Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-19-2018, 08:51 PM

Default Vehicle ideas. Advice please

I have a 2011 Dodge Ram Sport crew (4 full sized doors) that I like. Used to have a 27' trailer, used to do a lot of ice fishing. We no longer do, and it is my daily driver. Seems a little overkill for my daily drive at 22-25L/100km average I'm getting. Still have a 14' boat to tow, and want to get back into ice fishing at some point. Wifey wants me to trade in for a SUV. We have 2 kids, one still needs a car seat. I don't like the idea of an SUV, but it kind of makes sense. Can't make trips to the dump or haul oversized things, etc with a SUV... Opinions? Happy wife happy life, but I think I need to keep my truck.... Is there a compromise?
Old 08-19-2018, 08:57 PM

I have the same truck and haul a 8k lbs stock trailer on the weekends. My mileage is considerably better even with the 10 ply 35 inch tires, but have been thinking the same as you.

Im going to look at an eco boost. Ford revamped the engine in 2017 and fixed a bunch of the problems the 12th gens were having; they also brought in the 10spd trans which is helping with mileage. Good mileage, good looking truck, can still tow a decent amount, and I dont looae the box.

A friend of mine went from Taber to Camrose and back on the 36 and averaged 8.5 L/100km, the truck is stock. However with the ecoboost you either get eco or you get boost. If you have a heavy foot (which it seems you do with your mileage) the ecoboost isnt going to be any better than your hemi.

My thought is I drive the truck empty 6 days of the week. One day on the weekend and a couple out of province weekend trips a year justifies the better mileage empty and worse mileage loaded in the EB over my Hemi.

I get 12L/100 highway
19.5L/100 in the city and towing my trailer

I have a heavy foot.
Old 08-19-2018, 09:17 PM
Banned

I’ve got an 08 Tahoe and love the thing. If you get the suv just leave a couple thousand aside for a utility trailer then you’ll have the best of both worlds. It toes my 17’ boat or my Polaris ranger 900 no problem. I get close to 700km on a 98L tank of fuel on average city/hwy. It’s big enough for the two of us, two boys and a 130lb dog along with all our gear for a week at the cabin with no problems. If I had to choose between it and my truck I’d take the Tahoe.
Old 08-19-2018, 09:27 PM

A 2011 should be paid for by now assuming you got it new.

Keep the truck and get an SUV.....easy.

Once you have a truck you'll really miss it when it's gone.
Old 08-19-2018, 09:36 PM

Crew cab truck is a full-size SUV with the back 1/3 (cargo area) turned into a pickup bed. That is a game changer. Most people who own an SUV don't leave the pavement, ever. Nor would they put almost anything in the back of it (ex. hunting + fishing gear, animals, etc) like they would in the bed of a pickup.
Get rid of a truck for an SUV and you'll regret it the next day.

As for the references to gas mileage, what a laugh. ALL trucks and full-size SUV's suck back gas. Makes me giggle when guys claim this/that for mileage in a truck. Go to the pump, put in $100+ each time, then keep driving. If you're worried about mileage, get a Prius.
Old 08-19-2018, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fwee6 View Post
Crew cab truck is a full-size SUV with the back 1/3 (cargo area) turned into a pickup bed. That is a game changer. Most people who own an SUV don't leave the pavement, ever. Nor would they put almost anything in the back of it (ex. hunting + fishing gear, animals, etc) like they would in the bed of a pickup.
Get rid of a truck for an SUV and you'll regret it the next day.

As for the references to gas mileage, what a laugh. ALL trucks and full-size SUV's suck back gas. Makes me giggle when guys claim this/that for mileage in a truck. Go to the pump, put in $100+ each time, then keep driving. If you're worried about mileage, get a Prius.
This is almost exactly how I feel about the idea...
And $100 will get me just over 1/2 a tank these days...
Old 08-20-2018, 06:03 AM

Look into the ecodiesel, power stroke or the new 3l duramax that GM is releasing in the 2019 models.
Old 08-20-2018, 07:41 AM

Those Colorado/Canyons look pretty good. The mini GM Duramax in them seems to get a solid 30 mpg. Still a fair amount of space too, not tiny like the previous generations.
Old 08-20-2018, 07:46 AM

If your looking for something for economical, I think those new half tons with the small diesels are the way to go
Old 08-20-2018, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstubbs View Post
Those Colorado/Canyons look pretty good. The mini GM Duramax in them seems to get a solid 30 mpg. Still a fair amount of space too, not tiny like the previous generations.
The back seat isn't very car seat friendly.
Old 08-20-2018, 08:30 AM

Yeah, I did the same thing, though I'd miss a truck. Nope. Maybe 4 or 5 times a year. I much prefer having secure, dry cargo area of an suv especially with kids. Anytime I need something larger hauled, that's what the roof rack is for, or worst case grab a utility trailer.

