Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 06-22-2020, 10:33 PM

Default Hornady ELD-X

Interested on any information from real user on these higher B.C Bullets. How well they grouped & also wondering how well they performed on any harvest I am thinking of reloading a batch of 25 cal 110grn for my 257bee & trying out the 212grn in my 30-378
I am also concerned about short range shots with high velocity out of mentioned cartridges.
Any info would be appreciated.
Old 06-22-2020, 10:37 PM

You should be concerned. Both of your rifles are not suited to thin jacketed bullets like the ELD-X. It's just a regular old cup and core. You run a real risk of that bullet blowing apart at close range. Way better choices out there for hunting bullets for the two cartridges you mention.
Old 06-22-2020, 10:41 PM
Banned

For deer there is no issue. For elk and moose there are better choices.
Run a ladder at 10 thou off the lands and you should get them to group
Old 06-22-2020, 11:28 PM
Banned

Up close there is a chance they will make a mess
I’d look at the heavy bergers for your 30/378
Like the 245gr eol
It will slow it down which isn’t a bad thing and it will give you a very high B.C.
I’ve run 2 bullets before on hunts. Used a really solid up close performer like an a frame. And then had a load made with bergers for longer range. I always had the a frames in the rifle. And if I needed to shoot further I knew I would have time to swap them.
Old 06-23-2020, 04:22 AM

I shoot the 110gr ELDX in my 257 WM @ 3250 FPS they group great sub 1/2" if I do my part, only animal I have taken with them was an antelope at 327 yds, never knew what hit him, bullet performance was great.

I also shoot 143 gr ELDX in my 6.5 PRC, again they group great sub 1/2" and one 3 shot group at .264" out of my Christensen arms mesa long range, have not taken any animals with it yet but will be packing it in the fall, can't see why they wouldn't work just fine at PRC velocities 3000 FPS

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 06-23-2020, 06:52 AM

I would not use the eldx where impact velocities could exceed 3000fps. At higher impact velocities, I prefer a bonded or monometal bullet.
Old 06-23-2020, 07:24 AM

All the new bullets can never compare to a bullet that simply performs and kills the tried,tested and proven Nosler Partition. Expands and kills at close and far range, and velocities,don't let anyone tell you anything different.
Old 06-23-2020, 08:14 AM

I shot 2 bears with the 200gr factory ammo this season with my .300WM

One at about 40 yards and one at 200, both piled up on the spot. One was a pretty small and the other was a decent one.

They shoot well out of my rifle.
Old 06-23-2020, 08:34 AM
Shooting Xs

I've used the 143 ELD-X in my 6.5 CM. at 2700 FPS muzzle velocity,not at your speeds though.Pretty sure Hornady doesn't recommend them for under 150 yard shots.
Anyway , 2 Mule deer,a Doe @275 yds.,a Buck @407 yds. worked as advertised.
Old 06-23-2020, 05:56 PM

Its time cup and core thin jacketed bullets were put under the scrutiny of game laws, just like solids were years ago. And yes I know any bullet can wound.

Bonded lead, or if you like them solid copper alloy simply kill better, with good placement.

As far as bc is concerned is it really that big an issue at ranges up to 400 yards,which is a long shot for most hunters out there
Old 06-23-2020, 06:21 PM

Another 6.5CM. My ELDX 143 grain load chronies at 2780fps.

Used on three animals last year:

Bighorn ram at 175yds. Double lung and full pass thru. He ran about 100yds before expiring. Surprising amount of bloodshot on the impact side shoulder. Exit was not very large.

Mule buck at 150yds. Double lung DRT. Full pass through.

Mule buck at 370yds. Double lung went 10yds. It was a friend that shot this buck, and I don’t know whether there was a pass through.

Overall, I am pleased with this bullet and will continue to use it. I do not see a need to turn our backs on cup and core bullets and legislate against them. They kill just fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-23-2020, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave99 View Post
Another 6.5CM. My ELDX 143 grain load chronies at 2780fps.

Used on three animals last year:

Bighorn ram at 175yds. Double lung and full pass thru. He ran about 100yds before expiring. Surprising amount of bloodshot on the impact side shoulder. Exit was not very large.

Mule buck at 150yds. Double lung DRT. Full pass through.

Mule buck at 370yds. Double lung went 10yds. It was a friend that shot this buck, and I don’t know whether there was a pass through.

Overall, I am pleased with this bullet and will continue to use it. I do not see a need to turn our backs on cup and core bullets and legislate against them. They kill just fine.

The OP is using cartridges that produce 600-700fps more than what you are producing, that makes the bullet far less suitable for his applications.
Old 06-23-2020, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
Its time cup and core thin jacketed bullets were put under the scrutiny of game laws, just like solids were years ago. And yes I know any bullet can wound.

Bonded lead, or if you like them solid copper alloy simply kill better, with good placement.

