Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-27-2020, 09:48 AM
Banned

Default Vacationing in BC

Has anyone been to BC lately for a vacation? I have a 2 week camping vacation coming up to BC and never gave it a thought until someone mentioned it at work. Aren't you worried your trailer or truck are going to get vandalized. I heard of peoples vehicles getting vandalized because they didn't people from Alberta there. Has anyone had any problems or is it safe to go. I'd hate to tell my daughter we can't go because they don't want us there.
Old 06-27-2020, 09:55 AM

According to the news we are invited now, but no mention of camp ground specifically... Call your campground and confirm..?
Old 06-27-2020, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhunter View Post
Has anyone been to BC lately for a vacation? I have a 2 week camping vacation coming up to BC and never gave it a thought until someone mentioned it at work. Aren't you worried your trailer or truck are going to get vandalized. I heard of peoples vehicles getting vandalized because they didn't people from Alberta there. Has anyone had any problems or is it safe to go. I'd hate to tell my daughter we can't go because they don't want us there.
I have a friend there right now with no issues. I hear we are invited now according to Horgan. Not a fan of that guy. Always got the impression that he does not like us but too bad. Go enjoy that beautiful part of Canada.
Old 06-27-2020, 01:03 PM

Drove to and spent 5 days in Kelowna; no funny looks, no issues at all.

People/media focus on the handful of vandalism cases instead of the 99% of travellers who didn't have a problem.
Old 06-27-2020, 01:12 PM

Was there from June 6 to 20th, no problems though non-local travel was discouraged. Was only in the major centres to get gasoline, the rest of the time in the wild or on the lake.
Old 06-27-2020, 01:27 PM

Like everything, there are isolated hot spots where Vandalism and harassment are an issue. The rest of the Province, like 90% you won't have any issues. B.C. has never required inter provincial travelers to self isolate. It only applied to returning International travelers, despite a bunch of the stuff you may have read here and elsewhere. They advised against unnecessary travel and still are but there were no rules about it. Provincial campgrounds are still refusing out of Province bookings as far as I know but I haven't checked recently. You will want to check there are hotels and restaurants available for where you want to go, a lot are still shut down even though they don't have to be.
Old 06-29-2020, 04:21 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by muirsy View Post
Drove to and spent 5 days in Kelowna; no funny looks, no issues at all.

People/media focus on the handful of vandalism cases instead of the 99% of travellers who didn't have a problem.
aint that the truth and that goes for freakin' everything these clowns write about....then it goes stupid because of the 1 percenters.

I know many people that are enjoying BC right now..soon to be me

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 06-29-2020, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
aint that the truth and that goes for freakin' everything these clowns write about....then it goes stupid because of the 1 percenters.

I know many people that are enjoying BC right now..soon to be me
Every second vehicle in the Okanagan is wearing Alberta plates now that it's warmed up and the infection rate seems to be somewhat under control. I haven't heard of a single incident.
Some areas however are requesting that those that don't live there permanently to not visit right now. We have a place on Haida Gwaii that we aren't going to this year due to that very reason, and we live in the same province.
Old 06-29-2020, 08:54 PM

I'm currently doing a training course in Surrey, staying with my parents in Abbotsford and driving my Alberta plated car. No issues so far.
Old 06-27-2020, 01:32 PM

Arrow ... Think Again ❗

No offence meant to Anyone here ... but I'd be 'FAR' More worried about the risks of the COVID Pandemic, than whether there was a risk of my vehicle getting keyed.

My take on this, is that This summer is Not the time to be making unnecessary trips, or travel vacations. Other than day outings to safe places in our own Neck-O'-The-Woods, my family Ain't Goin' Anywhere this summer.

We're calling it our; '2020 Pandemic Staycation' ... and from what we have planned, we're Gonna Have Fun

My two nickels,

Selkirk
Old 06-27-2020, 04:22 PM
Banned

Thanks for everyone's input. I already national park reservations and a private campground and have had no problem booking them. Also a hotel booked. I'm sorry but I can't live by some of the B.S. that the media and health professionals put out there. You keep to yourself and practice proper hygiene and you'll be fine. The media has put too much fear into people. I work in a environment where there there are quite a few people that work in close proximity and there have been no cases. These places where there's outbreaks, you have to look at demographic of people that work there. Stay safe everyone no matter where you travel to.
Old 06-27-2020, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Thanks for everyone's input. I already national park reservations and a private campground and have had no problem booking them. Also a hotel booked. I'm sorry but I can't live by some of the B.S. that the media and health professionals put out there. You keep to yourself and practice proper hygiene and you'll be fine. The media has put too much fear into people. I work in a environment where there there are quite a few people that work in close proximity and there have been no cases. These places where there's outbreaks, you have to look at demographic of people that work there. Stay safe everyone no matter where you travel to.
Agree. Camping has got to be one of the safest things you can do. Lots of space between campsites and most people want a quiet time and no other people invited over. That’s the way I camp. Don’t want to socialize with strangers. Might need to take extra precautions using the public washrooms.
Old 06-27-2020, 05:07 PM

