Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-26-2020, 12:23 PM

Default Another deer impaled on fence in Cameron Heights, Edmonton

This is in the news again today and its been an issue for years now! Totally bizarre!!!!!

I just don’t get it at all. If the developer is so incompetent that it can’t step up and fix it, why doesn't a resident just go out and do it themselves?

Residents frustrated after another deer impaled on fence in Cameron Heights | CBC News

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmon...ghts-1.5759820
Old 10-26-2020, 12:27 PM

Looking at the pic of that fence, nice easy fix. Cut off those spikes, grind smooth, paint. Done. No more deer accidents and the fence still looks good.
Old 10-26-2020, 12:33 PM

Its a sign of the times we live in that a couple of the men in the neighborhood cant just go out with a grinder and a can of paint and fix it over a few beers. Instead they complain for years.
Old 10-26-2020, 12:42 PM

That or just slice 1 or 2” black waterline or hose and use plastic ties, or 1x2s, 1x4s screwed on, old baseboard strips, black landscape edging, black aluminum L strips, black vinyl siding fitment pieces...

Lots of temporary and permanent solutions and some could look as professional as any manufacturer fix.

Just seems to me like one of those stories you here of the “First World” installing things like water pumps in “Third World” countries and when they fail the residents go back to using water buckets because they don’t know how to fix anything. There though its a lack of parts or some reasonable excuse.
Old 10-26-2020, 01:06 PM

Meh, animals get hung up on barbed wire/chain link fences too, sometimes losing their junk. They also get hit by cars, eaten by predators, killed by disease. Oh, and the occasional one dies during hunting season LOL typical urban first world problem, very newsworthy.
Old 10-26-2020, 01:07 PM

I agree with most of you guys. However if one of us went out and performed said work guess the size of mess it would create. They would likely charge us the cost to “restore” the fence just to have it all cut off again. Between the city and developer I wouldn’t touch that with a 10’ pole. I don’t have enough money to spend on lawyers to do what is right.
Old 10-26-2020, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramps.257 View Post
Its a sign of the times we live in that a couple of the men in the neighborhood cant just go out with a grinder and a can of paint and fix it over a few beers. Instead they complain for years.

While I agree, it is also a sign of the times that the City will give you a ticket for plowing and clearing the snow from the road in you own block, even though they won't plow at all for the whole winter. They would totally lose their fecal matter if you touched their fences. Problem is I would still be inclined to do a midnight fit up, problem is too many azzhats with video and cameras. There is a very good reason we live in the Country and have now for many years.
Old 10-26-2020, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperMOA View Post
I agree with most of you guys. However if one of us went out and performed said work guess the size of mess it would create. They would likely charge us the cost to “restore” the fence just to have it all cut off again. Between the city and developer I wouldn’t touch that with a 10’ pole. I don’t have enough money to spend on lawyers to do what is right.
That, plus all of a sudden you likely become liable due to work you did on it.

Other than that, yes, things are weird. But that is the world we live in, I guess.
Old 10-26-2020, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperMOA View Post

Interesting, I see you were posting exactly the same thing at the same time I was. really sad what the world has become, at one time the neighbours would help and the City would have stopped by to say THANKS. Not any more!
Old 10-26-2020, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
While I agree, it is also a sign of the times that the City will give you a ticket for plowing and clearing the snow from the road in you own block, even though they won't plow at all for the whole winter. They would totally lose their fecal matter if you touched their fences. Problem is I would still be inclined to do a midnight fit up, problem is too many azzhats with video and cameras. There is a very good reason we live in the Country and have now for many years.
Yep, it's insane. Our roads are also rarely plowed, it became a regular occurrence for neighbors to help push or tow stuck vehicles after a(nother) snowfall. So a few years back, one of the neighbors borrowed a big Volvo loader from work on Friday afternoon, and plowed out, cleared, piled up all the snow on the whole street, (and even did a few driveways, there was 50 cm of snow!) just like the city or contractors would if they ever got around to it.

City found out who did it and Bylaw enforcement slapped him with a $500 fine. He did fight it in court and judge threw it out, but what a lesson. Don't do the city's job for free, that they get paid to do and don't.

Idiots.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 10-26-2020, 02:37 PM

I remember a dude doing a good deed in ST Albert a few years back. Used his ATV to plow the sidewalk the town wasn't doing so his elderly neighbors and such could walk safely. Got a nice fine for that.

Then it got worse when he stood up/argued with the cops and got in even more trouble.

No good deed goes unpunished
Old 10-26-2020, 02:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KinAlberta View Post
This is in the news again today and its been an issue for years now! Totally bizarre!!!!!

I just don’t get it at all. If the developer is so incompetent that it can’t step up and fix it, why doesn't a resident just go out and do it themselves?

Residents frustrated after another deer impaled on fence in Cameron Heights | CBC News

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmon...ghts-1.5759820
More to the story (on CFRN last night).
The city actually owns a portion of the fence. The developer addressed the fence on their property two years ago by putting a rail atop the spikes.
The city claims they haven’t done it on the city owned fence because they need homeowners permission... though all the homeowners interviewed wanted it rectified.
Another case, it appears of ‘leave it to government and it takes five times longer than necessary’.
Old 10-26-2020, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramps.257 View Post
Amen brother
Old 10-26-2020, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner View Post
I remember a dude doing a good deed in ST Albert a few years back. Used his ATV to plow the sidewalk the town wasn't doing so his elderly neighbors and such could walk safely. Got a nice fine for that.