As far as bc is concerned is it really that big an issue at ranges up to 400 yards,which is a long shot for most hunters out there
There`s not a thing wrong with the proper Cup& Core bullets in the right caliber. They have been successfully used for decades... when hyper muzzle velocities. mono bullets and designer camowear werent the anwser to everything hunting. Keep your impact velocities and bullet weight sane and place the bullet where it counts and they will serve you well.. every time. The same cant always be said for mono`s as can be said for Nosler Partitions. Woodleighs and a host of other C&C`s. Not one bullet I know of `kills better` Some are just consistently more dependable than others.
Old 06-23-2020, 08:55 PM
Shooting Xs

I shot the 143's in my CM because along with hunting I was playing around a bit at long range so the BC's were of use there.
But this year I'll be taking a 7-08 out for deer loading Speer 145 gr. SPBT's at velocities in the 2700-2750 FPS range.I know those bullets will work well to 400-500yds. with confidence at those muzzle speeds.
Old 06-23-2020, 10:17 PM

Default Hornady ELD-X

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
The OP is using cartridges that produce 600-700fps more than what you are producing, that makes the bullet far less suitable for his applications.

Fair enough. I cannot speak much to ELDX performance above the 3000 fps threshold, as I have no personal experience with it.

Conventional wisdom says that bonded or monolithic are best used for the OP’s application, unless the distance to intended target is certain to be greater than 300 yds or so. Or limiting use to deer sized game.

Old 06-28-2020, 11:40 AM

I butchered dozens of Elk,Moose and Deer when I cut meat for a local guide west of Calgary.

On several occasions I found separated cup and core bullets lodged on and in the shoulder blades of animals especially Elk. They were encapsulated by tissue.

They are not suited for heavy bone penetration in most cases. Far better bullets out there for use on larger game.
Old 06-29-2020, 03:22 AM

Quote:
I butchered dozens of Elk,Moose and Deer when I cut meat for a local guide west of Calgary.

On several occasions I found separated cup and core bullets lodged on and in the shoulder blades of animals especially Elk. They were encapsulated by tissue.

They are not suited for heavy bone penetration in most cases. Far better bullets out there for use on larger game.
Boy, that's a pretty solid argument for using a monometal or bonded hunting bullet.

Sent from my SM-A705W using Tapatalk
Old 06-29-2020, 06:50 AM

I've only shot 3 animals using ELDX bullets, all where complete pass throughs and all where drop on spot kills
300 PRC 212 ELDX 2975fps muzzle

Old 06-29-2020, 07:22 AM

I agree with many posters here. Keep the velocity down or they can make a mess. Definitely keep your impacts off of large bones.

That said, they are the most accurate bullet I've shot.

Sent from my SM-N960W using Tapatalk
Old 06-29-2020, 11:10 AM

How many hunters who have shot a large number of animals can honestly say they have never made a less than desirable shot. Hit an animal in heavy bone with a fragile bullet and you may only wound it, needing follow up shot, long tracking job, or the worst case scenario loose the animal.

Well engineered bullets will punch through and kill at decent ranges that still gives them enough energy.

Federal makes a good bonded bullet with a decent BC now.(The name escapes me). Unless you hunt only deer sized game they may be a better choice.

Large frontal bones on Elk and Moose will more often than not stop a fragile bullet getting into the vitals,so it begs the question. Why use them when better bullets are out there?

Last edited by buckman; 06-29-2020 at 11:20 AM.
Old 06-29-2020, 04:51 PM

Quote:
How many hunters who have shot a large number of animals can honestly say they have never made a less than desirable shot. Hit an animal in heavy bone with a fragile bullet and you may only wound it, needing follow up shot, long tracking job, or the worst case scenario loose the animal.

Well engineered bullets will punch through and kill at decent ranges that still gives them enough energy.

Federal makes a good bonded bullet with a decent BC now.(The name escapes me). Unless you hunt only deer sized game they may be a better choice.

Large frontal bones on Elk and Moose will more often than not stop a fragile bullet getting into the vitals,so it begs the question. Why use them when better bullets are out there?
The federal non typical white tail {. 308 in my case} actually has only about .030 BC difference in ballistics compared to my eldx rounds. They are much cheaper to acquire off the shelf. $23 compared to around $55 for the eldx. And shoot better out of my rifle.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk
Old 06-29-2020, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duramaximos View Post
I agree with many posters here. Keep the velocity down or they can make a mess. Definitely keep your impacts off of large bones.

That said, they are the most accurate bullet I've shot.

Sent from my SM-N960W using Tapatalk
X2

They are designed as a long distance hunting round, basically they will perform very well at lower velocities. What is the max distance you plan to hunt at? If it’s under 400m, load them slower and they are very accurate and very dependable.

