Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-18-2020, 09:16 PM

Default May have found a solution for Itchy scalp.

Since I got my first OAS cream cheque this summer I've been experiencing an itchy scalp with very little to no dandruff, I still have lots of thick wavy unruly hair, if I start scratching mainly the back of the head it gets worst. The woman who cuts my hair gave me a sampler of something called Moroccan Oil for conditioning & said to rinse out any shampoo with the coldest water temp I could stand then apply the sample oil. It helps a bit but still itching .

Didn't see any miracle treatments on the internet, asked a clerk at Shoppers if they sell anything she would recommend, nothing really.

Other that putting bear fat or axle grease in my hair has anyone here found something that works for you ?

Tks

D.

Old 10-18-2020, 09:23 PM

pharmacist knows best
Old 10-18-2020, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cement Bench View Post
pharmacist knows best
Was hoping you would post something more .... concrete.

Tks

D.

Old 10-18-2020, 09:34 PM

Nizoral shampoo might work, or tea tree oil might too... or talk to a pharmacist 😝
Old 10-18-2020, 09:41 PM

Are you itchy anywhere else? How long has this been a problem? I also have an itchy scalp, but it goes along with other itchy problems all over. I know it sounds funny, but it really isn't. Maybe you have underlying issues that you never thought of before, sort of like I did.

PM me if you want details.
Old 10-18-2020, 09:46 PM

I was having really bad problems for a while now, so bad sometimes I was scratching till I bled...no, not cooties. I have been using a really good quality shampoo and conditioner for 30 years, with tea tree oil in it, and never had issues really, but found out it was the issue...it was drying my scalp out something fierce (using it daily). Tea tree oil will strip the natural oils right out of your scalp for sure, and will dry it out. And I think as you get older, you stop producing as much natural oils...so that's why it is a fairly recent (6 months) development for me.

I tried using mint oil on my scalp, which kinda helped, and witchhazel, and few other things, but nothing was a 'cure' . Then, the best advice I got was...stop using any shampoo at all, just warm or hot water and a good scalp massage during shower, a cold rinse if you can handle it. Restores natural oils, but you don't have to look 'greasy'. I use the shampoo maybe once a week, and it has made a huge difference, my scalp is pretty much healed up. Part of the problem too, is how hard our water is, and it maybe doesn't rinse the shampoo good enough either.

It's free to try.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone

Last edited by Twisted Canuck; 10-18-2020 at 09:54 PM.
Old 10-18-2020, 10:10 PM

C-chef ... will investigate Nizoral shampoo the Mrs has tea tree oil, smells but not effective.

H-65 ... it's only my scalp mainly the back of my head and around the temples.

Twisted-C ... we installed a water softener about 5 years ago, will give your no shampoo suggestion a try, maybe natural oils will be the key to helping the annoying itching.

Tks for the feedback.

Cheers

D.

Old 10-18-2020, 10:33 PM

Selsun 2.5 Extra Strength.
Selenium Sulfide Lotion (Shampoo)
Old 10-18-2020, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckhead View Post
Selsun 2.5 Extra Strength.
Selenium Sulfide Lotion (Shampoo)
Interesting shampoo's will put them on my list.

Tks

D.

Old 10-18-2020, 11:27 PM

Talk to your doctor. I had the same issue about 15 years ago and got some prescriptions meds for that. It took me a month to get rid of it. Doc said I had some kind of an allergic reaction to the shampoo my hear dresser used on me....
Old 10-19-2020, 05:45 AM

Pert 2 in 1 shampoo. Available everywhere!!!
Old 10-19-2020, 06:29 AM

How hot are your showers? Because I find if I have a hot shower, it makes it do dry that my scalp gets quite itchy. I've cooled my showers to be a little less hot, sometimes Luke-warm, and that helps. Also conditioner (any kind) helps.
Old 10-19-2020, 07:09 AM

Shave of your hair for starters. Much easier to keep clean of possible irritants and you never have to comb it
Old 10-19-2020, 07:14 AM
Banned

Coconut oil works in my case. Having 1/8" of hair makes it easy to apply
Old 10-19-2020, 08:31 AM

Nizoral contains Ketoconozale which is a anti-fungal. Many times dandruff and itchy patches can be due to fungal infections.
Most older technology dandruff shampoos use tar oils to weight and keep down dandruff and moisten the scalp. Newer ones use zinc or salicylic acids to slow skin cell development. Nizoral may show some benefit over time.

Check with a pharmacist for drug interactions
Dang reading this thread made my scalp itchy for the first time in years

Last edited by omega50; 10-19-2020 at 08:40 AM.
Old 10-19-2020, 08:54 AM

I will switch to PolyTar when I have scalp issues. Also found a Head & Shoulders Clinical Strength helps out too.

I don't use them for extended periods, seems to help me.

If I get persistent itchy bumps, I use a Psoriasis topical ointment, I dab it on before going to bed.
Old 10-19-2020, 10:02 AM

Cream rinse helps keep your scalp moist according to the lady that used to cut my hair.
Old 10-19-2020, 10:38 AM

Every time you wash your hair you knock out all the natural oils.
I had dry scalp issues until I stopped washing my hair every day.
Maybe try skipping a day or two a week with the shampoo.
Old 10-19-2020, 10:39 AM

Try mixing apple cider vinegar with water and using it as a rinse. I use about 1/4 cup to 3/4 cup of water in a bottle and when I feel the itch I rinse with it. A mixture like this lasts for a few washes.

