Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 06-21-2018, 10:32 PM

Default Flash Hider noise level vs muzzle break

I recently picked up a Ruger American Ranch in 5.56/223. Just for giggles and maybe yotes, but 99% of it will be range shooting while my other guns cool. It has a threaded barrel and with it being so short I have thought about putting a flash hider on the end rather than the boring nut (I am well aware it will it is useless but I like the look)

My question is would a flash hider act the same as a muzzle break and make it really loud to those around me? As it will be range gun I don't want to be that guy or be choosy over which bay I use for a 223. If it will make it loud I will just leave it
Old 06-21-2018, 10:53 PM

Flash hiders do not increase noise. It functions to spread out the gases exiting the barrel to prevent excessive flame/flash. The muzzle brake directs those gases to the sides/up lessening recoil while increasing report to those on either side. Good to go on flashhiders.
Old 06-24-2018, 12:23 PM

EXTREME difference in noise!!
I have an XCR-L 5.56 comes standard with flash hider.
I decided to put a MB on it cuz that's what all the tacticool kids do.🙄
First day out with the new MB installed,I put a few mags through it wearing muffs,then took a smoke break and reload a few mags.
Got set up to shoot again....realized I didn't have my muffs on and thought..."oh well,I don't intend to wear muffs when I'm coyote hunting...how loud can it be?".....BANG!!
BIG MISTAKE!! I nearly blew my left ear drum I'm sure(right handed shooter)
I was deaf in my left ear for better part of the next hour,very painful ringing that continued well into the night,and still some discomfort following day.
NEVER AGAIN WILL I SHOOT A BRAKED RIFLE WITHOUT MUFFS!!
And that was a lil 5.56,I can't imagine a .300WinMag!!
Mind you....I was in fact shooting off of a bag set up on front rack of my quad,so perhaps the quad deflected excessive shock waves back at my left ear vs. say shooting in a wide open space,I dunno,but I have no desire to test the theory?
FWIW,prior to that day I had fired hundreds of rounds with flash hider installed and ZERO ear protection both hunting scenarios and plinking without muffs on many occasions no ear protection and no ill effects.ONE single unprotected shot fired with muzzle brake was more then enough for me to learn lesson.....not fun and more then a bit scary,probably did some permanent damage I'm sure.

Last edited by West O'5; 06-24-2018 at 12:29 PM.
Old 06-24-2018, 03:21 PM

Shot a 300 win mag with a brake a few years ago and I am now half deaf in my left ear because of it....always wear hearing protection, don’t be a dummy
Old 08-16-2018, 12:54 PM

It depends on the design but flash hiders do tend to increase noise to the shooter compared to nothing on the barrel but nowhere near as badly as a brake.
Old 08-17-2018, 09:26 AM

Depends on who’s brake as well, my buddy has Alberta tactical brakes on his 7mm and 300 short mag and shooting then without muffs is easy and painless...for the shooter. If you stand beside the shooter, either side it is stupid loud like others have said.

Totally depends on the brake design I guess is what I’m saying.