I reload 178 grain eld-x for my 308, under 2600fps, and within 400m they are the most accurate load I’ve made (savage model 11 .308 with light contour barrel). I’ve taken a white tail at 13m (should have had my bow in hand but it was a darn blizzard) and he only went about 50m before piling up. Took a big mule buck on the run at 75m, dropped him mid stride. Last year I took a 46” bull moose at 214m, shot in the neck- he folded and was dead before he hit the ground. I prefer to hunt at close range, my preference, and so I have no need to push this round fast. At slower velocities the accuracy nodes are easy to find and dial in.

3 shots at 100m, same rifle mentioned above, off a bench. I thought my bases were loose or something was off after the second and third shots, so I walked down to check my target, nothing left to say.
Old 06-30-2020, 09:13 PM

Snap Shot I have used both the ELDX you mention. The 110 257 shoots well out of my257 Bee but I am not sure how reliable they will be. Mine is pushing them at 3574fps. The 212 I could not get to shoot out of 300 Bee in a Sako. I think they need a faster twist than 1 in 10. My buddies Browning X bolt Hells Canyon Long Range likes them a lot but it has a 1 in 8 twist. With your 257 I might try the Nosler Accu Bond in 110. In your 30-378 I would try maybe the Nosler ABLR. Those are just my thoughts. Maybe even look at the Berger 115 VLD in the 257.
Old 07-04-2020, 09:05 PM

i shoot the 143 ELD X in my Long Distance rifle and i have had them out to 960y and they work well and group well i just make sure when i buy them i buy all my boxes with the same lot number and they all preform about the same
Old 07-08-2020, 10:47 PM

Default A lot of truth in what this guy says

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snap Shot View Post
Interested on any information from real user on these higher B.C Bullets. How well they grouped & also wondering how well they performed on any harvest I am thinking of reloading a batch of 25 cal 110grn for my 257bee & trying out the 212grn in my 30-378
I am also concerned about short range shots with high velocity out of mentioned cartridges.
Any info would be appreciated.
https://youtu.be/nAwsoKUXJiI
Check this guy out. Comes across as a bit slow, but you can’t argue with experience.
My take - stick with a bullet that’s designed for game, not a target bullet that’s been re-purposed for game. I’ve tried that route, and the results have been disappointing.
I just got a 257bee myself, and I’ll be using Nosler Partitions for game in it. The 115gr will stay inside a 10” circle out to 388 yards. For me, much further than that and a whole lot of other variables come into play that none of us has any control over, and most are not able to predict.
Like this guy says, our game is far too majestic and deserves our utmost in respect, to be taking shots beyond our ability.
Old 07-09-2020, 06:18 AM

I have noticed two more things with the 143 edxm, the first is that the tips are very soft, and deform very easily when seating, and the second is a huge variation between lots. I deburred my bullet seating stem, but at .002" neck tension, I noticed some marks on some bullets from seating, some very noticeable marks on some bullets. I picked out the most noticeable, and used those to do my sight in, and it didn't seem to effect accuracy. I also had to readjust my seating die by .015" when I changed bullet lots.
Old 07-09-2020, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aardvaark View Post
Check this guy out. Comes across as a bit slow, but you can’t argue with experience.
My take - stick with a bullet that’s designed for game, not a target bullet that’s been re-purposed for game. I’ve tried that route, and the results have been disappointing.
I just got a 257bee myself, and I’ll be using Nosler Partitions for game in it. The 115gr will stay inside a 10” circle out to 388 yards. For me, much further than that and a whole lot of other variables come into play that none of us has any control over, and most are not able to predict.
Like this guy says, our game is far too majestic and deserves our utmost in respect, to be taking shots beyond our ability.
The game we pursue is definitely worth our upmost diligence when it comes to the means we use to hunt them. That said, I don’t personally think a 10” group at 388y is very good at all, and I don’t mean any disrespect. Even with factory ammunition, much better results is easily attainable. Should be able to shoot under 2 moa if we’re trying to kill something. If not, maybe keep your max kill range within 200y.
Old 07-09-2020, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aardvaark View Post
I certainly would not be satisfied with 10" groups, at any distance that I would shoot at a big game animal. I will not shoot at an animal, at any distance where my rifle/load , won't shoot 6" on a regular basis, off of a bench, and I am happier with 4". That kind of accuracy leaves a bit of room for less than ideal field conditions.
Old 07-09-2020, 06:51 PM

Only one way to find out with a new bullet , lots of thoerys out there though .
In a y case I'll be able to let you know after November. Accidentally picked up a box of 162 gr eldx when I was looking for 162 grain sst in 7mm
Old 08-16-2020, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
I certainly would not be satisfied with 10" groups, at any distance that I would shoot at a big game animal. I will not shoot at an animal, at any distance where my rifle/load , won't shoot 6" on a regular basis, off of a bench, and I am happier with 4". That kind of accuracy leaves a bit of room for less than ideal field conditions.
Didn’t mean a 10” group. What I meant to say was that the 10” point blank range of my 257Bee is 388 yards. Sorry I didn’t make it very clear. You’re right, 388 yard group should be closer to 4” or approx 1 MOA, not 10”