Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-26-2020, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
Maybe I’m wrong. I was under the impression they were protesting wage cuts.
I would still be interested in your wife’s wage as to compare it to something similar in the private sector though.
I am too curious what the wages are of these workers? Pensions as well?
Old 10-26-2020, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver lab View Post
Sounds like family will have to come in a clean up after their loved ones.
Has been happening all along anyhow. And not just in Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterngather View Post
He campaigned on bringing jobs back. He has done the opposite.
Doesn't happen overnight. Especially with the feds fighting to cripple us every step of the way.
Old 10-26-2020, 01:06 PM

[QUOTE=Trager;4255664]I am too curious what the wages are of these workers? Pensions as well?[/

Trager you can find some of the information you are looking for here. AUPE GSS has their contract on line. It doesnt show pension contributions but they are close to or around 10 % of standard work hours, the employer contributes the same amount. GSS Here is a link, hope this helps some. https://www.albertahealthservices.ca...-agreement.pdf
Old 10-26-2020, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal53 View Post
The general publics perception of the AUPE just sunk lower (if that's possible). Call on your members to initiate an illegal strike in the middle of a pandemic??...really???. Fire all those who walked out
Thanks Justin
Old 10-26-2020, 01:20 PM

There is not lack of assumptions here.

First off the point made earlier regarding the risks the support staff deal with is valid. The wife and I personally know people in the support staff department in healthcare who have been assaulted and have contacted illness(two suffer long term side effects) do to the job. It is not the same as working at a hotel.

The whole conflict between nurses and support staff is BS. Yes you will find people who have issues like any work place but this is not a wide spread issue. At times the refusal to do tasks is because it is outside of their scope. If the don’t refuse they can be written up. Also remember at times the task they are refusing is to safety as well. No doubt some people are just lazy you find them in every workforce

And yes they are getting laid off and are not guaranteed a job once it goes private. The job still needs to be done but there will be cut backs to staff and pay

I get cut backs are needed but this is still costing people their jobs. The walk out maybe a jerk move but really these people are being ignored and not being given much of an option.

Really this is a poorly managed situation and not good timing for the transition
Old 10-26-2020, 01:37 PM
Banned

Public workers/unions didn't give two hoots about the timing of layoffs and terminations in the private sector (actually, many union-loyalists openly cheered O&G terminations). Now they want sympathy? No way. No government job (nor any job) should be a tenured position.
Old 10-26-2020, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolpete1 View Post
lucky its not up to me , that walk out would be permanent and replaced with temporary foreign workers. should be illegal for unions in workplaces paid with tax dollars.
A lot of them will be replaced with foreign workers. That's why they walked out.
Old 10-26-2020, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal53 View Post
The general publics perception of the AUPE just sunk lower (if that's possible). Call on your members to initiate an illegal strike in the middle of a pandemic??...really???. Fire all those who walked out
And replace them with who ???? Jason picked a stupid time to start a fight.
Old 10-26-2020, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikeman06 View Post
I agree. Run them off and give another batch a shot at it. We all taking cuts and wages have been froze for 10 years for lots of us in the oil patch. Its the way she goes. Kenney has a big mess to try to clean up from the wicked witch of the west. Short term pain long term gain. I hear there's lotsa work in b.c if not happy here in sunny alberta.
There will be lots of work for those laid off in the oil patch with Jasons plan to privatizes all the various positions in health care. Keep in mind that your new job will probably pay $15 an hour.
Old 10-26-2020, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott h View Post
A lot of them will be replaced with foreign workers. That's why they walked out.
A lot of them are already foreign workers...
Old 10-26-2020, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trager View Post
I am too curious what the wages are of these workers? Pensions as well?
Here you go.

https://careers.albertahealthservices.ca/
Old 10-26-2020, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianPsycho View Post
Yes they are. Many born in Canada seem to think they are too good to take cleaning and support jobs.
Old 10-26-2020, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Wrong

Do to limited full time portions most fall under “casual” which means they are on call without set hours. A lot of theses people are wives/mothers who benefit from the flexible hours given them the ability to work and deal with family. It is also common for students expecially medical students because they can complete their education and build seniority in the union in some cases. It also gives them an introduction into the healthcare field

Yes there is those just trying to earn a paycheck and a small. A small percentage is going to be foreign too
Old 10-26-2020, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Yes they are. Many born in Canada seem to think they are too good to take cleaning and support jobs.
You must be in the lower mainland it is less common in many other areas
Old 10-26-2020, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
You must be in the lower mainland it is less common in many other areas
I'm not in the lower mainland any longer. The last time I was in the Rocky View for an extended period the was quite a few visible minorities in the support staff.
Old 10-26-2020, 02:06 PM

So much black and white logic on here. There will be arguments for both sides.

I have no doubt it is not run as efficient as possible. I also think cleaning up someone else's **** off a wall isn't a job I want. For what it's worth I think it should still be a job that is not for profit. I've seen health care when my mom had to go into long term care. The level she received at a shiny new private facility was pathetic compared to how she was cared for under a public facility.

