Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 06-24-2020, 08:09 PM
Banned

Default Scout rifle concept

Anyone have experience with the scout rifles? I just mounted an Aimsport 2 x 7 x 42 scout scope on my Savage scout rifle. I had earlier replaced that Gawd awful muzzle break with a Dlask linear compensator and now I'm anxious to do some testing.
Anyone please chime in, I'm curious to hear your thoughts on this rifle style.
Old 06-24-2020, 09:32 PM

I’m no help on this situation but I’ve always wanted a scout rifle setup. Just haven’t put one together yet. I’m chimed in for other people’s input and experiences.
Old 06-24-2020, 10:29 PM

Have two scout style hunting rifles. My favorite platform
Old 06-25-2020, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed1 View Post
Have two scout style hunting rifles. My favorite platform
What actions are your scout rifles?
Old 06-25-2020, 09:19 AM

Default Scout

Took me awhile to get used to the weight being forward, and using a LER scope. But quite happy with the rifle now after using it for a few seasons.
Savage 10 FCM, Vortex 2-7
Old 06-25-2020, 11:44 AM

Tried one of the Ruger LH 308s. Sold it fairly soon after getting it. To me it was a solution looking for a problem that did not exist. It did nothing better than a regular platform bolt action. Might have some application in a Semi auto for very specific uses, but as a hunting tool, I found it a pretty poor option, especially if you are trying to shoot longer distances like to occasional power line shot. Others seem to like them but I have never heard anyone be able to explain exactly what it is they find better about the scout setup.
Old 06-25-2020, 12:40 PM
Banned

ya i'm a little lost on the concept also, it's hard to blend as many styles into one as you can but i've come pretty close to it with my latest 'do all' project

i can see it being excellent for offhand shooting in shorter range situations, bush type gun with needing quicker shots in close but i've also landed doubles on coyotes in pretty short ranges with bolt actions and regular big game scope magnifications so not sure how much faster one needs to be? being able to lay over a pack and dial things up at distance is much more common imo and prefer that versatility. i do like the magazine concept of the scouts though, detach and higher capacity, that's about it though

my latest 'do all' is a ruger amercian ranch 6.5 grendel, 36" long and low profile scope arrangement, dials up to over 600 yards, fixed 6x36 scope, 10 round mags, 7.5 lbs all up with said 10 rounds, added a quick adjust 2 point sling and it does it all from defense/predator/big game/range fun that anyone can shoot well, next level barrel life and affordable to shoot factory, pretty stoked about the little bugger and looking forward to putting it to work shortly
Old 06-25-2020, 05:08 PM
Banned

My guess is they are designed for hog hunters running night optics
Old 06-25-2020, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redneck 7 View Post
What actions are your scout rifles?
One is a mauser action in 308 and one is built off a lee enfield in 303. I run either a forward mounted low powered scope or a red dot
Old 06-25-2020, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Tried one of the Ruger LH 308s. Sold it fairly soon after getting it. To me it was a solution looking for a problem that did not exist. It did nothing better than a regular platform bolt action. Might have some application in a Semi auto for very specific uses, but as a hunting tool, I found it a pretty poor option, especially if you are trying to shoot longer distances like to occasional power line shot. Others seem to like them but I have never heard anyone be able to explain exactly what it is they find better about the scout setup.
I like short fast pointing guns that are easy to carry and are quick on target and more instinctive for quick shots in tight cover. I have come to love tight bush hunting as opposed to open field hunting the last 4-5 seasons. I find the weight being out farther makes the quick offhand shots faster/ better than a std mounted scope.
Old 06-25-2020, 05:54 PM
Banned

i've been awful tempted to run a reflex sight like leupold deltapoint pro, or holosun 507c on a 45 degree mount much like they do in the AR world, the things are tiny and super fast, it almost made the consideration for my latest do all rig but having dumped running coyotes at 30 yards on 4x i decided i'll probably be ok for most of my work with the fixed 6x, if i get more into that bush hunting i'll be doing the reflex site on the 45 degree before going to scout set up to keep the flexibility for all the other hunting as well as being really fast in the tight stuff

so the AR military or competition guys typically run a magnified optic to take them quickly to 300 yards-ish(3-4x pretty common) then the reflex site with 50 yard zero on 45 degree mount where they quickly cant the gun for the in close fast two eyes open stuff, i could see savvy bush/coyote hunters looking into this option...start googling 'dual optic' set ups and you'll see this is very popular format for speed, no reason it has to just be an 'AR' thing...the concept and performance is sound for hunting, and guys are using it for hunting
Old 06-25-2020, 06:38 PM

