Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 07-17-2012, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jryley View Post
Fair enough based on the picture. Didnt you say it was a full on lake
Though? Youve never ever had one bird take a light hit a glide a few hundred yards past your wading point? Unless im missing something? I know of a couple "lakes" in wmu 232 that are more 3 foot deep giant sloughs than actual lakes....i understand if thats the case. I guess the waders thing in a big body of water just doesnt make sense to me. To walk through even a few feet of water to go after a bird 2 or 300 yards away that was wounded would take an eternity in my eyes and kind of goes against common sense in a real life practical hunting situation. Youd spend more time wading through water than actually calling and shooting.
#1Thats not frank lake
#2 Ive never lost birds to deep water
#3 I have had some winged birds go Far away and your right I am spending alot of energy and time after them.

-Ive seen guys with dogs wing birds that fly 600 yards out into the lake then Fall dead! You think there dog went and got them?

-for someone to say hunting waterfowl on water without a dog should be or is illegal because that person thinks they arent properly retrieving there birds, because they dont have a dog,is bar none one of the dumbest things ive ever heard on this forum!
Old 07-17-2012, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetail Junkie View Post
#1Thats not frank lake
#2 Ive never lost birds to deep water
#3 I have had some winged birds go Far away and your right I am spending alot of energy and time after them.

-Ive seen guys with dogs wing birds that fly 600 yards out into the lake then Fall dead! You think there dog went and got them?

-for someone to say hunting waterfowl on water without a dog should be or is illegal because that person thinks they arent properly retrieving there birds, because they dont have a dog,is bar none one of the dumbest things ive ever heard on this forum!
Hmmm, could someone actually point out where anyone said waterfowl hunting on water should be illegal without a dog. Maybe I missed it but no one said that on this thread that I saw. hell I never even saw a post that would even suggest any thing remotely close to that statement.

Boy I sure wish my eye sight or that of my dogs would allow me to see a duck that after being shot fly 600 yards and then falls dead. I know that would be a stretch for me, hell thats over 1/2 a klm, you guys that can see a duch drop from that distance either have bionic or possibly magic eyes. On the other hand if a half decent dog saw the bird fall 600 yards away that would not be a problem retrieve. Any huntin dog worth his salt could make a retrieve like that in his sleep, if a good dog can see it he will retrieve it. A great dog on the other hand will retrieve it even if he can't see it, he just needs to be close enough to hear the whistle commands.

Then take it one step further what about ducks that fall in heavy cover or cat tails, I don't care how much magic you can do the only way you find all those ducks is with a dog. I can't agree more with the poster that talked about his dogs retrieving ducks that he didn't shoot. Anyone that hunts with a hound has those stories.

In any event can you hunt ducks without a dog, of course you can, can you ethically hunt ducks on a lake or a giant slough without an alternative or a certain method of retrieving your kill....well that depends on your ethics.
Old 07-17-2012, 04:25 PM

Now back to original progamming, while I don't waterfowl much anymore as myself and my dog prefer upland, a good public access area on crown land that is hardly a secret is namaka lake/slough east of Calgary....watched a lot of sunsets there years ago. But get there early in the season because after a few weeks that 600 yrd shot will be up not out...
Old 07-17-2012, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapper View Post
Hmmm, could someone actually point out where anyone said waterfowl hunting on water should be illegal without a dog. Maybe I missed it but no one said that on this thread that I saw. hell I never even saw a post that would even suggest any thing remotely close to that statement.

Boy I sure wish my eye sight or that of my dogs would allow me to see a duck that after being shot fly 600 yards and then falls dead. I know that would be a stretch for me, hell thats over 1/2 a klm, you guys that can see a duch drop from that distance either have bionic or possibly magic eyes. On the other hand if a half decent dog saw the bird fall 600 yards away that would not be a problem retrieve. Any huntin dog worth his salt could make a retrieve like that in his sleep, if a good dog can see it he will retrieve it. A great dog on the other hand will retrieve it even if he can't see it, he just needs to be close enough to hear the whistle commands.