Cutting corners on cleaning in any hospital should be dealt with very seriously. More efficient great. What I've seen of private healthcare, it was abysmal, We wouldn't want our dogs fed the food I saw, never mind our loved ones. They were just very understaffed, and looking at how to maximize their returns by providing the bare minimum.
Old 10-26-2020, 02:11 PM

This will provide job opportunities to those that want them. Those that are striking, will likely regret their decision.
Old 10-26-2020, 02:14 PM

I've said it before.

It's the management that needs to be cut. I've personally attended meetings with no less than 6 managers to deal with a small mundane issue where in the private sector would see a single individual representing the organization making decisions and moving things forward.

https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/more-than...hdog-1.5148514

900 Management positions exceed 130k in annual salaries.
Old 10-26-2020, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergerboy View Post
This will provide job opportunities to those that want them. Those that are striking, will likely regret their decision.
Nothing will happen to them. The patients that will go back onto the wait list for their surgeries that got cancelled may be a little upset however.

https://calgaryherald.com/news/local...t-ucp-policies
Old 10-26-2020, 02:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homesteader View Post
So much black and white logic on here. There will be arguments for both sides.

I have no doubt it is not run as efficient as possible. I also think cleaning up someone else's **** off a wall isn't a job I want. For what it's worth I think it should still be a job that is not for profit. I've seen health care when my mom had to go into long term care. The level she received at a shiny new private facility was pathetic compared to how she was cared for under a public facility.

Cutting corners on cleaning in any hospital should be dealt with very seriously. More efficient great. What I've seen of private healthcare, it was abysmal, We wouldn't want our dogs fed the food I saw, never mind our loved ones. They were just very understaffed, and looking at how to maximize their returns by providing the bare minimum.

You can clearly set out the expected standards in a contract with a private business.

Do you think Apple, Google, Microsoft etc. rely on public employees to build their prized technology to exacting standards? Of course not. Yet they are world-leaders.
Old 10-26-2020, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Nothing will happen to them. The patients that will go back onto the wait list for their surgeries that got cancelled may be a little upset however.

https://calgaryherald.com/news/local...t-ucp-policies
Unfortunate.
Old 10-26-2020, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertadiver View Post
I've said it before.

It's the management that needs to be cut. I've personally attended meetings with no less than 6 managers to deal with a small mundane issue where in the private sector would see a single individual representing the organization making decisions and moving things forward.

Absolutely. The biggest issue, in my experience, is that you have health care workers trying to do business type work. Completely different set of skills are needed to manage workers and budgets vs keeping someone alive.
Old 10-26-2020, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergerboy View Post
Unfortunate.
Yes, but totally predictable and expected.
Old 10-26-2020, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertadiver View Post
I've said it before.

This ^. Exactly this.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 10-26-2020, 02:57 PM

Quote:
X2. Yes many are foreign workers.
Old 10-26-2020, 03:12 PM

Quote:
There will be lots of work for those laid off in the oil patch with Jasons plan to privatizes all the various positions in health care. Keep in mind that your new job will probably pay $15 an hour.
Well if its all there is Scott.....i guess ill take er. Sitting on the couch watching the news, and collecting your 2000 a month are ya? You know where that money comes from eh? Doesn't grow in your mushroom patch. If there's work ill be workin.
Old 10-26-2020, 03:14 PM
Banned

Always amazed at the people who voted Kenney in because of his position of getting our debt under control and cutting government expense...then complain when he does it.
Just as the Liberals can’t go to the basement and print more money... neither can the conservatives.
Reminds me of the Klein years...when he started his slash and burn everyone hated him.
Eight years later when the province was prosperous again he was everyone’s hero.
Go figure.
Old 10-26-2020, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtodrick View Post
Always amazed at the people who voted Kenney in because of his position of getting our debt under control and cutting government expense...then complain when he does it.
Just as the Liberals can’t go to the basement and print more money... neither can the conservatives.
Reminds me of the Klein years...when he started his slash and burn everyone hated him.
Eight years later when the province was prosperous again he was everyone’s hero.
Go figure.
I remember that too, as I moved here to go to school in 1990. I had friends in or just getting into healthcare and education. Those that couldn't work here in healthcare ended up going to the US or places like Saudi Arabia for a few years. Teachers either changed careers or went to Asia to teach ESL for a while. Challenging times for many. That being said every industry was in the crapper at that time and all jobs were in short supply. Most people finishing their post secondary degrees/diplomas were S.O.L. when it came to getting work in their respective fields. Quite a few parallels between then and now.
Old 10-26-2020, 03:40 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

well at least they are not setting the streets on fire, rioting and looting....with the odd burst of sporadic gun fire.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 10-26-2020, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtodrick View Post
Go figure.
Bingo.

Those complaining should take lessons and apply it to their own finances.

They would be much further ahead once we finally crawl out of this.

But yeah, always someone elses fault...