I put a Krico Mod 700 together for a limited range heavy cover rifle.
Chambered in 30-06 with a 19 in. barrel it has a self imposed max range of 100yds and exclusively packs 220 grain RN bullets. I put a Skinner LO-Pro Ghost ring aperture sight on it. All-up weight is just under 8 lbs. and perfectly balanced for me. With a double set trigger and dialed in for 75 yds it does just under an inch for five shots. It`s not quiet nor exceptionally pleasant to shoot , but it will get a job done if called for.
Old 06-25-2020, 07:02 PM

Sounds like a great platform for hunting in cover. There is a huge Scout rifle thread that's a sticky on hunting and sporting arms over at CGN...
Old 06-25-2020, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Coyote View Post
i've been awful tempted to run a reflex sight like leupold deltapoint pro, or holosun 507c on a 45 degree mount much like they do in the AR world, the things are tiny and super fast, it almost made the consideration for my latest do all rig but having dumped running coyotes at 30 yards on 4x i decided i'll probably be ok for most of my work with the fixed 6x, if i get more into that bush hunting i'll be doing the reflex site on the 45 degree before going to scout set up to keep the flexibility for all the other hunting as well as being really fast in the tight stuff

so the AR military or competition guys typically run a magnified optic to take them quickly to 300 yards-ish(3-4x pretty common) then the reflex site with 50 yard zero on 45 degree mount where they quickly cant the gun for the in close fast two eyes open stuff, i could see savvy bush/coyote hunters looking into this option...start googling 'dual optic' set ups and you'll see this is very popular format for speed, no reason it has to just be an 'AR' thing...the concept and performance is sound for hunting, and guys are using it for hunting
I happen to love playing airsoft and use that set up on my m4.
After finding it incredibly useful for both long/ mid and right up close I attempted to rig my short 308 up similarly. Things I noticed the vertical grip on an ar allows you to rotate very easily and quickly. The more horizontal grip on a std pistol grip hunting stock is not nearly so easily rotated comfortably.
Other things I found. A 308 with its buttstock twisted 45 deg doesn't sit well in the pocket if your shoulder and kicks smartly. A lower recoiling rifle (5.56) would not hurt near as much I would imagine
Just my observations
Old 06-25-2020, 08:07 PM

I got the Savage 11 .308 scout last year. My scope is a Hi-lux 2-7x32 , I got a ching sling to go with it . It took me awhile to get used to the scope . It's a nice package, 18in barrel it all weighs about 7.6lbs .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0727 (1).jpg (78.0 KB, 63 views)
Old 06-25-2020, 09:52 PM

Great input everyone. That’s where I kinda got stumped was between bolt and lever, and then between scout scope or a reflex.

I mounted my Leupold RDS on my old pump .308 I refinished. It was way to high for the eye position on the stock. But I think that would be the best way to go personally. A reflex on a pump or bolt. I watch hog drives in Europe on YouTube, lots of guys and gals with bolt actions with just a red dot and their marksmanship is amazing. That’s when I figured I should have a rifle set up like that. P
Old 06-25-2020, 10:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
I happen to love playing airsoft and use that set up on my m4.
After finding it incredibly useful for both long/ mid and right up close I attempted to rig my short 308 up similarly. Things I noticed the vertical grip on an ar allows you to rotate very easily and quickly. The more horizontal grip on a std pistol grip hunting stock is not nearly so easily rotated comfortably.
Other things I found. A 308 with its buttstock twisted 45 deg doesn't sit well in the pocket if your shoulder and kicks smartly. A lower recoiling rifle (5.56) would not hurt near as much I would imagine
Just my observations
I have had a taste of this pistol grip set up and admit it’s highly useful and natural. The little Howa 6.5 Grendel I have for my kids in an Mdt chassis with AR accessories has been absolutely deadly to shoot. I took it coyote hunting and surprised me how quickly it handles and naturally I get on target, lots of control and great ergos with these platforms. Agree the pistol grip would make that can’t more efficient and recoil would be a consideration on short action cartridges and bigger, good point. Since I’ve dumped almost everything for Grendels recoil just isn’t a thought anymore. Playing with this new rig I think it would still work. It won’t be as easy to find the right mounts to make a reflex work on the cant for a regular rifle as the chassis or AR styles where you can mount anything anywhere. But I had my eye on a rail mount and also a low profile 1” scope tube mount, tue option may get tried at some point. It would be real easy on a chassis rig but they get a little too heavy for my tastes as a handy little hunter. Except for that Howa mini lightweight I built and modded, it’s probably the lightest chassis rifle in the world.
Old 06-25-2020, 10:36 PM

