Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-27-2020, 07:30 PM

Exclamation Garage lighting- deformable led's

Has anyone tried them?
Amazon had a deal on, so I bought 3 packs of 2 4 'petal' 80w 8000lumen lights for $42.00 per pack shipped.

I just ordered 8 more but these ones are 100w 10,000 lumen.

I have a few lights on the wall sticking out sideways, which works very well for under the 4 post lift, or darker corners like over the lathe.

I keep second-guessing myself, thinking I should order more.

Even with the 6 I put up, there are far less shadows, 0 wasted energy from heat, and far nicer brighter lights.

I have tried CFL's and led lights already, these are the best so far.

Cool units.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 10-27-2020, 07:32 PM

We bought a few packs of these from Costco and they’re great in the garage.
Old 10-27-2020, 07:40 PM

I put one of the Costco ones on the ceiling at the front of my garage. I only have an 8' ceiling however, so they're pretty bright to walk towards.
Old 10-27-2020, 09:17 PM

I just put an LED light in my kitchen from Home Depot Not a clue how it works, but bright way beyond expectations and a 2 'x 4' panel about 3/4 " thick. Love it. Are these similar ?

Grizz
Old 10-27-2020, 10:25 PM

Tried the deformables from Amazon and enjoyed them. I've got a bunch of the 4' LED shop lights, both the Noma CT version and the Amazon ones and love them. They seem to draw less current than the LEDs and lead to fewer tripped breakers.
Old 10-28-2020, 07:39 AM

We put 3 of those in a work shed that’s about 20’ to the rafters, I don’t know the wattage but it’s a night and day difference now. I want to put some in my basement until we start renovating.
Old 10-28-2020, 08:11 AM

Make sure you have a peak to see if they are CSA certified. Also remember that majority of 5 star reviews for items from China are fake. They purchase reviews in places such as facebook in exchange for free items.
Old 10-28-2020, 08:13 AM

Default Deform

I have a pair in my unheated, attached garage. Been a year and half. Nothing bad to say at all!
Old 10-28-2020, 08:34 AM

Happy with mine!
Old 10-28-2020, 08:57 AM

So I took a look on Amazon and there are a hundred different suppliers - those that have had them awhile, which brand do you have?
Old 10-28-2020, 09:03 AM

I got the most powerful I could find. These are 150W and insanely bright, I am very satisfied with them.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/B08BYW...b_b_asin_title
Old 10-28-2020, 09:15 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

LED Garage Light, 150W Deformable Garage LED Lights, 15000 Lumens ordered...

thx Ken....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 10-28-2020, 09:54 AM

Default Lights

Costco four pedal nice and bright in garage
Old 10-28-2020, 09:59 AM

Just put an extra mercury street light inside my garage. Sure throws a lot of light.
Old 10-28-2020, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GENINC View Post
I got the most powerful I could find. These are 150W and insanely bright, I am very satisfied with them.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/B08BYW...b_b_asin_title
Mine are the exact same, but the first 6 are 80w, the second 8 on the way are 100w, 2 for $39.99 plus a $3.00 coupon off.

Bet they are the same wattage too, lol

I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 10-28-2020, 12:51 PM

I also bought those from Amazon more than a year ago, and they are so awesome that two of my friends asked me to order more for them. The garage is lit so bright now!
Two of them started flickering at my buddy’s place because he keeps forgetting to turn them off all the time and I contacted the seller almost a year later and they sent me the replacement free of charge. Very happy!
Old 10-28-2020, 01:21 PM

Wow good to know !

Old 10-28-2020, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
Mine are the exact same, but the first 6 are 80w, the second 8 on the way are 100w, 2 for $39.99 plus a $3.00 coupon off.

Bet they are the same wattage too, lol
Possible, it's Chinese after all. Should be easy enough to test with a snap around multimeter and see how many amps it's drawing but I don't have one.
Old 10-28-2020, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewM View Post
Make sure you have a peak to see if they are CSA certified. Also remember that majority of 5 star reviews for items from China are fake. They purchase reviews in places such as facebook in exchange for free items.
Nothing I have bought from amazon is CSA certified. FCC CE is the only thing on the box, and that is for radio frequency.

