Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-26-2020, 09:31 AM

Default Support works strike today.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbc.ca/amp/1.5776855
Old 10-26-2020, 09:35 AM

lucky its not up to me , that walk out would be permanent and replaced with temporary foreign workers. should be illegal for unions in workplaces paid with tax dollars.
Old 10-26-2020, 09:39 AM

The wife is walking across the street to the Hospital as I type this, going to join her coworkers on the Picket Line at SHC.

Great timing for the powers that be to call a Wildcat...

Old 10-26-2020, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolpete1 View Post
lucky its not up to me , that walk out would be permanent and replaced with temporary foreign workers. should be illegal for unions in workplaces paid with tax dollars.
Who do think does most of these jobs? To be honest these people are going to loose their jobs anyways. Minds well try to do something about it.
Old 10-26-2020, 09:50 AM

I was just at the Timmy's across from the university hospital ,and ask them what it was They Were Striking for and they said it was a walkout I said oh .

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 10-26-2020, 09:52 AM

Something smells.
Not authorized by the union, but union controlling the narrative.
Seems like the union instigated and then did not want blood on their hands.
Old 10-26-2020, 10:04 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

"The blame for any disruption to patient care that may occur today needs to land squarely at the feet of Jason Kenney and the UCP."

Kenny can take a long leap off a cliff for all I care.....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 10-26-2020, 10:05 AM
Gone Hunting

The general publics perception of the AUPE just sunk lower (if that's possible). Call on your members to initiate an illegal strike in the middle of a pandemic??...really???. Fire all those who walked out
Old 10-26-2020, 10:11 AM

What a mess...especially now, in these times of COVID...they want to outsource while we are in desperate times....Boo Kenny, I agree this whole thing just “stinks”....this will turn into a real problem when all those that may get laid off can’t find other work..there are only so many jobs out there right now. Let’s break some people’s backs and force them into a decaying way of life...sure that’s a good plan!
If only we all had some of our power back we all would be better off, our rights are being taken away behind our backs on the most part..just wait! This all will get uglier, if that’s even possible!
Zip

"Good judgement comes from experience, and experience...well,That comes from poor Judgement"
"KEEP SMILING"
Zip
Old 10-26-2020, 10:11 AM

Can't wait to see all these replies....

These workers weren't important enough for many here to care about but now that they walk out many will be outraged.

Can't have it both ways.
Old 10-26-2020, 10:13 AM

I agree. Run them off and give another batch a shot at it. We all taking cuts and wages have been froze for 10 years for lots of us in the oil patch. Its the way she goes. Kenney has a big mess to try to clean up from the wicked witch of the west. Short term pain long term gain. I hear there's lotsa work in b.c if not happy here in sunny alberta.
Old 10-26-2020, 10:19 AM

Alberta is going broke and health care is the province’s largest single cost. Our health care costs are higher per capital than any other province, so something has to give. For all of you that support this illegal walk out, what do you AHS should do to reduce costs? Or do you think we should just keep increasing taxes to cover union demands?

Gerry Burnie
Old 10-26-2020, 10:21 AM

Fire all those greedy fools.
Old 10-26-2020, 10:24 AM

Most of the folks striking are the ones facing layoffs with Kenny's privatization of certain hospital services, as far as I know pay cuts aren't the issue here.

I recall on another thread we beat to death the futility of Kenny's plan. Probably won't save any money, but it sure will benefit those awarded the contracts.

Anyhow, good on them for striking. They put the hospitals in AB to a standstill. ORs all on hold.
Old 10-26-2020, 10:27 AM

I"m kinda suspecting that Alberta's finances are worse than we're being led to believe. The Kenney and his staff voluntarily took a pretty hefty pay cut.

The other question is, do we trim services due to lack of income, or do you keep going full bore, run out of money, and the whole thing falls flat on its face.

Adding taxes will not help as many don't have the money to continue as is. Suicides and bankruptcies are at an all time high, I hear.
Old 10-26-2020, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittman View Post
Most of the folks striking are the ones facing layoffs with Kenny's privatization of certain hospital services, as far as I know pay cuts aren't the issue here.

I recall on another thread we beat to death the futility of Kenny's plan. Probably won't save any money, but it sure will benefit those awarded the contracts.