I have a Ruger with a forward mounted 2x7.
I have shot some big game with it but it's not my primary hunting rifle.
It is my truck, quad or leaning in the corner go to grab first gun because it just fits thats utility purpose very well.
I may be different than most but the first one I picked up just felt right.
Old 06-26-2020, 08:05 AM

If this is common knowledge then I'm sorry,but the whole Scout concept was the idea of Jeff Cooper.
The design is about one man surviving on his own. Its more about taking out a villain, cracking an engine block,etc than moose hunting. The idea was an individual would be better served with 308 scout than a m16 or ak thats designed for as he used to say third rate troops working together. One of his books was called To Ride,Shoot Straight and Speak the Truth.
I like the idea of the scout but the forward scope would be awkward in a scabbard. I would only use a Mauser action and the triggers on new guns are so bad I dont even look at them anymore.
Old 06-26-2020, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W921 View Post
If this is common knowledge then I'm sorry,but the whole Scout concept was the idea of Jeff Cooper.
The design is about one man surviving on his own. Its more about taking out a villain, cracking an engine block,etc than moose hunting. The idea was an individual would be better served with 308 scout than a m16 or ak thats designed for as he used to say third rate troops working together. One of his books was called To Ride,Shoot Straight and Speak the Truth.
I like the idea of the scout but the forward scope would be awkward in a scabbard. I would only use a Mauser action and the triggers on new guns are so bad I dont even look at them anymore.
Jeff Cooper didn't invent had "scout rifle " concept but he did advance it .
The scout style rifle was around for quite find time before Cooper started promoting it .
I personally do not like the way they balance and much prefer iron sights of a low powered scope ,
Cat
Old 06-26-2020, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Jeff Cooper didn't invent had "scout rifle " concept but he did advance it .
The scout style rifle was around for quite find time before Cooper started promoting it .
I personally do not like the way they balance and much prefer iron sights of a low powered scope ,
Cat
Do you mean like a 94 carbine in 30/30 or a 30/40 Krag carbine?
I'm just going from memory.
Cooper wanted a light weight,Mauser 308 that could take stripper clips and had a detachable magazine. Forward scope, reserve peeps,bi pod plus his sling system. He always made it sound like it was his concept?
Old 06-26-2020, 10:38 AM

The whole forward mounted scope is the biggest issue I have with Scout Rifles. I have quite a few short, fast handling rifles, some bolts, some levers. Some have peep sights, some have scopes, but all are conventionally mounted. Putting a scope a foot or more from your eye does absolutely nothing to improve the handling of the rifle, speed of target acquisition or accuracy. It also messes with the parallax as it makes getting your eye in exactly the right spot quite a bit more difficult. I also found most scout rifles very heavy and unblanaced.