Old 10-28-2020, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Nothing I have bought from amazon is CSA certified. FCC CE is the only thing on the box, and that is for radio frequency.
Yes happens all the time. Light switches same thing. If something happened, I wonder if one would get insurance?
Old 10-28-2020, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Yes happens all the time. Light switches same thing. If something happened, I wonder if one would get insurance?
I could have bet $1,000,000 that you would say that very thing lol.

Good point, but lol

Old 10-28-2020, 03:38 PM

Quote:
I could have bet $1,000,000 that you would say that very thing lol.

Good point, but lol
Lol. Most likely because you were thinking the same thing once I said it! Only reason I said it was I have noticed reviews saying things aren't CSA certified. Then it got me questioning if I can trust the items or not and then got me onto insurance. Would hate for someone to learn the hard way over saving a few bucks!
Old 10-28-2020, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Lol. Most likely because you were thinking the same thing once I said it! Only reason I said it was I have noticed reviews saying things aren't CSA certified. Then it got me questioning if I can trust the items or not and then got me onto insurance. Would hate for someone to learn the hard way over saving a few bucks!
Also good point, and this was certainly not about saving a few bucks, those lights cost me $400. I just want more light in the garage without a bunch of wasted heat. If I worry about it I can put a tin or aluminum shield between them and the drywall.

Old 10-28-2020, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Also good point, and this was certainly not about saving a few bucks, those lights cost me $400
True but willing to be the costco ones are certified but I have no idea how the price compares. Must be cheaper than installing more lighting though! What bugs me is I read this:

"All of the Canadian provinces have adopted the CSA electrical standards, which means that certification is mandatory for all electrical products to be installed in Canada."

But then I see items for sale on amazon without it. Clearly against the regulations.
Old 10-28-2020, 03:49 PM

Costco doesnt even show them online.

Weird.

Old 10-28-2020, 03:50 PM

I have never seen them in store either but seems every costco is a bit different.
Old 10-28-2020, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Costco doesnt even show them online.

Weird.
They show up on the app as 80W 8000Lumens. $37 online but out of stock. cUL approved which is similar to CSA.
Old 10-28-2020, 04:02 PM

well, the one saving grace I guess is that there is nearly zero heat from the led's, and searching 'deformable led garage lighting causes fire/fire/danger/recalls doesn't come up with anything.

It is amazing there is no heat, magical almost lol. With certification they would be perfect, but then of course they would be triple the price.

It's an odd game.

There are 21 sockets in my garage, 13 on the ceiling and 8 on the walls. You can clearly see heat deformation or discoloration from the CSA approved incandescent lights lol.

Old 10-28-2020, 04:09 PM

Quote:
well, the one saving grace I guess is that there is nearly zero heat from the led's, and searching 'deformable led garage lighting causes fire/fire/danger/recalls doesn't come up with anything.

It is amazing there is no heat, magical almost lol. With certification they would be perfect, but then of course they would be triple the price.

It's an odd game.

There are 21 sockets in my garage, 13 on the ceiling and 8 on the walls. You can clearly see heat deformation or discoloration from the CSA approved incandescent lights lol.
And that low heat should protect better from a fire. So a hot other type or a cool LED. Seems LED should be much better to me but I am not an electrician. The light the put off is amazing though for the little space they occupy!
Old 10-28-2020, 04:44 PM

Quote:
And that low heat should protect better from a fire. So a hot other type or a cool LED. Seems LED should be much better to me but I am not an electrician. The light the put off is amazing though for the little space they occupy!
Another good point I guess, if the lights are on in the garage I am out there. I have water and extinguishers everywhere, plus the breaker box is right at the door. Power off empty extinguisher, into attic to attack from above, then call 911 to get my truck on the way lol.

My wife wants one for her hobby room, you can bet your life THAT one will be CSA