Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 08-19-2018, 03:46 PM

Default Quick Cooler Set Up Ideas!! To hang Wildgame any ideas.

Just wanted to ask anyone out there if they have any idea's on a quick cooler set up to hang wild game already quartered up?... me i was thinking 5'W x 7'L x 7'H =245 cubic ft make a quick portable frame & if a AC will be good enough to keep it cool... just buy 2- 12' tarps & 2- 5'x8' tarps and hoard it inside garage & rig up 8" or 10" conduit to AC from outside, run it to the hoarding inside the garage...then just process it from inside of hoarding the straight to the freezer...and of course sausages; summer sausage, jerky sticks....all that to cure inside...& Hamburger & burgers....just wondering if AC will be good enough to cool & hang wild game...has anyone made homemade cooler before.?.
Old 08-19-2018, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaWild View Post
Just wanted to ask anyone out there if they have any idea's on a quick cooler set up to hang wild game already quartered up?... me i was thinking 5'W x 7'L x 7'H =245 cubic ft make a quick portable frame & if a AC will be good enough to keep it cool... just buy 2- 12' tarps & 2- 5'x8' tarps and hoard it inside garage & rig up 8" or 10" conduit to AC from outside, run it to the hoarding inside the garage...then just process it from inside of hoarding the straight to the freezer...and of course sausages; summer sausage, jerky sticks....all that to cure inside...& Hamburger & burgers....just wondering if AC will be good enough to cool & hang wild game...has anyone made homemade cooler before.?.
You need a coolbot unit to make the AC unit run cold enough
Old 08-19-2018, 04:27 PM

This is the most basic of redneck coolers...
Get an old refrigerator and take the door off. Build an insulated box that will fit and seal tight to the front of the open fridge. Take the racks out of the fridge and screw a hook into the top inside fridge. A couple hooks in the box and a guy can hang quarters. Put a thermometer in the box and you can adjust the fridge temp accordingly.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 08-19-2018, 04:30 PM

Get a big piece of tarp wrap it around a few trees where you're hanging your game and put a little hundred dollar air conditioner under it it's what I do at my camp

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 08-19-2018, 04:58 PM

Do a search, it’s been posted a few times.

TBark
Old 08-19-2018, 06:28 PM

Here's our homemade cooler. Can't remember the dimensions but we've had 2 elk and a moose in it, also 7 deer at one point. Keeps the meat at 4 degrees in what ever weather.

Old 08-20-2018, 07:59 AM

Default Cooler build

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torkdiesel View Post
You need a coolbot unit to make the AC unit run cold enough
I have done this with two inkbird controllers and a small light bulb. All in it was under $50 and has worked flawlessly.
Old 08-23-2018, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coxy95 View Post
I have done this with two inkbird controllers and a small light bulb. All in it was under $50 and has worked flawlessly.
Ha, great minds, I do the same thing! However, for portability when travelling to hunt I take a medium size chest freezer and use the same Inkbird controller to keel it at 2C.
Old 08-24-2018, 09:04 AM

So this inkbird controller plugs in between your freezer and the wall and turns it on and off to maintain a temp?
Old 08-24-2018, 09:48 AM

Old 08-27-2018, 04:04 PM

Yeah they are just relays that turn the bulb on to make the a/c unit think it’s too warm in the room. When either the coil temp on the a/c unit gets to cold or the room gets to temp the relays cut the power to the bulb and the a/c unit cuts out.
Old 08-27-2018, 10:30 PM

Default Ice cooler

Bought a old upright ice freezer from a service station along highway that you get the bags of ice from when you stop for ice and turned the cold setting from minus 5 C to 0C . With the twist of a turn and half with a slotted screw driver
Unit is about 5 ft high and 32 inches deep and 54 inchs wide.
Have not looked back in over 9 years .
Also took it on a hunting trip and used a generator to keep food cold and then cool a bull elk in plus 25 C weather.
Hey and a plus it is lockable to keep the undesirable off the beer.
Old 08-29-2018, 09:04 AM

I put a small chest freezer in my camper and run it off my generator.

Quarter it up and load it in.
Old 08-31-2018, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coxy95 View Post

I am thinking of trying this, could you elaborate on the setup for me?? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tags
cooler, processing, wildgame