Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 05-07-2018, 03:13 PM

Default Bipod Questions

Hello,

Just wondering who all uses a bipod, and what brand/length do you use. I just moved from BC where my longest shot was 75yrds on an animal, and after scouting here looks like longer shoots would be in order. So just looking at some experience from guys in AB.

Thanks,
Old 05-07-2018, 03:30 PM

Default made shots in the foothills

but there is usually a tree, back pack or day bag and shorter shot there. Prairie however I have probably got a bipod on most of my frequent use rifles. I like prone if I have the time so 13 inch works for me but have been on prairie for antelope and deer where grass was too long to go prone so the 25 inch was sufficient to sit behind. Personally all I will use is Harris but there are many brands and some have improved dramatically over the past 15 years in quality so there are more choices.
Old 05-07-2018, 04:39 PM
Banned

I use Caldwell. They aren’t quite as wood as the Harris but I like the notches in the legs to adjust the height. I agree with the sizes that were mentioned above. On the bench I use either sand filled bags or a 6-9” bipod generally.
Old 05-07-2018, 05:11 PM

Default This is my new favourite bipod.

I had a Caldwell but it fell apart always locktite the screws.
I bought this bipod to try it out because it was lite, less bulky, cheap and easily removable. So far I like it but it does not tilt side to side for really unlevel ground. The Harris’s are nice but expensive. For anything else but prone I use three legged shooting sticks.
https://youtu.be/5hIo4B1LRzE
Old 05-07-2018, 05:33 PM

Default Bipods

I have played around with lots of different types. I currently have a few harris's at least one Caldwell, and a stoney plain. They are all useable but the harris's are the best all other types have lasted well as long as you locktight all the nuts. For hunting I tend to use sticks instead of bipods. I have sticks that range from the tent pole bungee cord types at the way to a few bi -tri pod sticks from big pod and primos. The sitting/kneeling stics are my favorite for coyote hunting and ive been carrying the sitting/standing type for big game. I just did a check on my gear and i count 8 different bipods, 8 sets of sticks, 5 different tripods, 12 front bags and rests, and 10 different rear bag options . I think i might have a problem.........
Old 05-07-2018, 07:04 PM

I would recommend Harris .

I will only buy the swivel model now . As for length it depends on your style of shooting / hunting . If it's too short can't shoot thru grass or snow . Some guys like them long enough to Shoot sitting. Those are too tall for me to shoot prone as I'm not very flexible anymore . I have at least 3 different models of Harris

Good luck
Old 05-07-2018, 07:38 PM
Banned

harris ALL the way......I have 4 of them. one is 20 or so years old and when it needed repairs, I sent it back to harris. back in a week, no charge.
Old 05-07-2018, 08:00 PM

For hunting I recommend the SnipePod.
Old 05-07-2018, 09:14 PM

Harris is my choice. I believe the ones I use are 12.5 to about 23.5" but I could be off a hair.
Old 05-07-2018, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith View Post
For hunting I recommend the SnipePod.
X2

-Billy Molls
Old 05-07-2018, 09:54 PM

thanks for you help i guess i might have to find somewhere that has the harris. Online they look pretty big and heavy. Thats always what has turned me away from them, but it will extend the range i'm comfortable shooting at an animal with some practice
Old 05-08-2018, 05:47 AM

Harris!!!
Old 05-08-2018, 07:18 AM

I shoot prone mostly...and have decided the Harris 9"-13" swiveling, with notched legs is the best for that. I've owned the Harris non-swiveling, I've owned the Harris without the notched legs~both were less effective, and not nearly as nice/quick to use.

I still own that 9-13" non swiveling, but added a second swiveling model a couple of weeks ago..and used it this past weekend to crank 3 groundhogs. Furthest was a ranged 178 yards.

For bench work~I never use bipods. I use heavy bags front/rear.
Old 05-08-2018, 08:57 AM
Banned

x2 for field prone the harris swivel 9-13 with notched legs is the one to have
Old 05-08-2018, 09:38 AM

i tried a lot of the gun mounted Bi-pods. I really dislike what they do to the carry balance of the gun, most affect POI when removed and most places I hunt you can't shoot prone, even kneeling is often too low to see. I have switched to Bipods like trigger sticks. Easy to carry, act like a walking stick and good from standing to sitting or kneeling.
Old 05-08-2018, 09:44 AM
Banned

ya i should have said at the end of my post....'if you want a bipod for prone work in field conditions'

i personally will use a pack or balled up toques/gloves/my hand if no pack, otherwise i may carry a shooting stick of some sort, or my pack, when taking someone hunting though i'll usually put the 9-13 harris on for the newbs etc.
Old 05-08-2018, 10:19 AM

I have use several different brands bi-pods, Harris is very good....But having said that, I got rid of all my bi-pods and use shooting sticks for all my hunting, from gophers to moose.

