Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-07-2018, 07:45 PM

The weather didn't scare anyone off. After waiting for 10 minutes in the line up to park, I decided that the hall would be full before we got to the door so my dad and I left. The parking lot was full and two police vehicles were positioned on highway 22 with the lights on directing traffic. There was traffic parked on the side of the road for 1/2 mile in each direction and highway 22 was backed up in both directions for a couple hundred yards. I was very surprised at the amount of people there. Hopefully we get a good synopsis of what went down.

Gerry Burnie
Old 02-08-2018, 09:36 AM

This on CBC this am. Specifically targeting OHV's. No mention of hunting whatsoever.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...-bid-1.4525775
Old 02-08-2018, 11:24 AM

Couldn’t make it last night due to work but the wife watched a bit as someone was live-streaming the meeting. Looked like a good turnout, I do not for a second believe that restrictions will stop with ohv’s and camping if it goes forward. I consider this area my home away from home and have done a fair share of trail maintenance out there. Would be a sad day for sure. I too would like to see more enforcement, just need to come up with a way.
Old 02-08-2018, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocpilefsj View Post
Couldn’t make it last night due to work but the wife watched a bit as someone was live-streaming the meeting. Looked like a good turnout, I do not for a second believe that restrictions will stop with ohv’s and camping if it goes forward. I consider this area my home away from home and have done a fair share of trail maintenance out there. Would be a sad day for sure. I too would like to see more enforcement, just need to come up with a way.
I think it's a case of the decision is already made, and they do these consults for show. Sucks.
Old 02-08-2018, 11:54 AM

Basically what Jason Nixon said, ultimately they are outvoted. It is the secrecy that nobody likes, should be an informed study done and a decision made with all the facts, not a knee jerk reaction based on the opinions of any one side.
Old 02-08-2018, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarmac View Post
This on CBC this am. Specifically targeting OHV's. No mention of hunting whatsoever.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...-bid-1.4525775

no mention of status quo or changes. correct.

not now. don't want to get any more opposition to this plan at the start.

they can do that later, slowly, as not to raise any attention to what they ultimately want to do.

once they designate anything a "park", even wildland, they can tailor the management plan any way they want.

like make it separate WMU, and restrict or eliminate hunting. Draws instead of general tags, et.
Old 02-08-2018, 12:19 PM

I felt like this meeting was just a courtesy call I don't think it would mater if 10000 people showed up or just ten they have a plan and there going to push it throught
Old 02-08-2018, 12:20 PM

I hope I am not right
Old 02-08-2018, 01:03 PM

Since Jason Nixon was there any mention of if they would reverse the decision to make this a park if the ndp push this through? Seeing’s as the ndp seems to be doing all this stuff in spite of what public who actually use and care about the area say. This area is easily fixed, simply hire a couple more f&w and enforce existing laws
Old 02-08-2018, 07:10 PM

A friend of mine who works closely with SRD told me that this isn't an NDP issue; the problem lies with the SRD biologists who have an agenda with absolutely no data to back it up. These proposals are 100% about idealology and have nothing to do with science or popular opinion.

Gerry Burnie
Old 02-08-2018, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC View Post
A friend of mine who works closely with SRD told me that this isn't an NDP issue; the problem lies with the SRD biologists who have an agenda with absolutely no data to back it up. These proposals are 100% about idealology and have nothing to do with science or popular opinion.
Has y2y then infiltrated srd to the point they are dictating policy from within?!if that is the case it is something that needs to be addressed from the political level. I would suggest that it may be a combination of the two, Phillips is a huge y2y supporter so it stands to reason that there would be a correlation with why these have just recently popped up
Old 02-08-2018, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC View Post
As much as this hearsay, I believe it!! Biologists in this province are from a different planet!!

And by no means do I support NDP.
Old 02-10-2018, 10:02 AM
Banned

Well here it is.

http://lethbridgeherald.com/news/let...ntral-alberta/

Quote:
With the Castle River wilderness now protected as a provincial park, a conservation group is recommending a new park be established in central Alberta as well.

The Canadian Parks and Wilderness Society is urging a wildland park be created in the Bighorn area west of Rocky Mountain House. The area is the source of Edmonton’s water supply, advocates say, as well as the habitat of endangered species like grizzly bears.

“This is about creating more parks and protected areas and places that we love, and that are part of our outdoor heritage,”
Old 02-10-2018, 05:30 PM

My understanding of Castle is that a final report is being issued this spring. In that report, there will be a phased out ban of OHV over the next 3 to 5 years. That's what I gather from the news articles I read.

This Bighorn Area issue covers a lot more ground. Given how the government (NDP) chose not to participate in the open house is telling. I fully expect this area to follow the Castle route and be labeled a provincial park. I am still unsure if OHV will be allowed when that happens but I'd be guessing there would be a phased out ban there as well.

Really sucks. Seems like the NDP are only listening to Y2Y/Love Your Headwaters.

It should also be noted that Love Your Headwaters is asking for restrictions in, not only Bighorn, but also Castle, Kananaskis, and Livingstone-Porcupine Hills.

Phillips is basically the fox running the hen house here.
Are going insane.
Old 05-19-2018, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the.tru.albertan View Post
My understanding of Castle is that a final report is being issued this spring. In that report, there will be a phased out ban of OHV over the next 3 to 5 years.
God do I hate being right all the time.

3 year phase out of OHV in Castle. As of June 1, there will be 137km of OHV trail. 2019 = 37km. 2020 = 1km.

Many, many people are afraid Bighorn awaits the same fate. Get your riding in now folks.

https://www.reddeeradvocate.com/news...ountry-access/
Are going insane.