Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-13-2018, 12:32 AM

Default Best sonar under 1500

Hey guys just looking for a bit of input from actual fishermen instead of salesman. If you had a 1500 dollar budget what would you buy for a 'finder. I got a decent unit as it is but would like to upgrade. I'm not interested in the cards and chips and stuff that links into your phone and trolling motor etc. I just want a nice unit that shows detail maybe side image etc. I know where the fish should be just would like a sonar that confirms that. Thanks.
Old 05-13-2018, 08:36 AM

There is some cool stuff out there in that price range by all 3 majors right now. There are a few good slightly used pieces available too. I believed walleyedude has one or 2 Lowrances available. If he doesn't chime in pm him as he takes good care of his stuff and just replaces often. On Facebook there is a couple of the more expensive units there in that price range too walleyedudes being one I saw there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikeman06 View Post
Hey guys just looking for a bit of input from actual fishermen instead of salesman. If you had a 1500 dollar budget what would you buy for a 'finder. I got a decent unit as it is but would like to upgrade. I'm not interested in the cards and chips and stuff that links into your phone and trolling motor etc. I just want a nice unit that shows detail maybe side image etc. I know where the fish should be just would like a sonar that confirms that. Thanks.
Old 05-13-2018, 09:30 AM

I have an extra Hds 7 and Hds 9 Both Gen 3 I am selling if you are interested. Both new in the box. I also have a lss1 structure scan module and transducer for sale.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 05-13-2018, 11:10 AM

Higher end fish finders offer you the following.

1) Larger screens
2) Side imaging and in really high end units capability for 3d imaging, 360 imaging or panoptix. You might be able to afford a unit with that capability but it will still cost significantly more to add those features on.
3) Mapping ability, most units can create maps in some way or another but the ability to use 2 sd cards is nice and live mapping is also nice.
4) Functionality such as touch screen, customization of screen layout etc.

Side imaging is what makes things pricey, it requires a more expensive transducer and if you want side imaging you need at least a 7 inch screen to be able to see details decently and preferably a 9+ inch.

If you want a 9 inch side imaging capable unit then the 2 best units in your price range would be an Lowrance Elite Ti 9($1350 - $100 rebate at the moment) or Garmin Echomap Plus 95SV($1500). Humminbird Helix 9 SI is a bit above your price range at ($1740).

Humminbird has what they call mega SI which is by far the best quality side imaging quality available. To get similar with Lowrance you have to step up to their 3d structure scan which is $1390 alone and is only usable on HDS unit which are another 2 grand. Garmin does not have equivalent side imaging. The Humminbird is also only unit that has 2 sd card slots and its live mapping software not only maps contours but also weeds and bottom hardness(something neither the Lowrance Sonarcharts Live or Garmin Quickdraw do). The Helix 9 is also compatible with 360 imaging if you ever decided to go crazy and upgrade more. So although it is above your price range it has a couple features that arguably make up for its higher price.

The Elite Ti is a good unit. I have the 7 inch version and like it although I wish I would have ponied up the extra coin for a 9 inch. Live mapping requires an active Navionics subscription which costs 99 USD each year. Both Humminbird and Garmin do not require a subscription although with Humminbird you will want to buy a zero lines card($130) to store data on. The advantage Elite Ti has over Humminbird is that it is touch screen and the screen display is highly customizable(sizing views, displaying information where you want it displayed etc). The Elite Ti is not compatible with Lowrances 3d imaging. In short the Elite Ti is a great introduction to higher end fish finders and would give you an idea if it is good enough for what you need or if you would want to consider upgrading to a higher end unit in the future.

I haven't used a Garmin unit so don't know as much about them but the Echomap 95SV should also be a good unit. Side imaging, live mapping, touch screen(also highly customizable), panoptix capable etc.

Then there are used options as well as others have mentioned. Just make sure to note what model/generation the unit is and research what capability it has.

Picking which brand/model to go with is like a Ford/Chevy/Dodge discussion. They all have their advantages and disadvantages and depending on how you fish and what technology you prefer you may like one better then the others.
Old 05-13-2018, 12:29 PM

Thanks for your input. Ken I'll probaby end up sending you a message once I do my final bit of research.
Old 05-13-2018, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikeman06 View Post
Thanks for your input. Ken I'll probaby end up sending you a message once I do my final bit of research.
Ken is sellig a couple excellent units. Depending on his price you’ll get a top notch unit for a good price.

Before reading what was said, my answer was going to be a Lowrance Elite Ti 9 with totalscan. Runs around $1450 usually.

Either unit you get of these two, donthe ipdate and get the new Fish Reveal that Lowrance just released. What an awesome touch. Fish arches from the 2D screen layer over on the Downscan imaging page. It’s a game changer
Old 05-14-2018, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygringo View Post
There is some cool stuff out there in that price range by all 3 majors right now. There are a few good slightly used pieces available too. I believed walleyedude has one or 2 Lowrances available. If he doesn't chime in pm him as he takes good care of his stuff and just replaces often. On Facebook there is a couple of the more expensive units there in that price range too walleyedudes being one I saw there.
Unfortunately, I sold my units last week.

My suggestion would be the Lowrance Elite 9 TI if you want to buy a new unit. In my opinion, Lowrance has the best 2D sonar, and if your primary concern is marking fish and detail on standard sonar, the Elite series is excellent. Touch screen, high resolution, bright, and very user friendly. It also has the ability to do all that other stuff - map cards/chips, trolling motor control, WIFI, etc... should you ever want it in the future. The version with a TotalScan transducer (Side imaging and Down imaging) is about $1350, and there's a $100 rebate available until the end of May. If you decide to go with the Elite 9, send me a PM, I'll give you some options on transducer upgrades that might be worth it to you and keep you under $1500.

The other option, which is equally good or better in my opinion, is to do what Calgarygringo is suggesting, and look around for a good used unit. A HDS Gen3 9" unit or even a Carbon 9" unit or HDS Gen3 12" unit might be in your budget or right on the edge of it if you shop around and find the right deal. The biggest advantage is the ability to network the HDS units together via ethernet, so if that's not something you're ever likely to do, then the Elite TI units are very close in performance.
Old 05-14-2018, 04:50 PM

I am getting a bunch of pm's about mine, so the hds7 is $800 And the 9 is $1250. Both are new never mounted. I have 1 transducer for $65. All wiring and brackets included.

I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 05-16-2018, 10:12 PM