Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 08-19-2018, 08:38 PM

Default Anyone in Saskatchewan notice the changes in the regulations

I was just reading the new hunting guide an notice that I can no longer use my 25-20 model 92. I see they have removed other cartridges like 44mag and 357mag but have given the ok on 223, 22-250 and some other small bores. I guess some people will be happy and others not so much. I think I’ll stick with the 270 although I was hoping to take a deer at some point with my 25-20. I started the thread to inform my fellow Saskatchewan members Of the changes not to start up an age old heated debat. For those who want to argue and insault one another please find a different thread
Old 08-20-2018, 02:32 PM

Default So it is true...

Myself and some of the guys were talking about this at work the other day. After I seen your post I had a quick look. It will for sure start the age old debate on whats big enough to use and what is not for large game for sure. I was curious though I didn't see that it said you could use 22-250 but I also didn't read that you couldn't, I have no plans on using it myself and might have just missed it as it was a quick look. They did suggest using something larger than a .23 caliber for elk moose and black bear. Besides the changes in ballistics as they mentioned I wonder what brought on the change here. Some of our neighbors to the south have been using smaller calibers for years, and from my understanding some of them to the east might have also but I'm not 100% on that.
Old 08-20-2018, 02:57 PM

for anyone who is interested in what the regs say;

Recent amendments now allow most common centre fire rifle cartridges to be used to hunt big game. This regulation recognizes that advances in cartridge design have justified allowing smaller calibre firearms for hunting big game species. However, the ministry recommends that cartridges larger than .23 calibre continue to be used for game species such as moose, elk and black bear. See page 11 for details.

it is a violation to hunt big game with:
> any cartridge with an empty cartridge case length of less than 32 mm (this includes most handgun cartridges and all rimfire cartridges).
> any centre fire rifle cartridge of .17 calibre.
> or any of the following cartridges: .22 Hornet, .22 K- Hornet, .218 Bee, .25-20 Winchester, .30 Carbine, .32-20 Winchester, .357 Magnum, .41 Remington Magnum, .44-40 Winchester or .45 Colt.
Old 08-21-2018, 08:10 AM

Im guessing some government official read the Wikipedia page and based their decision on the fact the page says the cartridge is no good for deer:
Quote:
The .25-20 Winchester, or WCF (Winchester center fire), was developed around 1895 for the Winchester Model 1892 lever action rifle. It was based on necking down the .32-20 Winchester. In the early 20th century, it was a popular small game and varmint round, developing around 1,460 ft/s with 86-grain bullets.

While the SAAMI pressure rating is a full 28,000 CUP, modern ammunition is often loaded lighter in deference to the weaker steels used on many of the original guns. The early black powder cartridges were loaded to about 20,000 psi, but the SAAMI rating is close to that of the high velocity smokeless rounds produced later. The high velocity loadings developed 1,732 ft/s.[2]

It was easy and economical to reload and was once a favorite with farmers, ranchers, pot hunters, and trappers. Though the .25-20 has been used on deer and even claimed the James Jordan Buck, a whitetail deer of long standing record in 1914,[3] it is now rarely used on large-bodied game due to its sedate ballistics and light bullet construction, which make humane one-shot kills unlikely.

The .25-20 Winchester is sometimes confused with the similarly named .25-20 Single Shot; the two cartridges are markedly different and do not interchange with one another.

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."