Need something to get you on the lake, get a quad, haul it with the suv. Excuses for more toys.

I would recommend midsize though, stay away from full size or compact.
Old 08-20-2018, 09:04 AM

The pick up truck with a small diesel engine concept has merit, I’ve recently acquired a Mercedes Sprinter 4x4 dually van with a 3.0l turbodiesel and am getting way better fuel economy with it, to the tune of 25% or better (based solely on litres used, not noting fuel cost which varies). This is great considering that compared to my outgoing long wheelbase GMC Savana that it has much greater GVWR, twice the cargo volume, I can stand up in it and it has a real selectable 4x4 system. Usually each of those improvements would be detrimental to fuel economy so it makes me wonder about how economical their shorter 2WD models with the 2.1l 4 cylinder turbo diesel are?

6.31 km/l versus 4.55 km/l, about 28% better.
Old 08-20-2018, 02:05 PM

Well, if the ram is paid for, Id just wander over and pick up a used corolla or something, if you want the economical. If youre committed to the new truck idea, Id say the EB or 5.3L. My "14 EB does 10-11L/100 onthe hwy, and Im told the new 10spd tranny is decent, and I love the ford super crew cab, two kids, On the otherhand the 5.3L Ive been told is a sipper as well, and that engine is hard to kill.
Old 08-20-2018, 05:09 PM

Way better then any eco or diesel and repairs cheep. Can’t wait for a hibread version my previous version could pull my 32 ft with no problems and could pass on the hiway leaving the diesels in the dust. All while getting 4.5 ltrs per 100 k. Granted it was turbo
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0EC8CB80-29B4-41B3-B2BD-889E55714F61.jpg (20.1 KB, 72 views)

Last edited by Suzukisam; 08-20-2018 at 05:20 PM.
Old 08-20-2018, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESOXangler View Post
The back seat isn't very car seat friendly.
Are you speaking from experience or just guessing based off looks of it? I haven't ever tried to put a car seat into one but the back looks fairly roomy in the crew cab model.

Old 08-20-2018, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
I have the same truck and haul a 8k lbs stock trailer on the weekends. My mileage is considerably better even with the 10 ply 35 inch tires, but have been thinking the same as you.

Im going to look at an eco boost. Ford revamped the engine in 2017 and fixed a bunch of the problems the 12th gens were having; they also brought in the 10spd trans which is helping with mileage. Good mileage, good looking truck, can still tow a decent amount, and I dont looae the box.

A friend of mine went from Taber to Camrose and back on the 36 and averaged 8.5 L/100km, the truck is stock. However with the ecoboost you either get eco or you get boost. If you have a heavy foot (which it seems you do with your mileage) the ecoboost isnt going to be any better than your hemi.

My thought is I drive the truck empty 6 days of the week. One day on the weekend and a couple out of province weekend trips a year justifies the better mileage empty and worse mileage loaded in the EB over my Hemi.

I get 12L/100 highway
19.5L/100 in the city and towing my trailer

I have a heavy foot.
I actually don't have a heavy foot at all. I think something is wrong getting that mileage. Been like that since day one., But no codes, no idea why, but it really seems extreme. I can get 12L/100km highway though ????. Was getting 36- 39L/100km pulling my trailer
Old 08-20-2018, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloopbloob View Post
I actually don't have a heavy foot at all. I think something is wrong getting that mileage. Been like that since day one., But no codes, no idea why, but it really seems extreme. I can get 12L/100km highway though ????. Was getting 36- 39L/100km pulling my trailer
Unless your 27' trailer was somehow weighing in at 12,000 lbs and you kept the tires half deflated at all times, it's shocking to hear you only got 6 mpg pulling it. My old 97 GMC 350 could get better mileage than that. Had to have been something amiss there.
Old 08-20-2018, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstubbs View Post
Are you speaking from experience or just guessing based off looks of it? I haven't ever tried to put a car seat into one but the back looks fairly roomy in the crew cab model.