ACV has antifungal and antibacterial properties.

BW
Old 10-19-2020, 10:55 AM

Wow ... lots of good suggestions worth trying .... looks like I'm not the only one with an itchy scalp.

Tks for all the posts, now I can put the bear/goose fat & axle grease away.

Cheers

D.

Old 10-19-2020, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip-in-Z View Post
Was hoping you would post something more .... concrete.

Tks

D.
my advice was the best

your question should have been, any suggestions so I can talk to my guy with enough info to get some results

also we need more info as some have suggested

allergic reactions, scalp issues and many factories go into solving this problem you have

some have given good suggestions but you need to type out all the symptoms and how long they last and give it to the pharmacistand then go for lunch

give the pharmacist person time to think on it with any other meds you are taking and they can send your hair away and scalp away for samples

only then will you get long term relief

was not trying to be silly but quite a complex area to just try to give simple solutions THAT WOULD HAVE ANY CHANCE OF PERMANENT SUCCESS

is that better?

pharmacist is still the go to guy. as the saying used to be

good luck this issue may take time to,solve. mine took a year and still not perfect
Old 10-19-2020, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigwoodsman View Post
Try mixing apple cider vinegar with water and using it as a rinse. I use about 1/4 cup to 3/4 cup of water in a bottle and when I feel the itch I rinse with it. A mixture like this lasts for a few washes.

ACV has antifungal and antibacterial properties.

BW
Apple Cider Vinegar works for me
Old 10-19-2020, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
Nizoral shampoo might work, or tea tree oil might too... or talk to a pharmacist 😝
I too have dry skin in winter. Tried Nizoral, works okay for me. I might use it quite a bit for week or two. Then stop. Reapply when it re-emerges.
Old 10-19-2020, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
I was having really bad problems for a while now, so bad sometimes I was scratching till I bled...no, not cooties. I have been using a really good quality shampoo and conditioner for 30 years, with tea tree oil in it, and never had issues really, but found out it was the issue...it was drying my scalp out something fierce (using it daily). Tea tree oil will strip the natural oils right out of your scalp for sure, and will dry it out. And I think as you get older, you stop producing as much natural oils...so that's why it is a fairly recent (6 months) development for me.

I tried using mint oil on my scalp, which kinda helped, and witchhazel, and few other things, but nothing was a 'cure' . Then, the best advice I got was...stop using any shampoo at all, just warm or hot water and a good scalp massage during shower, a cold rinse if you can handle it. Restores natural oils, but you don't have to look 'greasy'. I use the shampoo maybe once a week, and it has made a huge difference, my scalp is pretty much healed up. Part of the problem too, is how hard our water is, and it maybe doesn't rinse the shampoo good enough either.

It's free to try.
Since this COVID-19 has been going. I also haven’t been showering as often (wife hates it..lol...), however my skin is better, less dry. With more natural oils. You maybe onto something....
Old 10-19-2020, 11:12 AM

Thumbs up Congratulations Pilgrim

Sounds like you're no longer wet behind the ears.

I'll ad a couple more ideas:
Has the formula of your regular shampoo, or your barbers shampoo changed recently? Could be a reaction to a "new and improved" formula.
Avoid anything scented, as it usually contains a higher concentration of alcohol, which causes dry irritation.

Has the chlorine content in your water changed recently? I have noticed a higher concentration of chlorine in Calgary water over the last few months, with a corresponding increase in dry skin on my hands and face.

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 10-19-2020, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cement Bench View Post
my advice was the best

your question should have been, any suggestions so I can talk to my guy with enough info to get some results

also we need more info as some have suggested

allergic reactions, scalp issues and many factories go into solving this problem you have

some have given good suggestions but you need to type out all the symptoms and how long they last and give it to the pharmacistand then go for lunch

give the pharmacist person time to think on it with any other meds you are taking and they can send your hair away and scalp away for samples

only then will you get long term relief

was not trying to be silly but quite a complex area to just try to give simple solutions THAT WOULD HAVE ANY CHANCE OF PERMANENT SUCCESS

is that better?

pharmacist is still the go to guy. as the saying used to be

good luck this issue may take time to,solve. mine took a year and still not perfect

Much better, tks for taking the time to share some thoughts.

Being silly is OK, too.

Cheers

D.

Old 10-27-2020, 08:36 PM

Was at Shoppers the other day & spoke to the pharmacist she suggested trying "Nizoral" which you use sparingly so I bought some. Yesterday I got a hair cut, my stylist suggested I may have recently had a allergic reaction to the detergent in the shampoo I use, told her I change shampoo's regularly, she said they all have the same detergent in there formula. So far I used the Nizoral & no more itchy scalp & hair all over the back of my my t-shirt.

Now I plan to use Nizoral & then conditioner twice a week for the next 3-4 weeks, thereafter rinse with cool water no more shampoo.

D.

Old 10-27-2020, 08:51 PM

excellent, good luck and let us know in a month
Old 10-27-2020, 09:03 PM

Default What Are You Willing To Do

Cut it all off. Buy a hair trimer. Cut it down to the bone, don't need the number one attachment, don't use any attachment, this provides the closest cut.

Your problems will be gone quickly and will not come back. If you need hair, grow it on your face.
Old 10-27-2020, 10:08 PM
Banned

Could be psoriasis or some type of food allergy? I had a couple of itchy spots that cleared up after I stopped eating gluten.