's the fishing?
Old 06-10-2017, 10:43 AM

Default Rowan's Ravine

I like Rowan's Ravine for large Jack in front of the marina, for Walleye go North from Maple grove to the bible camp. Across the lake at white rock is good for walleye as well. Father to the South (6 miles) across from Glen harbour is a inlet locally referred to as the stone barn although all that's left of the barn is the foundation great place for walleye.
Rowan's Ravine park has camping and cabins available.

Last edited by bat119; 06-10-2017 at 10:51 AM.
Old 06-10-2017, 10:51 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat119 View Post
I like Rowan's Ravine for large Jack in front of the marina, for Walleye go North from Maple grove to the bible camp. Across the lake at white rock is good for walleye as well. Father to the South (6 miles) across from Glen harbour is a inlet locally referred to as the stone barn although all that's left of the barn is the foundation great place for walleye.
That's great info, thanks. Are the beaches nice for the kids?
Old 06-10-2017, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
That's great info, thanks. Are the beaches nice for the kids?
On the point there is a large sandy beach perfect for kids swimming, perch can be caught by standing in the lake with a fishing rod although the perch aren't as plentiful as they once were. People fish for suckers on the north side of the point some reach 25 lbs. The lake is long and narrow can be rough when the winds are up walleye over 10 lbs, are not uncommon.

I should mention the HI way from Bulyea to the park is rough and under construction most of the time
Old 06-10-2017, 12:30 PM

Fish'in canada has a TV show this morning on last Mountain catching nice pike and walleye
Old 06-10-2017, 12:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzzy View Post
Fish'in canada has a TV show this morning on last Mountain catching nice pike and walleye
I was watching that, that's how I heard about it lol!
Old 06-10-2017, 01:28 PM

Quote:
On the point there is a large sandy beach perfect for kids swimming, perch can be caught by standing in the lake with a fishing rod although the perch aren't as plentiful as they once were. People fish for suckers on the north side of the point some reach 25 lbs. The lake is long and narrow can be rough when the winds are up walleye over 10 lbs, are not uncommon.

I should mention the HI way from Bulyea to the park is rough and under construction most of the time
Not suckers, they're carp, and yes they get big in that lake. Used to catch them in Imperial Creek.
Old 06-10-2017, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habfan View Post
Not suckers, they're carp, and yes they get big in that lake. Used to catch them in Imperial Creek.
We catch Buffalo fish in Last Mountain

Ictiobus
Ictiobus, also known as buffalo fish or simply buffalo, is a genus of freshwater fish common in the United States, but also found in Canada, Mexico and Guatemala. They are the largest North American suckers, reaching up to 1.23 m in length. They are sometimes mistaken for carp because of the flat face and large, silver scales running along the body, though they lack the whisker-like mouth appendages common to carp. Buffalo fish live in most types of freshwater bodies where panfish are found, such as ponds, creeks, rivers, and lakes. Ictiobus was caught by the Lewis and Clark Expedition.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ictiobus
Old 06-10-2017, 06:16 PM

Suckers, carp and big mouth buffalo are all present in last mountain lake
Old 06-10-2017, 07:18 PM

Quote:
We catch Buffalo fish in Last Mountain

Ictiobus
Ictiobus, also known as buffalo fish or simply buffalo, is a genus of freshwater fish common in the United States, but also found in Canada, Mexico and Guatemala. They are the largest North American suckers, reaching up to 1.23 m in length. They are sometimes mistaken for carp because of the flat face and large, silver scales running along the body, though they lack the whisker-like mouth appendages common to carp. Buffalo fish live in most types of freshwater bodies where panfish are found, such as ponds, creeks, rivers, and lakes. Ictiobus was caught by the Lewis and Clark Expedition.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ictiobus
I caught carp !!
Old 07-05-2017, 11:19 PM

How does on catch carp and suckers there?

Regina Beach to the south has a larger beach for the kids but kind of on wrong side. The scenery can be nice too . Its probably a 15 -30 minute boat ride - im guessing to Glen Harbour. I know RB has rental cabins at the top of centre street.

The highway was fixed north of where the 322 highway forks to the NW. It switched to gravel half up to Glen Harbour. Im not sure about futher than Glen Harbour. My daughter was at Girl Guide camp there this past week.

Last edited by 220 Swift; 07-05-2017 at 11:38 PM.
Old 07-05-2017, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Thats good to know on the stone barn. I find the fishing pressure to the south at Regina Beach is tougher asof all the people coming out of the city.