Then take it one step further what about ducks that fall in heavy cover or cat tails, I don't care how much magic you can do the only way you find all those ducks is with a dog. I can't agree more with the poster that talked about his dogs retrieving ducks that he didn't shoot. Anyone that hunts with a hound has those stories.

In any event can you hunt ducks without a dog, of course you can, can you ethically hunt ducks on a lake or a giant slough without an alternative or a certain method of retrieving your kill....well that depends on your ethics.
As A matter of fact ive got 20\10 vision...

further more from your comment on your last post,that body of water in my picture does have a boat launch on it,aswell Holds alot of perch,pike and walleye that I catch year round on the other end of the lake,which is 30 feet deep,unlike the area I hunt waterfowl in.....

To impley that I dont have good ethics as a hunter,because I hunt waterfowl without a Dog is insulting!

Last edited by whitetail Junkie; 07-17-2012 at 04:44 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-18-2012, 09:22 AM

how about we just get back on topic. It is very very easy to hunt ducks on big water using chest waters. Pick your shots, walk out get your bird. Pretty simple. I have hunted like this my whole life. Common sense people.

One a plus not, only a little over a month to go. Can't wait.
Old 07-18-2012, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetail Junkie View Post
As A matter of fact ive got 20\10 vision...

further more from your comment on your last post,that body of water in my picture does have a boat launch on it,aswell Holds alot of perch,pike and walleye that I catch year round on the other end of the lake,which is 30 feet deep,unlike the area I hunt waterfowl in.....

To imply that I dont have good ethics as a hunter,because I hunt waterfowl without a Dog is insulting!
Here we go again, you seem to have a issue reading the thread, first of all no one suggested, waterfowl hunting without a dog should be illegal, still don't know where that one came from, maybe you can enlighten us. Secondly I certainly never brought into question of your hunting ethics, if anything you opened the door on that one yourself. All I said as a general comment about ethics made referance to making sure a hunter could retrieve the fowl killed so my comments should not of insulted you. Seems to me you kind of worked yourself back into a corner with your magic comment. The rest of us were just asking a couple questions about your methods.

In any event your method of duck hunting is your method, I certainly don't have a problem with it. As far as ethics go I am not about to question your's clearly you are a very active and successful hunter and sportsman.
Old 07-18-2012, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnake View Post
how about we just get back on topic. It is very very easy to hunt ducks on big water using chest waters. Pick your shots, walk out get your bird. Pretty simple. I have hunted like this my whole life. Common sense people.

One a plus not, only a little over a month to go. Can't wait.
44 days left
Old 07-18-2012, 11:29 AM

what is the water situation like up by edmonton with all that rain, are the crops distroyed or what. I have heard on the news about all the floods
Old 07-18-2012, 12:56 PM

[QUOTE=scrapper;1524076]Hmm casting some sort of a hook at a cripple 75 yards away and moving, trouble with that method you would spend the whole day on a retrieve and not hunting, besides that I want to shake the hand of any man that can cast a hook over 50 yards accurately at a moving target....I guess that must be the magic were hearing about.[/QUO

Well thats the problem, u spend more time retrieveing then u do hunting, happened numerous times to me u would down birds and be wasting time trying to retrieve with rod, or even waders, i would always wait till the action slowed down but this problem is always gonna come up.

I guess best choice is to have a good dog and the rest is history.
Old 07-18-2012, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just lucky View Post
The type of duck whitetail junkie shoots are the type that ususaly fly in and land next to his feet and quack at him. He has no problem pickin them up.
LOL
Old 07-24-2012, 07:55 PM

Thanks to everybody who responded

Ill take your advice and give it my best shot!!
Old 07-24-2012, 08:06 PM
Gone Hunting

Easy fix....put on some miles, meet some Land owners, do some field shoots and don't chase them out of their roosting areas...WIN/WIN!!!!!