I get Cooper's man killer design, stripper clips, detachable mag, back up iron sights, quick detach optic, sling system. All of that is easily accomplished while still putting the scope in the conventional location. Guys that like them, should own lots but if I want a 100 yard gun it will not be a 308 (chosen by Copper for ammo availability on the battle field) Scout bolt action; a Marlin 1895 in 45-70 is a whole bunch better option for a hunting rifle.
Old 06-26-2020, 10:44 AM

I have a minty Jungle Carbine from my father in law who passed away a few years ago. Without permanently altering it, plan was to put a modern stock and red dot on it to see how she performs. Already comes with the 10 round mag so good there! Hoping the new stock geometry and proper recoil pad will help with the kicking like a mule part!
Old 06-26-2020, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
The whole forward mounted scope is the biggest issue I have with Scout Rifles. I have quite a few short, fast handling rifles, some bolts, some levers. Some have peep sights, some have scopes, but all are conventionally mounted. Putting a scope a foot or more from your eye does absolutely nothing to improve the handling of the rifle, speed of target acquisition or accuracy. It also messes with the parallax as it makes getting your eye in exactly the right spot quite a bit more difficult. I also found most scout rifles very heavy and unblanaced.

I get Cooper's man killer design, stripper clips, detachable mag, back up iron sights, quick detach optic, sling system. All of that is easily accomplished while still putting the scope in the conventional location. Guys that like them, should own lots but if I want a 100 yard gun it will not be a 308 (chosen by Copper for ammo availability on the battle field) Scout bolt action; a Marlin 1895 in 45-70 is a whole bunch better option for a hunting rifle.
Would you not think a .30-06 is a far better choice than than either 45-70 or .308 for overall up close and personal bush work
It trumps them both in all aspects with a 220 gr RN up front... unless an unlikely situation includes serious brush plowing or shooting through a tree. Even then, the 30-06 holds it own.
Old 06-26-2020, 03:05 PM
Banned

Great input! Thanks folks.. I watched a U tube video that says the scout rifle was designed to engage man sized targets out to 400 meters (yards). The longest shot I've done while hunting whitetails was 310 meters, well within the envelope depicted for the scout rifle. I have purchased a $200.00 long eye relief scope through Amazon last month and it arrived two or three days ago. I haven't tested this Chicom made scope out yet and I'm not expecting anything earth shattering from a cheapo scope. If I'm getting a bit over 1 MOA I'll not complain. I do have a Savage M10 TR that's a bit heavy for hunting, being a long medium contour barrel. Testing soon and range report to follow..I've loaded up some Hornady FMJBT 43 gns of IMR 4895 and a rem case Rem 9 1/2 primers for this test.
Old 06-26-2020, 03:27 PM

Quote:
One is a mauser action in 308 and one is built off a lee enfield in 303. I run either a forward mounted low powered scope or a red dot
Is that a No.5 Lee-Enfield carbine or a reworked No.4 or No1 mkIII?

The Lee-Enfield No.5 “jungle carbine” where designed for the jungles of Asia at the end of WWII already have most of Jeff Cooper’s ideas, detachable ten round magazine, the ability to use stripper clips, iron sights and a sling.

For brush hunting rifle for me would have a minimum 30 cal bore, preferably 35 caliber or larger. A low powered scope or red dot sight with peep sights as backup.
Old 06-26-2020, 03:48 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 303 Hunter View Post

The Lee-Enfield No.5 “jungle carbine” where designed for the jungles of Asia at the end of WWII already have most of Jeff Cooper’s ideas, detachable ten round magazine, the ability to use stripper clips, iron sights and a sling.

For brush hunting rifle for me would have a minimum 30 cal bore, preferably 35 caliber or larger. A low powered scope or red dot sight with peep sights as backup.
I was thinking the same thing...BSA/Lee-Enfield already had this concept/style that's why we all should own one....reliable, durable and proven.

I will skip on a forward mounted low powered scope and just keep open sights....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 06-26-2020, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 303 Hunter View Post

My Enfield is a NO.4 mk.1 with the barrel cut back to 18.75"
Old 06-26-2020, 09:12 PM

Gosh the triggers on those Lee Enfield's (grinning)
Old 06-26-2020, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W921 View Post
Gosh the triggers on those Lee Enfield's (grinning)
Lee Enfields have been loved and hated since they were offered to civilians after the wars .
The triggers can be tuned very well, they can be bedded easily and they can be made accurate .
They are not bedded like a convential rifle however .

My long Branch will still shoot 1.5 MOA or better .
The no.5 is actually a great carbine for hunting but has a reputation for punishing recoil. From ghe bench of prone, yes but shot from the kneeling of offhand they are great rifles .
Cat