Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 08-02-2018, 06:51 AM

Default Spot X

Just wondering if anyone has used the new spot x, looking for feedback/reviews, and how it compares to the Inreach units.

Thx
Old 08-02-2018, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 REM MAG View Post
Just wondering if anyone has used the new spot x, looking for feedback/reviews, and how it compares to the Inreach units.

Thx
It sucks !!!
Old 08-02-2018, 08:43 AM
Banned

The inreach units are pretty solid
Old 08-17-2018, 02:29 PM

Was looking at the Spot X - what are the issues you have had?
Old 08-17-2018, 02:59 PM

Got one on order, thanks HH Top Notch points. Sounds like the ultimate tool, two way communication by text, including the rescue agency, if you trip the SOS function . Best part, you can buy monthly coverage.

Grizz
Old 08-17-2018, 03:01 PM

thanks for the additional feedback. I am going to look at them again
Old 08-17-2018, 03:32 PM

When I researched sat messengers 6 years ago, I paid attention to the satellite network that the inReach and Spot relied upon.

InReach used Iridium
Spot used GlobalStar, which was (at least at the time) close to bankruptcy and folding as a network.

So I chose the inReach and haven’t looked back. Take my advice with caution as things may have changed, but my point is that a device is only as good as its network.
Old 08-17-2018, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torkdiesel View Post
It sucks !!!
What issues have you had with the spot X it's brand new, I've had nothing but good report from my spot over the last five years haven't had any satellite issues.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 08-17-2018, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35 whelen View Post
What issues have you had with the spot X it's brand new, I've had nothing but good report from my spot over the last five years haven't had any satellite issues.

I haven’t had any issues with the spot x. But I’ve had plenty of issues with globalstar products. Enough I’d never consider going that route ever again.
Old 08-17-2018, 09:18 PM

I see globalstar only has 24 satellites to iridium 66 satellites orbiting the Earth

Old 08-17-2018, 09:29 PM

Default spot x

Tork is right. Globalstar is useless. I have had both globalstar and iridium phones. I currently have two inreach devices and an iridium sat phone. They work when you need them to. I also have a globalstar phone I paid $1200 for a few years ago. I maybe have 45 min total talk time on it(not for lack of trying to use it LoL). the network was very unreliable, they shouldn't be allowed to sell a product that doesn't work. Seems a little fraudulent to me. Buy an inreach. They work.
Old 08-17-2018, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 REM MAG View Post

Thx
I do not have any experience with the x model but I am still using the spot 2. It has been mostly very reliable, however, the low battery will give a false positive on the message status. The device can't detect and report on the low battery. Now I check batteries before the season and make sure they have enough voltage. So far on average, Energizer lithium batteries last about two years. The mileage may vary depending on the usage. Gen 3 has the same issue so I do not bother upgrading. I just wanted to give heads up.
Old 08-18-2018, 08:59 AM

For guys that have the Garmin inreach what is the costs of the monthly usage on your basic packages and how much did you pay for your unit thank you can you cancel it month to month

Old 08-18-2018, 12:45 PM

Quote:
For guys that have the Garmin inreach what is the costs of the monthly usage on your basic packages and how much did you pay for your unit thank you can you cancel it month to month

$500ish to buy
$70 a month for the unlimited plan
$5 month to hibernate it.

I run 7 of them on the unlimited plan for our fall season and only 1 for myself the rest of the year. You likely don’t always need the unlimited plan, but if you go over it gets very pricey.
Old 08-18-2018, 12:47 PM

Okay thanks

Old 08-18-2018, 06:24 PM

So, just picked my unit up, excellent service from the Home Hardware people, since I just ordered it a week ago. Question already . How does the USB access port open ? Looks like it flips up, but I don't want to force it. No hint in the directions. Keyboard is on the tiny side, gonna take a little getting used to. Think the controls are purposely made on the stiff side, so you don't accidentally activate them.