Easier to carry, no crap hanging off the end of your rifle to get snagged in bush etc. I can shoot sitting or standing or anything in between and accuracy potential with a bit of practice is VERY good.

I am sorry can't remember the brand name we use but they have the little paw print on the rubber feet. I would not however buy the three legged Bog bod style except for use in the gopher patch...to clumsy and heavy.
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 05-08-2018, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.5 shooter View Post
I have use several different brands bi-pods, Harris is very good....But having said that, I got rid of all my bi-pods and use shooting sticks for all my hunting, from gophers to moose.

Easier to carry, no crap hanging off the end of your rifle to get snagged in bush etc. I can shoot sitting or standing or anything in between and accuracy potential with a bit of practice is VERY good.

I am sorry can't remember the brand name we use but they have the little paw print on the rubber feet. I would not however buy the three legged Bog bod style except for use in the gopher patch...to clumsy and heavy.
THIS^^^!!

I'm a stillhunter/stalker at heart(for WT especially,creeping around hardwood ridges with some calling/rattling mixed in is my happy place) I don't want all that crap and extra weight hanging off my rifle on the odd chance that I need to make a long shot and there's no tree or other alternative rest available,90% of the deer I've shot are well within 100yards and shot offhand anyhow when you hunt bush deer,there's often as not no time to be messing around deploying bipods or any other kind of pod for that matter....see and shoot usually.
I've used several different liteweight mono pods over the years,my #1 criteria is portability,the kinds that twist lock,the kinds with the lock tabs,the smallest Primos Trigger Stick they make,(I think it was from 18-30" iirc....it got broken under some tools in my truck anyway)....now I prefer the compact sticks that are carried in a hip holster and have internal shock cords something like tent poles do for lack of better description?
They have several advantages imho over the monopod.
-featherweight and very compact
-hassle free to carry on belt/waist belt on a pack etc.
-much more stable then monopods
Again,I'm normally a very mobile hunter,be it for deer/elk/moose wutever.....I don't want to be lugging around some cumbersome mono or bipod or tripod,the shock cord sticks are best I've found and ideal for my style of hunting.
Old 05-08-2018, 08:01 PM

I like the swivel 6 to 9 with notched legs. Gets nice and low if you can use it.

I also have the 9 to 13 which is higher.
Old 05-10-2018, 05:30 AM

I have had Harris in the past, they are an OK product at best. I have one SnipePod 27". The remainder of my bipods are the 6-9" range. I have one Extreme Pod from Bob Beck, carbon fiber design, can swivel but not sold on it yet though. I have 6 Atlas bipods, they so far have proven to be the best. They load up well, can swivel, very durable, deploy in multiple positions and will not accidentally return to the storage position. Spend the money on an Atlas you won't be disappointed....
Old 05-10-2018, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokey50BMG View Post
I have had Harris in the past, they are an OK product at best. I have one SnipePod 27". The remainder of my bipods are the 6-9" range. I have one Extreme Pod from Bob Beck, carbon fiber design, can swivel but not sold on it yet though. I have 6 Atlas bipods, they so far have proven to be the best. They load up well, can swivel, very durable, deploy in multiple positions and will not accidentally return to the storage position. Spend the money on an Atlas you won't be disappointed....
SIX Atlas bipods!! WOW!!😳
Please do tell.....how does one shoot six rifles simultaneously?? LOL 😝
I "was" considering buying ONE Atlas which would be swapped between whichever rifle I am using at the time,but I've since decided that the folding shooting sticks I currently use are far better suited for my main purpose of use,that being hunting.
That said,my only criticism of Atlas is the limitations of the relatively short leg heights offered which pretty much relegate them to use in prone positions only.If they offered leg extensions making them useful from sitting position,I'd have an Atlas in a heartbeat.I even considered buying an Atlas and fabricating some leg extensions of my own design to suit my needs,but as it is,I'm pretty happy with the sticks......that,and I also have an issue with spending $500 give er take on a product that still doesn't meet my needs and needs to have DIY mods done to make it useful for what I want it for.Other then that,Atlas makes a top shelf/high quality product,and I haven't ruled out EVER buying one,they're just not really practical for my intended usage.
Old 05-10-2018, 05:36 PM