Come to Nelson area, Kootenay Lake. I have lots of friends with businesses here that would appreciate the traffic and I've not heard any negative remark re Albertan tourists.
Old 06-27-2020, 05:29 PM

Horgan hates Alberta and is a self-righteous t-waffle.

https://bc.ctvnews.ca/officials-ask-...-b-c-1.4998541

"If you're coming to British Columbia, be mindful of what British Columbians have done together to get us to a position where we can welcome people from other parts of the country," Horgan said.

The premier had an even warmer message for neighbours in Alberta who own property in B.C.

"I'm certain that they'll be coming for the summer and we welcome them," he said. "We hope they'll abide by the guidance of their neighbours on how to act and comport themselves while they're here."

Not to mention all the anti-pipeline crap he spewed...I will not spend any money on that province if I can help it.
Old 06-27-2020, 05:50 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelsonob1 View Post
Come to Nelson area, Kootenay Lake. I have lots of friends with businesses here that would appreciate the traffic and I've not heard any negative remark re Albertan tourists.
Hippy central

Good thing I found there was the Blue Elderberry !

I'd give (almost) anything to get a cluster or two for seeds !

Last edited by Reeves1; 06-27-2020 at 06:04 PM.
Old 06-27-2020, 06:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
I'm sorry but I can't live by some of the B.S. that the media and health professionals put out there. You keep to yourself and practice proper hygiene and you'll be fine. The media has put too much fear into people.
Couldn’t agree more! The media and social media have people scared of their own shadows these days.
Old 06-27-2020, 11:11 PM

In Bc now, first night of our two week holidays. We’re heading to Kootenay lake just north of Nelson. Private campground and the owner has said he’s had no issues and hasn’t heard of any.
Camping is a great social distancing activity.
The local businesses are going to be desperate for us to come for there livelihood.
The campground we are in tonight is a ghost town. The hiways from Edmonton to Golden today hardly had any RV’s considering it’s the first weekend of summer holiday season.
Hogan invited us via media on Wednesday, and besides, we never were “restricted”, just not recommended that we come prior to Wednesday this week.
Go. Just avoid leaving your vehicle unattended in cities.
Old 06-27-2020, 11:35 PM

So the media reports 1 story and all of a sudden this is a “thing”?!!! Come on people. I’m so tired of this fake animosity driven by money hungry media. We have Alberta plated crews of workers in the kootneys. Zero animosity and just downright good experiences all around. I’m typing this from invermere. The locals at a honey hole fishing lake were super friendly to us, knowing we were a bunch of Albertans looking for a good time.

Bottom line: I suggest to turn off the tv and let’s start living in reality. These tourist towns need red plates. Our tourist towns need blue ones.
FAKE NEWS
Old 06-28-2020, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selkirk View Post

No offence meant to Anyone here ... but I'd be 'FAR' More worried about the risks of the COVID Pandemic, than whether there was a risk of my vehicle getting keyed.

My take on this, is that This summer is Not the time to be making unnecessary trips, or travel vacations. Other than day outings to safe places in our own Neck-O'-The-Woods, my family Ain't Goin' Anywhere this summer.

We're calling it our; '2020 Pandemic Staycation' ... and from what we have planned, we're Gonna Have Fun ā¯—

My two nickels,

Selkirk

Lol yes I think by now everyone on the forum has gathered you’re a basement dweller. Enjoy your stay. You can watch the movie “blast from the past” while whiling away the time
Old 06-28-2020, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selkirk View Post

We're calling it our; '2020 Pandemic Staycation' ... and from what we have planned, we're Gonna Have Fun ā¯—

My two nickels,

Selkirk

Lol yes I think by now everyone on the forum has gathered you’re a basement dweller. Enjoy your stay. You can watch the movie “blast from the past” while whiling away the time
Old 06-29-2020, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gade81 View Post
If we are referencing old movies, Clueless, you could not be more wrong.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....