Experience. Waste of my time otherwise.
Old 08-20-2018, 08:27 PM

I will second that. I have two car seats because of it. Car seat in my truck is permanent because of the hassle. Took me over an hour to get it hooked up. Maybe 5 min in my parents or wifes car.
Old 08-20-2018, 08:55 PM

If you want an suv, look at a mercedes SUV with a diesel engine. You can get one of the full sized ones 10 years old for around $16k.
Old 08-20-2018, 09:18 PM

IMHO If the wife wanted me to get into an SUV id get into a rav4 or similar. Sell the 2011 dodge and get yourself a mid 90's ext cab s/b chev for the hunting and fishing trips. Cheap on insurance as it wouldn't be worth getting any more than basic PLPD. You also don't have to feel bad when you put a few scratches on in in the bush or on dump runs.
I have a 2011 3500CTD for hauling but am soon acquiring an older single cab flat deck gm SRW from my uncle for the running around town stuff.
Old 08-21-2018, 08:40 AM

First and foremost buy something your But feels comfortable sitting in. Fuel milage is erelivent if your ass and comfy
Old 08-21-2018, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESOXangler View Post
Look into the ecodiesel, power stroke or the new 3l duramax that GM is releasing in the 2019 models.
Then your dealing with the additional cost of owning a diesel.
Old 08-21-2018, 09:53 AM

Yup diesels are not about saving money or cheaper to run. Even the vw diesel costs more to buy,run,maintain then thier gas jobs. I won 5 of both gas and diesel and our gas are cheaper in the long run
Old 08-21-2018, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzukisam View Post
First and foremost buy something your But feels comfortable sitting in. Fuel milage is erelivent if your ass and comfy
I agree. Friend of mine bought an F150 that he could hardly walk after riding in it for an hour and a bit...
Old 08-21-2018, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzukisam View Post
Yup diesels are not about saving money or cheaper to run. Even the vw diesel costs more to buy,run,maintain then thier gas jobs. I won 5 of both gas and diesel and our gas are cheaper in the long run
I would say that it depends on your circumstances. If you're already in the city, your right, however, if you have over an hours drive one way to get anywhere with a store, it's a completely different story...
Old 08-21-2018, 02:36 PM

Default Colorado Diesel

I'm kinda in the same boat, have a 3/4 ton truck that is killing me as a daily driver, gonna get a Chev Colorado with the small diesel and the ZR2 package for off-roading/hunting/ice fishing.

My buddy has the ZR1 Colorado diesel and he raves about it!
Old 08-21-2018, 02:46 PM

2019 Ford Ranger is coming out soon. Being smaller than a full size, will be easier to maneuver, park, fit in the garage, etc., being smaller and with the 2.3 Ecoboost and 10 spd auto and a light foot, should provide decent efficiency, and we don't know the specs yet, but should easily tow your boat without the drawbacks of having a diesel. Some have advantages over the competition, but I'd think the majority of the midsize trucks would suit your needs.
Old 08-21-2018, 04:15 PM

Buying the SUV to save gas, or just because she wants one? If it's the former, it doesn't make financial sense, unless you are going used privately. But then you get to fix up all the little things the previous owner didn't, because they "were selling it anyway".

The truck with a canopy has a ton of utility. Really would have a hard time living without one now.

The gas mileage sounds pretty low. My old truck with the Magnum and 35" tires gets better mileage. And it's a 3/4 ton with canopy. Fully fueled, but not the auxiliary tank, and full size spare with me in it, I'm close to 8000 lbs. Taking it easy on the highway I'd better 16 and up to 11 (Imperial) miles per gallon towing the trailer in passing gear.

In city driving let the truck coast to the next light. No need to race and step on the brake. And when towing, I'm usually not even trying to go the speed limit. I could easily burn half again the fuel if I push it a bit.

Survivor of the dread covid
Pureblood!
Old 08-21-2018, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amosfella View Post
I agree. Friend of mine bought an F150 that he could hardly walk after riding in it for an hour and a bit...
Funny.

My wife and I have done 5000 km trips in a week in our F150's and F350's and never experienced anything like that. He should maybe get some tests done for sciatica problems.

which, of course, is not funny.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....