Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-28-2009, 08:06 AM

Default Spruce grove gun club

Well....I've been a fan of S.G.G.C. for a long time now. The last cpl of years it's been hard. In the last 16 Wks only four Sundays have been available to members on Rifle 1 (the main rifle range). Every other Sunday was taken up by special interest groups. This is very dissapointing. I guess I could shoot during the week after work, but it is not that easy for me to do...or I guess I could have shot Saturdays (if they wern't also booked to the S.I. groups) but that is the one day of the week that I have to get the household domestics done.

Range 1 is great. The best benches around. Rifle 2 is not, and that's what the general membership is expected to use during an event. I've seen 20 or 25 guys waiting to shoot (beause there is an event on) on Rifle 2 where a max of 10 is realistic.

The only reason I renewed this year is to shoot clays, five stand, which is being run buy a great guy, Grant Kirkup, who payed for the machines and clays himself.

Anyway, frustrated and disapointed, I don't know if I will renew again......
Old 09-28-2009, 09:16 AM

Default Sggc

What did they say when you told them about your problem at their (Your) meeting? They do have meetings, dont they, and you attend, right? They are probably so busy trying to keep your gunrange afloat that they have no idea of what you speak of. Go to a meeting and let them know. No one can read your mind.
Old 09-28-2009, 10:19 AM

They know. Obviously no one can read my mind....or you would have known that I have already talked to the club several times.
Old 06-07-2012, 02:34 PM

I have begun to become very frustratrated it seems every time i go for a day of shooting there is a event going on even if i check the schedule its always booked its pretty bad when paying members can not even shoot at there own range.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACKLEY ABE View Post
Well....I've been a fan of S.G.G.C. for a long time now. The last cpl of years it's been hard. In the last 16 Wks only four Sundays have been available to members on Rifle 1 (the main rifle range). Every other Sunday was taken up by special interest groups. This is very dissapointing. I guess I could shoot during the week after work, but it is not that easy for me to do...or I guess I could have shot Saturdays (if they wern't also booked to the S.I. groups) but that is the one day of the week that I have to get the household domestics done.

Range 1 is great. The best benches around. Rifle 2 is not, and that's what the general membership is expected to use during an event. I've seen 20 or 25 guys waiting to shoot (beause there is an event on) on Rifle 2 where a max of 10 is realistic.

The only reason I renewed this year is to shoot clays, five stand, which is being run buy a great guy, Grant Kirkup, who payed for the machines and clays himself.

Anyway, frustrated and disapointed, I don't know if I will renew again......
Old 06-07-2012, 03:58 PM

Rifle 1 - the only place to shoot center fire rifles aside from indoor range (which is also often booked) has been booked June 4,5,6,7,8,9,10. Yes, that's 7 days in a row. A little excessive, no?

Technically, the range was available from 7:30-9pm but RKS international still had a metric but-load of equipment downrange and spent the time trying to collect it all.

After this spat, it's unbooked for a while.

It's frustrating I agree. I have been sticking with rimfire on rifle 2. Things would be a lot better if Rifle 2 could be certified for center fire...
Old 06-07-2012, 04:30 PM

i stopped going to that range about 6 years ago for this exact reason....and it wasnt half as bad back then as it is today.

its not going to get better...guys have been complaining about this for a LONG time and nothing gets rectified.

if i didnt have my own room to shoot at home i would be a member of the Sherwood park range...cleanest and most professionally run range around edmonton IMO...ive held memberships at them all and that was the only one that didnt disappoint....even if i had to drive past genessee and spruce grove to get to it
Old 06-07-2012, 09:00 PM

Well there were about 8 members using Rifle 2 this evening. Beautiful weather and everyone was being quite friendly and safe.

It was very enjoyable.

Until....

One of the Americans (I've chatted with him, know where he's from) dog ran out onto the range all the way down to 100 yards. The American's wife decides to chase after him and after calling the dog back near the shooting benches ventures out onto the range about 5-6 feet despite being warned that there were rifles on the bench. Although no one was shooting, there was a marlin with a loaded tubular magazine which can't be unloaded instantly so the best option was just to step away from it.

I think people living on the range in motor homes for a week is a bit...strange and dangerous.
Old 06-11-2012, 08:35 PM

I was there bright and early on Monday morning (this morning). The week long occupation of all centerfire rifle ranges by that U.S. group is over and it seems I was the first member on the range.

What. A. Mess.

Holy hell, garbage EVERYWHERE in rifle one. food wrappers, file folders with RKS international written on the, garbage laying all over the ground.

It took about an hour and a half of solid cleanup to make the range usable again.

Absolutely disgusting. I hope they contributed a lot of $$$$ to the range for the amount of inconvenience to the members and the huge mess they made...