Anyhow, good on them for striking. They put the hospitals in AB to a standstill. ORs all on hold.
They will also have a bigger pile of laundry to do!
Old 10-26-2020, 10:34 AM

I will never support a strike let alone an illegal walk out. Go back to work or quit. End of story
Old 10-26-2020, 11:04 AM

Good on them! They get treated like garbage and paid worse to begin with. Might as well do something about it, i hope government listens for once. heath care is expensive, and the problems are far above anyone who works with their hands. I wish it would have an effect, but it seems the people in this province believe that they only people who should be paid a livable wage are trades people the rest of us can simply starve.
Old 10-26-2020, 11:37 AM

Psycho, my wife is a nurse and I have 3 j-men working for me, so you can’t BS me about who makes what.

We already have the highest health care costs in the country, and you think we should pay more?

Why should a house keeper or food services worker in AHS make more than someone in the private sector who is performing the same duties?

Gerry Burnie
Old 10-26-2020, 11:48 AM

Having been cancer ward. I wasn’t impressed with support staff. The nurses did good job, the support crew was questionable. I always noticed tension when nurses asked support staff for help (clean up in room, etc). Many support staff, would say not my job, or perform job very grudgingly. Or when send patient with a porter in a cart from operation room, to whatever sector they are in. They leave take cart, not take back empty cart (if there is one). Then porter shows up later (15 minute walk), back to pick up empty cart. These inefficiency are reflective of the workforce. I believe the Nurses have a tough time, balance everything (patients, doctors, supervision, and managing support). Just couple days observation. I am sure there are more issues. Privatize this group is good. Then weed out workers whom provide bad service, hire better employees, no need to be stuck. Pay market wages, market benefits. I support this move by UCP. Alberta voted to trim costs. Now the government is following through. Private sector has been decimated for 5 years. Time public sector feel pain.
Old 10-26-2020, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
Fire all those greedy fools.
All those greedy fools will be loosing their jobs anyway.... go ahead fire them. Lol!
I told my wife today (she is one of them loosing her job) to quit now, they all should quit today and let the Alberta government deal with it.
Good luck with your hospital, clinic and all the old folks homes....

Sounds like family will have to come in a clean up after their loved ones.
Old 10-26-2020, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver lab View Post
All those greedy fools will be loosing their jobs anyway.... go ahead fire them. Lol!
I told my wife today (she is one of them loosing her job) to quit now, they all should quit today and let the Alberta government deal with it.

What does your wife do and what wage is she paid currently for performing it?
Old 10-26-2020, 12:05 PM

Quote:

Many people want the effects of a global recession to be someone else's problem.
Old 10-26-2020, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal53 View Post
The general publics perception of the AUPE just sunk lower (if that's possible). Call on your members to initiate an illegal strike in the middle of a pandemic??...really???. Fire all those who walked out
Laying off 11,000 public health workers in the midst of a pandemic is ok. ? Efficiencies or not, it's going to be disruptive.

Grizz
Old 10-26-2020, 12:18 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
Laying off 11,000 public health workers in the midst of a pandemic is ok. ? Efficiencies or not, it's going to be disruptive.

Grizz
Uh.....do you know when the lay offs were slated for???....whats stopping those workers in the laundry and food services from going to work for a private contractor that is going to provide the service??? Have you ever seen any government, anywhere run something more efficiently than someone from the private sector can????
Old 10-26-2020, 12:18 PM

Quote:

if they quit, they dont get severance, and ei .....
Old 10-26-2020, 12:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post

Grizz
Yup, why this Government would chose to go to war with the health sector during a pandemic is idiotic.

He campaigned on bringing jobs back. He has done the opposite. Simple.

His governments handling of the Health portfolio has been a disaster.
Old 10-26-2020, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC View Post
Psycho, my wife is a nurse and I have 3 j-men working for me, so you can’t BS me about who makes what.

We already have the highest health care costs in the country, and you think we should pay more?

Why should a house keeper or food services worker in AHS make more than someone in the private sector who is performing the same duties?
This has nothing to do with nurses. This has everything to do with support staff. How many private sector cleaners have to deal with MRSA? How about ARO? how about dealing with mentally ill folks who would happily assault them? I have friends at all levels of healthcare, and the work the cleaners and laundry people do is just as essential as the doctors and nurses. Im all for making AHS more efficient, but not at the cost of jobs for good people who work hard and make not much more than people at timmies.
Old 10-26-2020, 12:34 PM
Banned

The idea of layoffs is a red herring. The jobs will still exist, they will just be under the name of a private employer. The real loser will be the union as they will lose those sweet, sweet union dues they steal from their members.
Old 10-26-2020, 12:35 PM

Quote:

Maybe I’m wrong. I was under the impression they were protesting wage cuts.
I would still be interested in your wife’s wage as to compare it to something similar in the private sector though.