Then it got worse when he stood up/argued with the cops and got in even more trouble.

No good deed goes unpunished
Guy needs to go to court and fight those every time, even if it costs more than the ticket. . After u are acquitted file formal complaints with the town and the police force. If we keep taking this crap without fighting back these shuzbutts will keep doing it.
Old 10-26-2020, 03:10 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

I thought they said last year I believer that this was going to be rectified….as mentioned before grind off the spikes a little dab of paint...done.

idiots.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 10-26-2020, 10:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner View Post

He got in trouble because the cops told them not to block the road and he threatened them with a snow shovel. Having known the idiot in question since elementary school I was not surprised to hear that.
Old 10-26-2020, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetwaiter View Post
He got in trouble because the cops told them not to block the road and he threatened them with a snow shovel. Having known the idiot in question since elementary school I was not surprised to hear that.
Always interesting to see the other side of the coin. Tells u just how bent the media is that they never seem to report the balanced view, just what sells.
Old 10-27-2020, 06:55 AM

Wild animals have been adapting to man made structures and obstacles for hundreds of years, how many die every year on Alberta's roads ??????, how many more fall through thin ice that nobody knows about, etc. it is a fact of life and will continue to be a fact of life forever and a day.

Not sure it's even news worthy, do we hear every time a deer get's hit by a car in Strathcona county ?? NO because it happens an average of once a day, but the facebook gurus have their hooks in this one so hold onto your hats folks, plenty more to follow.

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 10-27-2020, 07:05 AM

Reminds me of that story out of Ontario a couple years back when the local gov’t was dragging their feet building a set of stairs and their estimated cost was like six figures or whatever to install some, so some older fella went and fixed it for a few hundred bucks in material and the govt freaked.
Old 10-27-2020, 07:42 AM

How many spikes? Should be doable with a few dudes and a few six packs.

Just put the cans on the spikes....
Old 10-27-2020, 07:57 AM

If you want the problem fixed you need to do exactly what the government does. Appeal to the snow flakes and let them b*tch and complain. Either some resident will get so frustrated they perform the midnight repair or the government will give into to snowflakes and order the repair be made by the developer.

This is one case where we could actually manipulate PETA to our advantage. Someone forward these stories onto them, let them protest until the government or developer cracks. Let PETA take the heat on this if they decide to perform the midnight repairs. After all our government loves to cater to terrorist organizations. IF IT SAVES JUST ONE DEER! ( So we can shoot it later)

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 10-27-2020, 08:07 AM

“( So we can shoot it later)“

Hahaha
Old 10-27-2020, 08:44 AM

When were spending over a billion a year for cbc they look for just about anything to report on to try and keep busy.
And a dead deer is way more important than whats going on with this country and the liberals...
Old 10-27-2020, 01:09 PM

Lots of animals are killed each year in encounters with fences, some are quite spectacular, well not for the animal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mA7lbBv-pYs
Old 10-27-2020, 01:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Always interesting to see the other side of the coin. Tells u just how bent the media is that they never seem to report the balanced view, just what sells.
I’m not gonna defend the media’s shallow coverage of these things but that’s not the whole story. When that happened there was a long thread on here about it, and I posted saying “hold on I know this guy and he’s been a hothead his whole life”. People jumped all over me, including one of his buddies who was perfectly willing to admit the event was typical behaviour in private but publicly was saying he was some sort of angel.

So think that through, how is the media going to give you nuanced report on something like this if everyone picks sides and toes the line?
Old 10-27-2020, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gevarm guy View Post
When were spending over a billion a year for cbc they look for just about anything to report on to try and keep busy.
And a dead deer is way more important than whats going on with this country and the liberals...
I believe the other night this news story was Global News not CBC.

I’m back. I was wrong, it was CTV (not Global, not CBC)

I didn't see the entire news story and the video here explains a lot.

However it is still bizarre that some strips of tin take years to procure and install.

Quote:
'You can still see the blood': Residents promised permanent fix for deadly fence before year end

Amanda Anderson, CTV News Edmonton, Published Sunday, October 25, 2020

Excerpts:

“...
In recent years, five deer and a moose have been impaled on the spiked fence.

“It’s very traumatizing for the people who live here, especially the ones that come across it initially,” said Melanie Wilson, a resident in the neighbourhood.

“ “There’s really no excuses for why it would take two years when we’ve seen the developer can come and do it very quickly,” Wilson said.”

https://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/mobile/y...-end-1.5160510

I didnt realize that the fence was fairly long. The article mentions 1.3 km (1300 metres/ 4265 ft).

Last edited by KinAlberta; 10-27-2020 at 07:40 PM.
Old 10-27-2020, 07:45 PM

Typical city deer. No skills....
Old 10-27-2020, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KinAlberta View Post
“( So we can shoot it later)“

Hahaha
Old Chinese proverb, Deer in freezer, don't get impaled on picket fences.

Grizz