Grizz
Old 08-18-2018, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
So, just picked my unit up, excellent service from the Home Hardware people, since I just ordered it a week ago. Question already . How does the USB access port open ? Looks like it flips up, but I don't want to force it. No hint in the directions. Keyboard is on the tiny side, gonna take a little getting used to. Think the controls are purposely made on the stiff side, so you don't accidentally activate them.

Grizz
You picked up an Inreach ? Or the one everybody is bashing here ? lol
Old 08-18-2018, 07:04 PM

Anyone on here with a spot X like to hear from someone that's had one I know they're fairly new just came out this winter I believe.

Old 08-18-2018, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torkdiesel View Post
You picked up an Inreach ? Or the one everybody is bashing here ? lol
Picked the SPOT. People I know have been happy with the SPOT system, this one is just more advanced, we'll see how it turns out. Did figure out how to open the access port, cover snaps down.

Grizz
Old 08-18-2018, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Picked the SPOT. People I know have been happy with the SPOT system, this one is just more advanced, we'll see how it turns out. Did figure out how to open the access port, cover snaps down.

Grizz
Yes keep us updated on how you like it thanks

Old 08-18-2018, 09:20 PM

Quote:

Grizz
Good deal. I hope it works great for you. Perhaps if the Inreach has some actual competition the price for service will get more competitive!
Old 08-19-2018, 11:46 AM

if you send a msg to someone what is the delay in receiving a response? When i first got a inreach the strictly bluetooth model was almost 20 min. Are the newer inreach or spots any better now?
Old 08-19-2018, 12:54 PM

My spot generation 2 most times only takes about 5 minutes on a pre set message sometimes less

Old 08-19-2018, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjolg123 View Post
if you send a msg to someone what is the delay in receiving a response? When i first got a inreach the strictly bluetooth model was almost 20 min. Are the newer inreach or spots any better now?
We have a few inreach devices at work and some of the messages come in less than a minute, most are around a minute. There is a setting on the device that can be set to continuous searching instead of every few minutes and while it drains more battery it still allows the device to go more than a day on the same charge. I've wondered about these new spots, but really only because their subscription plan is more appealing but the real test is how well does it work. The inreach device works.
Old 08-19-2018, 10:32 PM
Banned

Arrow

The SPOT is gargbage. Had to play catchup with all the other companies to even get close to what everyone else has alrady been offering.

Delorme has been bought out by Garmin, that should tell you something right there.

Get a Delorme/Garmin and be safe.
Old 08-19-2018, 10:36 PM

Now that spot has no contract plans i was considering them, the biggest feature i like of theres is the permanent number. I need to be reachable while away and having a constant number where i can be reached is a big deal for me, but again only if the service works
Old 08-20-2018, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FQ2 View Post
The SPOT is gargbage. Had to play catchup with all the other companies to even get close to what everyone else has alrady been offering.

Delorme has been bought out by Garmin, that should tell you something right there.

Get a Delorme/Garmin and be safe.
Now is this from experience do you have a spot X

Old 08-20-2018, 01:19 PM
Banned

Yes I did. Not there newest verion but there earlier unreliable one. Messages not sent out, no idea if message even received, didn't update location most of the time, very slow to do anything, expensive and unreliable. They were advertising just how great they were, yet never proved it with me. No wonder there are so many of them for sale on various forums, rarely see a Delorme.

Then first delorme I owned did everything and quickly. User friendly and reliable.

Then 2nd delorme is even better, bluetooth to you phone, updated maps, weather reports, can update your facebook, great gps, owned by Garmin, online support, etc..

Get the Delorme. Just gives you the warm and fuzzy feeling when out and about.
Old 08-20-2018, 01:22 PM

Thanks for your update and opinion

Old 08-27-2018, 06:43 PM

Default Spot x

Quote:
Yes keep us updated on how you like it thanks

Yes, I'm interested as well. The device looks good, at least on paper. It looks quite simple and easy to use. In the past Globalstar had a poor reputation---lets hope they are much better now.
Keep us posted.