I don't want to spend the time removing bipods from each gun. It seems as though each picatinny rail is slightly different and as such would require a tweak to get a proper fit. Just my eccentricities...
Old 05-11-2018, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokey50BMG View Post
I don't want to spend the time removing bipods from each gun. It seems as though each picatinny rail is slightly different and as such would require a tweak to get a proper fit. Just my eccentricities...
At $500 a pop for each Atlas,I can spare the 10 seconds it takes to swap a bipod from one rifle to the next with QD lever mounts......I don't earn $180,000/hr!!😝
Old 05-17-2018, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by West O'5 View Post
SIX Atlas bipods!! WOW!!😳
Please do tell.....how does one shoot six rifles simultaneously?? LOL 😝
I "was" considering buying ONE Atlas which would be swapped between whichever rifle I am using at the time,but I've since decided that the folding shooting sticks I currently use are far better suited for my main purpose of use,that being hunting.
That said,my only criticism of Atlas is the limitations of the relatively short leg heights offered which pretty much relegate them to use in prone positions only.If they offered leg extensions making them useful from sitting position,I'd have an Atlas in a heartbeat.I even considered buying an Atlas and fabricating some leg extensions of my own design to suit my needs,but as it is,I'm pretty happy with the sticks......that,and I also have an issue with spending $500 give er take on a product that still doesn't meet my needs and needs to have DIY mods done to make it useful for what I want it for.Other then that,Atlas makes a top shelf/high quality product,and I haven't ruled out EVER buying one,they're just not really practical for my intended usage.
I have often wished that they provided a bipod or extensions that was suitable for shooting from the sitting position but the only time I would require that would be on a coyote calling stand. For that purpose I use a set of small sticks or the SnipePod. But when we are in the field we tend to make due with whatever position the situation calls for.

We are long range shooters and prefer to take our shots from the prone position and if we are shooting at our ranges we usually shoot from the bench.
Old 05-21-2018, 08:05 PM

Thumbs up 100%

100% Have 2 Atlas bipods, they have far proven to be the best for me. If you do some long range shots and prefer to take your our shots from the prone position then Atlas is your best buy. Pokey50BMG is 100% right they are great bipods.
Old 05-22-2018, 06:41 AM

I have Atlas and Harris. My preference would be the Harris. My Atlas is a earlier model and I get to much movement in the legs ( back and forth). I could never be consistent with it and always got a flyer or two while shooting 5 shot groups. Switched to a Harris and the fliers were gone. The Atlas is a beautiful piece of machining compared to the Harris. I have handled a newer Atlas and it was much "tighter" in the legs than mine.
Old 05-22-2018, 06:50 AM

I used Harris bipods for many years, but after trying a Triggersticks tripod, I no longer use bipod. The Triggersticks tripod adjusts quicker, can be used when standing , and is more stable than a bipod.
Old 05-22-2018, 06:59 AM

I saw enough of a harris bipod while moose hunting last fall to last six lifetimes.
Old 05-22-2018, 07:37 AM

IMO gun mounteded bipods are great for prone and thats it. Ive messed around with harris bipods from sitting/ kneeling positions ( coyote calling scenarios) and greatly prefer either different types of sticks ( bipod or tripod) from homemade sticks to bungee cord types to trigger sticks. For big game hunting unless your confident that prone shooting is possible I'd scrap the gun mounted bipods and go with whatever style of sitting /standing supports you like best
Old 05-22-2018, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
I saw enough of a harris bipod while moose hunting last fall to last six lifetimes.
I was thinking of that situation when I posted. When my friend filled my tag with his partner license under nearly identical conditions using the Triggersticks, things went much smoother. Instead of having to drop into the snow to shoot, and then losing sight of the moose because he was too low, my friend just remained standing , and quickly shot the bull, from a nice solid shooting position. I shot my pronghorn from a standing position as well last year, and if I had to sit or lay down to shoot, I would have not been able to see the buck.