Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 08-17-2018, 06:55 PM

X2 on cutco
I also carry outdoor edge exchange a blade
Old 08-18-2018, 08:09 AM

I do not specifically rely on any one knife. I often carry several knifes but my favourite is a Puma Jagnicker #113567 followed closely with a DH Russell Canadian Belt Knife. Once the edges are tuned up they seem to hold an edge really well. This selection is based on my opinion and use only.
Old 08-18-2018, 08:54 AM

I have a benchmade hidden canyon and it is an adequate knife for smaller game and deer. I have a Puma WhiteHunter that I have used for over 45 years and it is my preference for field work on elk and moose. It is nice to have a 6 inch blade when you get to the inside of that big chest cavity. I use an older 3 inch Ez-lap(now a fine grit) for field touch up on the blades but in most cases they will do the field dressing without touch up. I caution you on steels that are over 60RC as they are a bitch to sharpen in the field. Knife weight for me is not an issue as I always carry a knapsack.
Old 08-18-2018, 04:16 PM

Default benchmade knives

I have been going down a deep deep rabbit hole when it comes to knives. Im dabbling in customs but also bought the benchmade bushcrafter 162, it is well worth the money as it holds an edge forever (same steel S30V)and has more of a hunter type blade than a traditional bushcraft scandi. The blade design had no issues at all splitting the brisket and it took almost no pressure to split the pelvis. I don't think you can go wrong with any benchmade with the S30V steel.
Old 08-18-2018, 05:10 PM

I'd use a Bark River Knives Mini Kalahari. It's the perfect shape and size for game from deer to elk sized. A2 takes a very fine edge, much finer than S30v steel does.

Having skinned many creatures over the years, I'd say that for general purpose hunting, an upswept bowback design is the best you'll find for a one knife rig.
Old 08-19-2018, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amosfella View Post
I'd use a Bark River Knives Mini Kalahari. It's the perfect shape and size for game from deer to elk sized. A2 takes a very fine edge, much finer than S30v steel does.

Having skinned many creatures over the years, I'd say that for general purpose hunting, an upswept bowback design is the best you'll find for a one knife rig.

I dont disagree with this either. I’ve been eyeballing the Bark River Kalahari as well, anything Bark River is going to be super quality.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk