Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-26-2020, 06:23 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohninAB View Post
Hmmm, let’s see Hal. Public sector shares an office with an oil company. It snows out so the public sector workers come in early and shovel their portion of the sidewalk so it is ready when office opens. The oil company has a service company travel 45 minutes one way to shovel their walk, all of 15 minutes, then drive back to their office 45 minutes away. Now please, explain to me, how this is more efficient than the public sector.
WOW!!!!!!
Old 10-26-2020, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal53 View Post
WOW!!!!!!
Wow!!!!!!
Old 10-26-2020, 06:44 PM
Banned

Which side of the fence people stand on aside.

I still believe the handling or outright attack on public health from Kenny's government during a pandemic is reckless.

This strike is at the feet of the UCP.

If they keep this up they may have a bigger problem if this spreads.
Old 10-26-2020, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Hmmm, let’s see Hal. Public sector shares an office with an oil company. It snows out so the public sector workers come in early and shovel their portion of the sidewalk so it is ready when office opens. The oil company has a service company travel 45 minutes one way to shovel their walk, all of 15 minutes, then drive back to their office 45 minutes away. Now please, explain to me, how this is more efficient than the public sector.
You are assuming that all public sector offices have laborers on site, and that no oil companies do. That isn't always the case. And you assuming that a unionized laborer will take it upon himself to come in and begin work outside of his/her regular hours, and that is seldom the case.
Old 10-26-2020, 06:52 PM

And all the managers are quietly laughing to themselves that all the attention is taken off them.
Audit the managers.
Just because you have been a yes man for 20 years shouldn’t mean your the best fit for the position.
Open up all the manager jobs and have interviews to get the best candidate for each position.
Then work your way down.
Old 10-26-2020, 06:58 PM

Nobody comes out of this mess as a winner.

But at the end of day healthcare is currently eats up ~50% of the provincial budget which the province no longer has the revenue to support the current spend. The private sector has been cutting left and right for a few years now, with the NDP out of the way, the difficult decisions can be made to try and get the provinces spending under control. Time for the public sector to get-in-line with what's going on in the real world.

Much of this could be delayed if not avoided if wage roll-backs would be accepted across the board however the unions will never agree to such a thing. Thus let'r buck. It won't be popular but something needs to be done. Suggest this is just the start of it.
Old 10-26-2020, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Map Maker View Post
And all the managers are quietly laughing to themselves that all the attention is taken off them.
Audit the managers.
Just because you have been a yes man for 20 years shouldn’t mean your the best fit for the position.
Open up all the manager jobs and have interviews to get the best candidate for each position.
Then work your way down.
Exactly, public service coporarions/departments are every bit as corruption as any private sector corporation, and more top heavy than many. It's time to audit the entire department for efficiencies.
Old 10-26-2020, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
You are assuming that all public sector offices have laborers on site, and that no oil companies do. That isn't always the case. And you assuming that a unionized laborer will take it upon himself to come in and begin work outside of his/her regular hours, and that is seldom the case.
You make a lot of assumptions and generalizations.

Ever been on a forest fire? Ever seen what hours are worked versus what get paid?

These were not labourers at this office, they were professional staff.

I was a unionized professional in the public service in that office so no assumptions on my part.
Old 10-26-2020, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Map Maker View Post
Audit the managers.
Then work your way down.

Now this I can absolutely agree with. I worked in and around Capital Health/Covenant Health sites and the big animal that AHS has become and this was blatantly obvious, even to someone like me that was not an employee and on the technical side. This was between 2002 and 2012.

AHS bloat is absolutely horrendous.

I do feel for all of the front line staff, from the doctors/RN's/LPN's/Lab techs/cooks/cleaners/shipping&receiving/trades etc. The size that AHS management has been allowed to grow into is disgusting. Unfortunately, front line will take the brunt..........for now, but hopefully somebody will have the cajones to tackle the real problem.
Old 10-26-2020, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penner View Post
Nobody comes out of this mess as a winner.

But at the end of day healthcare is currently eats up ~50% of the provincial budget which the province no longer has the revenue to support the current spend. The private sector has been cutting left and right for a few years now, with the NDP out of the way, the difficult decisions can be made to try and get the provinces spending under control. Time for the public sector to get-in-line with what's going on in the real world.

Much of this could be delayed if not avoided if wage roll-backs would be accepted across the board however the unions will never agree to such a thing. Thus let'r buck. It won't be popular but something needs to be done. Suggest this is just the start of it.
Bingo. 10% (or whatever) rollback for all provincial and municipal employees....everyone. That’s easy to understand and implement.
Old 10-26-2020, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Exactly, public service coporarions/departments are every bit as corruption as any private sector corporation, and more top heavy than many. It's time to audit the entire department for efficiencies.
Yes, agree 100%.
Old 10-26-2020, 07:18 PM

Quote:
You make a lot of assumptions and generalizations.

Ever been on a forest fire? Ever seen what hours are worked versus what get paid?

These were not labourers at this office, they were professional staff.

I was a unionized professional in the public service in that office so no assumptions on my part.
The people fighting fires are not office workers. As for unionized workers, many would never pick up a shovel , because it isn't in their job description. I have seen that first hand, as I had union contractors working for me, with my own workers of the same trade and jobs that my own non union workers had no issue doing, they would not do.
Old 10-26-2020, 07:28 PM

Elections have consequences and Kenney was given a four year mandate, if the majority doesn’t like the job he’s doing they’ll vote him out. Majority rules.
Old 10-26-2020, 07:30 PM

Quote:
The people fighting fires are not office workers. As for unionized workers, many would never pick up a shovel , because it isn't in their job description. I have seen that first hand, as I had union contractors working for me, with my own workers of the same trade and jobs that my own non union workers had no issue doing, they would not do.
Hmmm, your first sentence is false and proof of how bad your assumptions and generalizations are.
Old 10-26-2020, 07:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
"The blame for any disruption to patient care that may occur today needs to land squarely at the feet of Jason Kenney and the UCP."

Kenny can take a long leap off a cliff for all I care.....
The blame is firmly on the union loving Notley. The ndp are the ones that hired 10000 unneeded govt employees. Now it’s time to clean the mess up.
Blame The unions and Notley.
Old 10-26-2020, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Hmmm, your first sentence is false and proof of how bad your assumptions and generalizations are.
I have fought fires in the 80’s. Things changed? Never saw one suit out there. Lol
Old 10-26-2020, 07:43 PM

Quote:
So how do they manage to do their office jobs, if they are out fighting fires?
Old 10-26-2020, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
I have fought fires in the 80’s. Things changed? Never saw one suit out there. Lol
Exactly! Their office jobs can't be that critical if they can just drop them to go fight fires.
Old 10-26-2020, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Exactly! Their office jobs can't be that critical if they can just drop them to go fight fires.
:sHa_sarcastic lol:

Wow, what a misinformed statement. Happens when one has to grasp at straws because they are wrong.

Maybe go back to the drawing board, make up some new assumptions and generalizations and peddle them as fact.

As they say in baseball, strike 3, you are out!
Old 10-26-2020, 07:52 PM

Solidarity!
Old 10-26-2020, 08:37 PM
Gone Hunting

I just spent the day in High Level waiting for my wife to get out of surgery.

Next to the lane into the hospital was a group of people with signs. I was preoccupied and didn't look at the signs or ask any questions.

Now I wish I had. It they were support staff protesting layoffs I'd have joined them.

I support efforts to get spending under control but start at the top and work your way down, but that's never what happens is it.
No they start at the bottom and stop at the bottom.

In better times I would not take sides but now is not the time to risk peoples health by messing with health care staff whether they be nurses or cooks.

There are so many ways a government can cut spending that do not risk peoples health.

One good way to start is to eliminate bloated MLA pensions and give retired politicians the same pensions the rest of us have to live on.

That alone would save the government Billions per year.

To quote The Fraser Institute;

Quote:
In Alberta, taxpayers alone are now liable for just over $10.1 billion in various public sector pension liabilities.
Mind you we wouldn't save 10 billion but we should be able to save 1/3 of that by eliminating MLAs pension plan and putting them on all on CPP and OAS.

As far as I'm concerned our Police, Doctors, Soldiers, teachers, nurses Forestry and F&W and their support staff have earned their pensions.

MLAs have not.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 10-26-2020, 08:41 PM
Banned

The bloated admin has to be decimated for sure. I'm tired about hearing all the AHC restructuring, only to find out all the Golden handshakes to get these redundant people to leave
Old 10-26-2020, 08:45 PM

Pretty much everything the Gov't does they suck at.... not sure why people think Alberta's healthcare is so stellar and above reproach. We are the most expensive in Canada. As for generalizations yes public sector jobs are more secure, but why? I find it ridiculous that if someone sucks at their job you can't turf them. I realize that the unions have fought for some rights etc but I personally believe they have gone a bit far. I would also also say that while they made steps for oilfield workers rights they have now demanded so much that it makes Alberta a less desirable place to do business. Obviously not the only factor but I believe a factor nonetheless
Old 10-26-2020, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glion View Post
Pretty much everything the Gov't does they suck at.... not sure why people think Alberta's healthcare is so stellar and above reproach. We are the most expensive in Canada. As for generalizations yes public sector jobs are more secure, but why? I find it ridiculous that if someone sucks at their job you can't turf them. I realize that the unions have fought for some rights etc but I personally believe they have gone a bit far. I would also also say that while they made steps for oilfield workers rights they have now demanded so much that it makes Alberta a less desirable place to do business. Obviously not the only factor but I believe a factor nonetheless
I can't say for all unions, but I've been a shoppie. I had a manager complain about this to me. I told him pretty simply the fault was in his supervisors. They didn't document. They didn't discipline. They let things slide for ages. Then, they would dismiss people without going through due process. Then I, as the shoppie, would have to fight for someone who really didn't deserve it. All it takes is for the supervisors to do their jobs properly. Obviously, this doesn't always hold true, but it would definitely reduce the issues.
Old 10-26-2020, 09:17 PM

Quote:
:sHa_sarcastic lol:

Wow, what a misinformed statement. Happens when one has to grasp at straws because they are wrong.

Maybe go back to the drawing board, make up some new assumptions and generalizations and peddle them as fact.

As they say in baseball, strike 3, you are out!
As I posted, I had both union and non union employees working for me, and my experiences differ greatly from yours. You can comment on your particular situation, but that situation is not the standard in industry.
Old 10-26-2020, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Maybe we met.Had a job one summer filling CL215 Water bombers with retardant, air base in Inuvik. Those were fun days. 24 hours sunlight, no rest. Went fishing midnight along McKenzie River, caught some large Pike, then back to work. Mixing retardant, and filling planes. Along with Bird dog.
Old 10-26-2020, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertadiver View Post
I've said it before.

It's the management that needs to be cut. I've personally attended meetings with no less than 6 managers to deal with a small mundane issue where in the private sector would see a single individual representing the organization making decisions and moving things forward.

https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/more-than...hdog-1.5148514

900 Management positions exceed 130k in annual salaries.
Agree 100%

AHS is a colossal joke. Anyone remember when they were running up 10K a month cell phone bills? I do...
Old 10-26-2020, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmtada View Post
Maybe we met.Had a job one summer filling CL215 Water bombers with retardant, air base in Inuvik. Those were fun days. 24 hours sunlight, no rest. Went fishing midnight along McKenzie River, caught some large Pike, then back to work. Mixing retardant, and filling planes. Along with Bird dog.
No I was the one following up behind fires on the ground. Wajax bag strapped to the back and a pick axe. putting out hotspots. Mostly around the chinchaga area and northern Alberta.
Old 10-26-2020, 11:43 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Well all Imknow is that in the health care sector from the cleaners to the surgeons this is a complete poop show......back logged....wait times....doctors leaving and now we are going to privatize this area...by the time they get companies etc up to speed on proper protocols, training etc to exacts well that will be another few more hurdles slowing down the medical system.....timing poop for brains...timing....not to be implemented during a pandemic....nor to a sector that is behind the 8 ball already.....idiot.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 10-27-2020, 02:15 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
No I was the one following up behind fires on the ground. Wajax bag strapped to the back and a pick axe. putting out hotspots. Mostly around the chinchaga area and northern Alberta.
Then maybe we met. LOL Kidding. I worked with the Keg River Paddle crews and on many crews was the only white firefighter on the crew.

George Bernard Shaw